ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #45
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
yes, but it sure doesn't look as nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #46
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
I have a 2005 z4 with nav, cd changer and premium sound....

Will this mod work? I'm assuming it will, but I wanna check before I drop the $$ on this mod.

thanks,
CK
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #47
sstock99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Aux Input

My Z4 is a 2003. I removed the plug from the back of the radio as described but in the location where the aux input should go was a plug with 2 brown wires. I removed that jack and inserted the newly purchased aux input then reinstalled into radio. No power to radio, not even light up. So undid and placed the plug with brown wires back after much hand torture. No power, shit.....the radio doesn't even light up... Any ideas?? I would really like to use the aux input and have the radio work again. Help

Guidance appreciated.
Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #48
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstock99 View Post
My Z4 is a 2003. I removed the plug from the back of the radio as described but in the location where the aux input should go was a plug with 2 brown wires. I removed that jack and inserted the newly purchased aux input then reinstalled into radio. No power to radio, not even light up. So undid and placed the plug with brown wires back after much hand torture. No power, shit.....the radio doesn't even light up... Any ideas?? I would really like to use the aux input and have the radio work again. Help

Guidance appreciated.
Steve
Did u disconnect the battery before taking the head unit out?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #49
sstock99
Registered
Rep

aux

no. i unplugged harness from rear of radio, but did not remove it from dash.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #50
sstock99
Registered
Rep

aux input

I tried the install the EZ way via the under dash blind,etc. I am unable to connect harness back into radio with confidence blind,,since radio no work anymore.I'm thinking maybe it's not seated properly. Or I did something to make the radio think it was being stolen so now it's dead.. <How do i wake it up if that's the case?> so i tried the remove vent technique to be sure the harness is well seated. Getting the prongs to release from the vent has been tough since they don't protrude at all. So stymied again!:sad0147:

The extra 12 pin connector that i referred to in an earlier post with 2 brown wires..apparently this may be the wiring for Sirrius sat antenna. ??? Is that maybe correct? Since i'm not using Sat radio i should be able to swap that 12 pin for the new one, i think..

BTW if i did something wrong power wise is there a link to resetting radio to work?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #51
sstock99
Registered
Rep

Aux Input

ok, in and working. sounds very good. My only suggestion to those who may try this is to go via removing the vent route. Removing the vent is not all peaches and cream though. I found on my 03 that in addition to the 2 clips on the upper side of the vent 2 more on the lower most outer edge . THAT is where I found the sliding credit card in , one for each side allow the vent unit to be removed ,when combined with the release on the upper 2 tabs. One you get the vent out the job is 10 minutes.

Thanks to all that have come before who have written on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #52
etane
Rep
Drives: '03 Zed 3.0

I have installed the aux in the "easy" way through the panel below the AC. The installation was easier than described since I didn't have to remove any din plugs and do any re-wiring before plugging in the aux in'd din input.

I bought a Samsung K3 and am plugging it in the aux input. I have to raise the volume to max to somewhat match the volume output of the head unit's other sources. However, I suspect this will leave me with a shorter interval between recharges.

I read in other forums that you can adjust the volume of the aux in, but I can't seem to do it on my 03 Z4 3.0 with DSP Business CD receiver. Perhaps, there's not an aux input level adjuster for my model.

I also ordered a 1/8" to 1/8" one piece adapter. This will allow me to "sit" the K3 on the aux input as the K3's headphone out is on the bottom. This adapter is very hard to find...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #53
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
great how to but there is a trick to pluging the harness back into the head/unit, the latch/lever HAS TO BE OPEN to plug the connecter into the headunit. very important piece of info. this will save you anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes of frustration.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #54
emv
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i '04

Aux Input Problem

Hey!

First time poster here Glad to be part of such a great forum!

I read through a bunch of articles about installing the auxiliary input on your own and wanted to do the same. I recently installed an XM radio and wanted to connect it to my factory headunit through an auxiliary input.

So today I went and picked up one from a local BMW dealership. Followed the steps on this forum and ran into a big problem. I'm hoping someone here will know what the problem is!

INFO:
- '04 BMW Z4 3.0i w/ Business CD - DSP (premium audio, no nav).
- Aux Input from BMW dealer (coin/ashtray version).

