ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #1
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

OBD2 Scanning

Hi everyone,

I've got a Service Engine Soon light on, and the local auto store won't lend me a scanner (relatively new law in california). I know I can keep trying various stores, and the right employee will let me, but that seems like more hassle than it's worth. So I thought I'd get my own scanner. However, I know these days, it doesn't make much sense to buy a conventional scanner tool, since there are USB OBD2 cables and even bluetooth OBD2 adapters to turn our laptop or cell phones into the scanner tool. I'm convinced I want to go this route, unless there are compelling reasons to stay old school. What are some software that people recommend? Freeware preferred, but not required. At the moment, I'm only looking for the ability to read the codes and clear the codes via the OBD2 port.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I got the BAFX Bluetooth scan tool and use Torque for Android. I paid for the pro version since there are more functionalities offered. So far so good for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
I got the BAFX Bluetooth scan tool and use Torque for Android. I paid for the pro version since there are more functionalities offered. So far so good for me.
I have an iphone so Torque isn't supported. I assume I could install Torque on my win7 laptop?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Oh, that is too bad. I don't think Torque works with Windows. Maybe find an old android phone?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
MYovichZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
I have an iphone so Torque isn't supported. I assume I could install Torque on my win7 laptop?
Check out DashCommand, it's supported for both Android & iPhone.

2007 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster / Silver Grey
BMW CCA 492691
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Beware of Bluetooth on Apple.
I have DashCommand and had to go WiFi.
You can buy a BMW specific code scanner for less than I paid for a KiWi-II WiFi.
      03-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #7
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions and tips guys, keep them coming. I think I will ultimately prefer to pair to my win7 laptop, since something that will stay constant for me is pc-based computers (phones are more likely to switch around).

My coworker is lending me his scanner in the meantime to check and clear my code, but I am going to do a bit of research so I can have a scanner for myself. Now I'm just not in a rush, thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #8
Jroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Keep us updated with your findings
      03-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jroc View Post
Keep us updated with your findings
Will do. Turns out my coworker can't find his scanner, so I'm on my own. I've actually got a DimSport MyGenius/Active Autowerke Simon controller - while this cannot read or clear codes (the Simon 2, the newer version, can), it does provide me with an obd2 to DB25 cable. So being the cheap bastard that I am, I've ordered a DB25 to USB cable from Hong Kong on ebay for a whopping $2.08 shipped. It will take 2-4 weeks to arrive.

In the meantime, I'm going to play on the software side - I've got Torque downloaded on my pc, and I'm going to play around with android emulators and the Torque program and see if I can get it functional. I've also got OBD Auto Doctor (which appears to be a PC-based program).

I'm going to travel for the next few days, but if I find the time, I may spring for a bluetooth obd2 unit and mess around with that while I wait for my cable to arrive (my laptop has bluetooth). Or I may just buy an OBD2-USB cable for like 9 bucks. We'll see.

The reason I'm not really in a rush is that I'm 90% sure it's a P0420 code on account of my 300 cell DKF cats. Plus it's been on for well over 1200 miles (the Service Engine Soon light came on early during my 1100 mile drive home after I purchased it) and the S54 is running strong as ever.

Anyway, I'll most likely play with a few different hardware and software configurations and I'll post up my results/reviews accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #10
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

So I went ahead and bought the BAFX bluetooth adapter. I was debating getting a chinese no-brand unit for 5-8$, but decided against it since they all had mediocre reviews (lots of DOA/not working), and the BAFX unit had overwhelmingly positive reviews. I opened the box, and was disappointed to see it was also made in china (as evidenced by the stamp) and felt pretty cheap. But who cares, as long as it works.

I stuck it into my Acura RSX as the guinea pig and paired it to my laptop. Success. Great. I fired up OBDAutoDoctor (pc program) and it connected - no DTC's and catalyst was not ready. Sounds about right, I had the battery disconnected not too long ago and haven't driven it more than ~150 miles since.

So I then stuck the BAFX unit into my Z and read my code. As suspected, P0420. However, I also got Freeze Frame trouble codes - I don't really know what the heck this is. Does anyone have any insight? By the way, this is a testament to why I wanted a pc-based solution. Easy print-screen and upload to the forums. I concede that you can also do that with a phone, but I spend lots of time with computers and they are simply more versatile and simple for me. Anyway, I cleared the code/reset the ECU, but just wanted to post up the "freeze frame" results and see if anyone knows what this is in the first place, and then, if so, what do the results mean.

I then stuck the unit back in my RSX and tried running Torque with the Andy android emulator for pc. While Torque runs fine in the emulator, I was not able to get it to detect or pair with the BAFX unit, so I gave that up. OBDAutoDoctor seems to do the trick anyway, so there you have it, a $24.00 solution for a wireless scanner. Pretty slick. I still have a hardwired solution when that DB25 to USB adapter comes, so I'll see if that can work easily. Then, the solution could have been as cheap as 9$ (OBD2 to USB cable) with the only drawback being it is a wired solution instead of wireless.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
... I don't really know what the heck this is. Does anyone have any insight?
It's like a core dump of several parameter values at the instant the P0420 code set.
Presumably one or more values are off nominal.
      03-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #12
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
It's like a core dump of several parameter values at the instant the P0420 code set.
Presumably one or more values are off nominal.
Thanks, that was sort of my guess. Not really relevant for a P0420 code then. I appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 06:01 AM   #13
Koevoet
Rep
Drives: None

Has anybody used Fourstroke for the Apple Device?
I heard you can use that with ease?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Nope - but just be careful, as mentioned in this thread, most bluetooth obd2 units won't work with apple products, so you should get a wifi obd2 unit.
Appreciate 0