ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Information needed from 3.0si automatic owners

Hello guys, I need some info from you for comparison. I have been getting a vibration in the car when accelerating hard in second gear. It starts around 3500rpm and only gets more intence on the way to 7000rpm. It does not vibrate on any other gear. Do other people with 3.0si automatics get the same vibration or is there something wrong with the car? For the past couple of weeks I have been basically living in the dealership and they still can't find the source. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
A video would help your cause, as well as a description of the vibration. Is it high frequency or low? By getting more intense, does the volume increase or does the frequency increase? Is the vibration only there when your foot is down or is it there all the time at constant volume?

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

well the guibo or whatever they call it may be seperating, its the hard rubber part that connects the drive shaft to the trans, when they start going you get a vibration as your car builds on speed on hard acceleration they start to deform and the drive shaft starts to go out of balance this will cause vibration and it only does this under hard acceleration, you cant see it unless you pull the exhast and heat sheild off, so its not easy to diagnose, had a simular problem in the 3 series, found out to be the rubber guibo, still not sure of the name. as far as gear goes this also may still be the cause as the torqe from second gear may be enufe to cause it to start pulling apart and the other gears may not have the torqe but then again im just guessing.

id try this before trying bigger fish like something in the tranny

Last edited by -c-; 04-19-2011 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
well the guibo or whatever they call it may be seperating, its the hard rubber part that connects the drive shaft to the trans, when they start going you get a vibration as your car builds on speed on hard acceleration they start to deform and the drive shaft starts to go out of balance this will cause vibration and it only does this under hard acceleration, you cant see it unless you pull the exhast and heat sheild off, so its not easy to diagnose, had a simular problem in the 3 series, found out to be the rubber guibo, still not sure of the name. as far as gear goes this also may still be the cause as the torqe from second gear may be enufe to cause it to start pulling apart and the other gears may not have the torqe but then again im just guessing.

id try this before trying bigger fish like something in the tranny
I will make a video tomorrow, but I am not sure if ppl will be able to hear the vibration
Its called a hanging ball bearing and I changed it last week. Still the same. The virbration is high frequency, and gets lauder towards the end of the rpm band. Its not there when I hold the throttle in place, only when accelerating.

Last edited by Arxangel; 04-19-2011 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Here is a link with a video:

Accelerating in manual mode, 2nd gear, from around 20km/h. As I thought, you cannot hear the vibration in the video, but I can tell you it is there. At the end of the day it does not matter what kind of a vibration it is, if other people have it they will know of what I am talking about and will be able to contribute.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

ok i tried, now just to make sure we are talking about the same thing

the part im talking about is #1 on this picture. that is the part that will cause vibration if its stressed.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #7
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
ok i tried, now just to make sure we are talking about the same thing

the part im talking about is #1 on this picture. that is the part that will cause vibration if its stressed.

Aha, ok, well I actually replaced number 7, 8, and 2. They were in pretty bad shape. Number one is in perfect condition and it is called a flange.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
Aha, ok, well I actually replaced number 7, 8, and 2. They were in pretty bad shape. Number one is in perfect condition and it is called a flange.
yea that’s the problem with these things, the dealer calls them a "guibo" not sure of the spelling it’s a name brought back from the e30 days of your, so the technical term is another matter

on the other hand they do happen to look perfectly fine as when they start to separate they only do so under stress and torque. mine also looked fine on the 3 series, but after removing it and flexing it the tear showed up, their rubber after all. Plus you said the otehr parts where in ruff condition so its possable it could have something to do with it. depending on their state of damage the vibration can go from a small vibration to a very ruff violent vibration. its still a young car so it may be fine but stranger things do happen. does the vibration accelerate with speed or is it a very fast and constant vibration that does not change with speed?

A test you could try is while the car is off the ground put it in drive and start the operation as if you where on the road to see if the vibration returns, then unhook the drive shaft and repeat and see if the vibration is coming from other factors, if the drive shaft is removed and the vibration is still their then it’s a safe bet it’s in the transmission. but you may need torque to make the vibration come into play, have no idea. I’m just thinking of how you could trace the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Part number 1, the one I think you are speaking of is not rubber. It is probably steel. The vibration occurs only on load with rapid increase in rpm, the speed does not have an effect if I am not flooring the throttle. There is a strange whistle-like noise, sometimes, when I floor it very rapidly just as the transmission begins to shift down. At this point I am pretty sure it is the transmission and after the holidays I will have it removed and sent to inspection to see if it really is the problem. If it could be repaired it would be great, if not I guess I will be putting a new one in.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Part number 1, the one I think you are speaking of is not rubber. It is probably steel. The vibration occurs only on load with rapid increase in rpm, the speed does not have an effect if I am not flooring the throttle. There is a strange whistle-like noise, sometimes, when I floor it very rapidly just as the transmission begins to shift down. At this point I am pretty sure it is the transmission and after the holidays I will have it removed and sent to inspection to see if it really is the problem. If it could be repaired it would be great, if not I guess I will be putting a new one in.
Part 1 is actually hard rubber with steel inserts for the connecting bolts...

