ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #23
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALCHEMIST1 View Post
After trying everything suggested by all the kind folks here, nothing resolved the central locking button inoperative issue. However, something that Scott Johnson had asked me kept nagging at me in the back of my mind. He had asked "Are both the Hazard and locking functions on the button inoperative, or just the locking button?".

The Hazard function works fine, so he didn't think it would be a broken switch. However, I decided to confirm that the switch is intact. Turns out that the switch is broken.

This appears to be a common issue with our cars.

I used a small jeweler's screwdriver to pry out the switch and it looks like the previous owner tried to fix the switch using glue of some sort but did not do a very good job of it. The Hazard half of the switch makes contact with the bottom and so this function works fine, but the central locking button half does not and so depressing this button does exactly nothing. Holding down the bottom of the switch and then depressing the locking button makes it function again and the doors lock and unlock just fine.

The problem now is that the glue has been so injudiciously applied that the connector is physically glued to the switch. I now need to figure out how to get the connector out of the switch so that I can replace the switch with a new one.

See the attached images that show the issue with the switch - the glue shows up all over the switch as a gunky white residue. If anyone has these symptoms in their car, maybe this information will help them...

Now to figure out how to get the connector out of this broken switch. Any ideas, anyone?
Since the switch is shot anyway I'd be getting out my Dremel tool and carefully cutting away the black plastic to remove the shroud that covers the brown connector from the harness. That might at least free it from the switch where you can get better access to fully free it.
      10-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #24
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

At under 25 bucks, I would just buy a new switch. Then you should be good for the foreseeable future....
http://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/6...FG36-V674.aspx
Appreciate 0