ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Thumbs up CG Lock

We bought CG Locks for our track day yesterday. If you don't have a racing harness/seat these do a really good job of keeping you solid in your seat. No more bracing yourself to keep from sliding around, and you can brake hard w/o sliding at all. Just a win all the way around--and cheap relative to most mods.

Jdl1pt found them for 37 bucks or so on Amazon.

Last edited by Finnegan; 04-02-2011 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
We bought CG Locks for our track day yesterday. If you don't have a racing harness/seat these do a really good job of keeping you solid in your seat. No more bracing yourself to keep from sliding around, and you can brake hard w/o sliding at all. Just a win all the way around--and cheap relative to most mods.

Jdl1pt found them for 37 bucks or so on Amazon.
Amazon link no good but found on my own. Never heard of this but good find, definitely picking one up!

Btw saw the install video, am I seeing this right, does it screw into the plastic?

Last edited by 3002 tii; 04-02-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Amazon link no good but found on my own. Never heard of this but good find, definitely picking one up!
(Link fixed)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

Shop around, I found them on sale back in sept for $30.

+1 on must haves for tracking and autocross!

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

they only hold the bottom part of the belt tight, not the shoulder part, right?
      04-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
they only hold the bottom part of the belt tight, not the shoulder part, right?
Correct. But the claim is 80% of the control of a full harness. I don't know about that, but having you lower body locked in place sure allows for greater control while driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #7
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I might get this in addition to my Sparco Rev seat because I find that I still slip and slide around even with the full bucket cloth Rev.

BTW, does anyone know any upholstery hook-ups? Both of my Sparco Revs are starting to get worn/ripped on the left edge where my butt slides down/into the seat from the driver (left-hand) side

If I can't get them re-upholstered for a decent price, then I might just sell them for cheap and get some Recaro PP's or something
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
I might get this in addition to my Sparco Rev seat because I find that I still slip and slide around even with the full bucket cloth Rev.

BTW, does anyone know any upholstery hook-ups? Both of my Sparco Revs are starting to get worn/ripped on the left edge where my butt slides down/into the seat from the driver (left-hand) side

If I can't get them re-upholstered for a decent price, then I might just sell them for cheap and get some Recaro PP's or something
No but p90x + Jenny Craig might be cheaper?

lol
      04-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I have one also. Broke it at my last event in Feb. The spring arm broke.

But I find that now I don't need it. I, for me, found a better way.

Go to Walmart, Kmart etc, and pickup a roll of that tacky rubber bubble/bead type of kitchen matting. Drape a three foot section on the back of your seat before you sit down. This keeps your upper body from moving and won't damage the seat.

Then put the seat all the way back. Quickly pull the shoulder belt to lockit in place and move the seat forward. I use seat memory for my driving position anyway so I just pres the button. This will make the belt TIGHT.

This locks me into the seat... Almost as good as harness's. almost.... but better than normal..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post

Go to Walmart, Kmart etc, and pickup a roll of that tacky rubber bubble/bead type of kitchen matting. Drape a three foot section on the back of your seat before you sit down. This keeps your upper body from moving and won't damage the seat.

Then put the seat all the way back. Quickly pull the shoulder belt to lockit in place and move the seat forward. I use seat memory for my driving position anyway so I just pres the button. This will make the belt TIGHT.

This locks me into the seat... Almost as good as harness's. almost.... but better than normal..
That is BRILLIANT!!!! We have a couple of rolls left over from what I got to organize our craftsman tool cabinet. Should have known if it keeps our wenches in place it would keep our butts in place too!

Shipkiller gets the McGuyver Award of the Day. ::

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
No but p90x + Jenny Craig might be cheaper?

lol
what a cock!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:

car magazines use this method -minus the kitchen stuff
      04-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
With the CG lock, my butt was locked into place, but my upper body would move around.

One of the instructors told me about the 'kitchen stuff'. I was skeptical but hell, it's only $5 at Walmart. Damn if it don't work....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #14
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
One of the instructors told me about the 'kitchen stuff'. I was skeptical but hell, it's only $5 at Walmart. Damn if it don't work....
If we were smart, one of us would have this stuff manufactured in "hella rad" colors (with racing stripes - LOL!) shaped to slip over your seats and sell them for $45 or $50 a piece to support or track habits...

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:

Excellent advice. I knew of the Lock-It method...going to incorporate both now for the next auto-x
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

You can also achieve the same result (if you have power seats) by moving your seat back away from your normal track-seating position by 6 inches or so, jerking the shoulder strap to lock it and then move your seat forward to your track-seating position. If you do this correctly, the seat-belt will stay locked. The trick is that you should move back far enough that when you return forward the shoulder strap should be a touch over uncomfortably tight (things will loosen a tiny touch as you start driving).
      04-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #17
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

I'll have to give the kitchen mat a try. I did go ahead and order the CG Lock from Amazon (gotta love Amazon Prime!). I still would like to put harnesses in the car, but refused to do so until I've got a roll bar, and that's a slippery slope.
      04-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #18
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

I used to use one when I thought our belts couldn't be locked, but they can.

unbuckle your seatbelt and let it retract about 6 inches then tug real hard and fast get get it to lock keeping tension on it, then try to buckle it by breathing out all the way.

It takes a couple tries to get right but the end result is not only a tight lap belt like the cglock provides but also a tight shoulder belt which is WAY WAY more effective at making you stay in your seat.

If you're driving fast preventing your torso from going forward (with the wheel and pedals) is the worst part.
      04-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #19
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
You can also achieve the same result (if you have power seats) by moving your seat back away from your normal track-seating position by 6 inches or so, jerking the shoulder strap to lock it and then move your seat forward to your track-seating position. If you do this correctly, the seat-belt will stay locked. The trick is that you should move back far enough that when you return forward the shoulder strap should be a touch over uncomfortably tight (things will loosen a tiny touch as you start driving).
I don't like using the seat, it's easier but you never know for sure when you move it if you'll be in the right spot with the right tension.

Plus I have a race seat with no sliders so I can't, lol.
      04-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #20
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

I'm going to give the "lockit" approach a shot. Keeping your head in the same place, which means keeping the rest of your body from moving, seems very important to smoothness and control. The car goes where you're looking, and if you move your head off the line you want to be on (say you're focusing on the apex or exit) and your head moves, then it's hard to keep that line.

Keeping the head steady is a constant with all sports--golf, tennis, baseball, football, etc. Move your head and you either miss the ball or are way off target.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #21
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I sent an email to the CG Lock company wanting to know how to get a new spring for my CG.

They sent back that they are sending me a new CGLock and a pre-paid envelope is included to send back the broken one.............
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #22
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
If you're driving fast preventing your torso from going forward (with the wheel and pedals) is the worst part.
Preventing your torso from going forward is the worst part? Explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Keeping the head steady is a constant with all sports--golf, tennis, baseball, football, etc. Move your head and you either miss the ball or are way off target.
Mine is usually contributed to going with a snap hook off the tee...just saying
Appreciate 0