I have replaced several of them....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Part 1 is actually hard rubber with steel inserts for the connecting bolts...

I have replaced several of them....

EXZACLEY !

BMW has used this sort of design since ive had my e30 and they do fail and do casue vibration, they are rubber and sometimes fail, it is not metal and again they will only vibrate during hard acceleration as they are getting stressed, the car will drive fine otherwise and will not vbrate or act stragley if drven normally. i would check it first before pulling the trans as its a cheaper alternative if its the case. but then again who knows do what you think is right.

the wistle you speak of i get that two and is normal as far as i can tell and my car drives fine. the 3 series i had, had the same issue you speak of and would only vibrate under hard acceleration and got worse over time. tuned out to be the part in queschin.

but still if you feel better pulling the trans thats fine as its hard to diagnose on the tube, id have to drive the car to really be able to tell. good luck

also the fact that you said the other parts around the rubber part where in bad shape leads me to belive it also is not in prime shape either and should have been replaced when you had all the other stuff out, but you thinking it was steel or something like that, i understand why you would not have touched it.

Last edited by -c-; 04-21-2011 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
EXZACLEY !

BMW has used this sort of design since ive had my e30 and they do fail and do casue vibration, they are rubber and sometimes fail, it is not metal and again they will only vibrate during hard acceleration as they are getting stressed, the car will drive fine otherwise and will not vbrate or act stragley if drven normally. i would check it first before pulling the trans as its a cheaper alternative if its the case. but then again who knows do what you think is right.

the wistle you speak of i get that two and is normal as far as i can tell and my car drives fine. the 3 series i had, had the same issue you speak of and would only vibrate under hard acceleration and got worse over time. tuned out to be the part in queschin.

but still if you feel better pulling the trans thats fine as its hard to diagnose on the tube, id have to drive the car to really be able to tell. good luck

also the fact that you said the other parts around the rubber part where in bad shape leads me to belive it also is not in prime shape either and should have been replaced when you had all the other stuff out, but you thinking it was steel or something like that, i understand why you would not have touched it.
In any case, they will have remove the drive shaft before they remove the transmission so I will have it checked out, but just to be sure, even if there is something wrong with it I will still have the transmission checked out in order to reduce the number of removals of a lot of stuff if the problem is not in part 1.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In any case, they will have remove the drive shaft before they remove the transmission so I will have it checked out, but just to be sure, even if there is something wrong with it I will still have the transmission checked out in order to reduce the number of removals of a lot of stuff if the problem is not in part 1.
sounds good man! good luck and hope its an easy fix, dealers latley are better for removal and replace of a said item gone bad, they have been getting worse and worse on diagnosing issues, but i geuss with all the teck now in cars it would be.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Quote:
sounds good man! good luck and hope its an easy fix, dealers latley are better for removal and replace of a said item gone bad, they have been getting worse and worse on diagnosing issues, but i geuss with all the teck now in cars it would be.
The thing is, the transmission does not throw any error codes, but the whistle-like noise comes from it when I floor the throttle rapidly and I am guessing there is a problem with down shifting rapidly. Here in Bulgaria BMW does not allow the dealers to repair transmissions. There is an independent company that is the only one in Bulgaria licensed by BMW to repair their auto transmissions so I will have to send it to them once I have it removed in the dealership. If it can be fixed, they will fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
Arxangel
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0si  [8.50]
Update:
I had the transmission opened and checked out, it turned out that the problem was in the torque converter. In addition to the vibrations there was a squealing sound when the gearbox was shifting from higher gears to 2nd gear. After the torque converter was replaced there was no more squealing and the vibrations were also gone. Furthermore, I have the feeling that the engine and the transmission are much more responsive now and the car actually accelerates much better, and possibly faster, than before (I am guessing a bad torque converter could cause problems with acceleration and responsiveness).

I am so happy now because this was the only problem keeping me from moving forward with power mods and now that the problem has been resolved I can finally get to work.
Appreciate 0