ISSUE:
- When the aux cable from my XM radio isn't plugged in the AUX mode shows up.
- When the aux cable is touching the aux input I can hear the audio from the XM radio coming through the right side speakers.
- When the aux cable is pushed all the way in the aux input I can hear everything perfect like it should be but only for a split second then the HU will switch to the radio.
- If the aux cable is push all the way in the aux input it makes the AUX mode become unavailable.

Things I've noticed:
- If the XM radio's power lighter plug isn't on then the AUX mode will show up if the aux cable is all the way in like it should be.
- Turning off the HU's DSP has no effect on the AUX mode working correctly or not.
- Turning the volume down when plugging in the aux cable in has no effect.
- Turning the input level down on the XM radio has no effect.

I have no idea what might be causing the problem other than a possible faulty AUX Input cable or HU... That doesn't seem very logical though.

Please help! I'd be very much greatful!

-I'll be calling the BMW service center tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #55
emv
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i '04

Doh!!!

Above problem solved!

Turns out all I needed to do was screw everything back in. I wanted to leave the vent unclipped and the ashtray console not pushed down all the way (screwed in) in case it didn't work... Well that was the cause of it not working!!

The only thing I can think of being the culprit of the AUX failure is that the power coming from the XM radio just wasn't being grounded correctly with everything still unscrewed... leaving me screwed (pun intended)!

Yes, I'm a noob. lol

I'll post some pictures of my XM setup soon (need to get my camera back from a friend).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #56
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

i don't suppose anyone has the missing pics to this posting? i want to do this install, and would love to see what it would look like.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #57
Haretakis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Silver Z4 M Coupe

I cannot see the pictures on the original post.....Any way someone could fix this so I can go ahead and enjoy music in my Z?
      09-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #58
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

^ Probably because the orignal post, including much of the discussion is over a year old.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #59
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Where has everyone placed their AUX IN port?, I placed mine in the black panel under the A/C controls.

09' 2.0 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Civic Si - Current
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #60
denial512
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

I can't believe a piece of plastic and some wires cost $90 bucks on BAVAuto. That's highway robbery. Parts cost to make is like a dollar.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #61
panicopticon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

After playing around with installing the Aux input for a little while I thought I'd contribute my experiences. I took some photos (but probably not enough) along the way, in the hopes that it helps.

BFest Z4 Aux Install Instructions

BFest Z4 Vent Removal Instructions

The method I used for removing the vents seemed to work pretty well. I cut two strips of credit card just a bit narrower than the openings for the vent clips. I inserted them at an upward angle, towards the front of the latch openings and wiggled them till they slipped over the top of the latches. A gentle tug and the assembly came out. The latch openings are only maybe .25-.5" back in the vents, really just behind where the slats end (see photos).

Following the directions from earlier posts there is a swing latch that connects the radio to the radio wiring harness, lift it up gently to release it. There is a press latch that attaches the antenna wire to the radio, its located on the right side of the antenna connector, you may need a small screw driver to depress it to get it to release.

I used the E46 cable (as recommended in an earlier post), which I got from eBay for $35 shipped. To use this cable you'll need to remove the gray plastic housing from the outside of the connector, there is a latch on one side of it, simple lift and the black plastic connector inside should release and slide out. Then remove the wires from the black plastic connector. You'll probably need a knife or paperclip to depress the latches for each pin.

You'll then need to remove the black connector from the radio wiring harness assembly (its the one on the lower left in the photos). Besides the position, it only has two wires going into it -- brown/black and black/gray as I recall. This connector is held into the wiring harness by a latch located at the rear. Depress the latch and pull and it should release. You'll notice that like the E46 harness, this is harness is also composed of two pieces. You want to remove the retainer housing of this harness. Slide the wires in to the connector in the locations described in the BFest link above.

Put the assembled cable back into the radio wiring harness, it should click into place snugly.

Rather than modify the ashtray, I slacked off and fed the aux wire down into the passenger wheel well near the map holder, using the time tested coat hanger method. I secured the wire in the dash under the ash try to insure that it doesn't place any stress on the radio wiring harness.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by panicopticon; 03-28-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #62
Samjam927
The One And Only
Rep
Drives: 2006 TiAg ///M Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4M Roadster  [10.00]
2003 Z4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicopticon View Post
After playing around with installing the Aux input for a little while I thought I'd contribute my experiences. I took some photos (but probably not enough) along the way, in the hopes that it helps.

BFest Z4 Aux Install Instructions

BFest Z4 Vent Removal Instructions

The method I used for removing the vents seemed to work pretty well. I cut two strips of credit card just a bit narrower than the openings for the vent clips. I inserted them at an upward angle, towards the front of the latch openings and wiggled them till they slipped over the top of the latches. A gentle tug and the assembly came out. The latch openings are only maybe .25-.5" back in the vents, really just behind where the slats end (see photos).

Following the directions from earlier posts there is a swing latch that connects the radio to the radio wiring harness, lift it up gently to release it. There is a press latch that attaches the antenna wire to the radio, its located on the right side of the antenna connector, you may need a small screw driver to depress it to get it to release.

I used the E46 cable (as recommended in an earlier post), which I got from eBay for $35 shipped. To use this cable you'll need to remove the gray plastic housing from the outside of the connector, there is a latch on one side of it, simple lift and the black plastic connector inside should release and slide out. Then remove the wires from the black plastic connector. You'll probably need a knife or paperclip to depress the latches for each pin.

You'll then need to remove the black connector from the radio wiring harness assembly (its the one on the lower left in the photos). Besides the position, it only has two wires going into it -- brown/black and black/gray as I recall. This connector is held into the wiring harness by a latch located at the rear. Depress the latch and pull and it should release. You'll notice that like the E46 harness, this is harness is also composed of two pieces. You want to remove the retainer housing of this harness. Slide the wires in to the connector in the locations described in the BFest link above.

Put the assembled cable back into the radio wiring harness, it should click into place snugly.

Rather than modify the ashtray, I slacked off and fed the aux wire down into the passenger wheel well near the map holder, using the time tested coat hanger method. I secured the wire in the dash under the ash try to insure that it doesn't place any stress on the radio wiring harness.

Hope this helps.
um....what? Can someone whose doing this now link to the exact pieces needed for someone dumb like me to understand, with a step by step pictorial?? not having an iPod hookup is driving me crazy
      11-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #63
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^i recently retrofitted the ashtray aux input available from tischer bmw for the z4's. there's absolutely no requirement to remove the center air-conditioning vents or the radio head unit itself. if u are retrofitting the panel linked by panicopticon (nice writeup) posted by ron stygar, then ur installation will be even simpler. i wanted a clean setup and opted for the ashtray option, which looks and functions perfect.

all tt's required is removing the panel directly below the hvac controls, and with one hand and the connector end, feel around the back of the radio head unit and snap the connector in at the very bottom-left of the radio head unit when u are looking at it in the car. per panicopticon's picture of the back of the head unit, it is the bottom-most connector on the right side. unless u have sat radio or multi-cd, this connector slot will be empty and the aux will plug-and-play directly.

try it, it took me all of 10 minutes!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #64
Samjam927
The One And Only
Rep
Drives: 2006 TiAg ///M Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4M Roadster  [10.00]
2003 Z4  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
^i recently retrofitted the ashtray aux input available from tischer bmw for the z4's. there's absolutely no requirement to remove the center air-conditioning vents or the radio head unit itself. if u are retrofitting the panel linked by panicopticon (nice writeup) posted by ron stygar, then ur installation will be even simpler. i wanted a clean setup and opted for the ashtray option, which looks and functions perfect.

all tt's required is removing the panel directly below the hvac controls, and with one hand and the connector end, feel around the back of the radio head unit and snap the connector in at the very bottom-left of the radio head unit when u are looking at it in the car. per panicopticon's picture of the back of the head unit, it is the bottom-most connector on the right side. unless u have sat radio or multi-cd, this connector slot will be empty and the aux will plug-and-play directly.

try it, it took me all of 10 minutes!
oh i get it, so u just buy a plug then just pop it in, can u get the link for the exact plug? As long as i don't have satellite radio or a changer this will work?? thanks
      11-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #65
gearl
Love My Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0I

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Nice recovery 6sp
- an update to this is to buy an '07 underpanel that come c/w the aux in.
Then you don't need to mod the ashtray.
i cannot locate this do you know what part number this is?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #66
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjam927 View Post
oh i get it, so u just buy a plug then just pop it in, can u get the link for the exact plug? As long as i don't have satellite radio or a changer this will work?? thanks
the specific part number is 82110142174, aux adaptor for z4. it's $68 on tischer (search using the part number) and not particularly worth it if u're simply looking to add an aux input (the 07, 08 models use the aux input panel thing under the hvac that can be had for cheaper). i decided on the ash tray setup cos i wanted a perfectly clean, discreet and oem look.
Appreciate 0