ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92M, GT3

Reclinable Racing Seat with 5 or 6 point Harness

Looking for a racing seat that reclines but still has a whole in the lower cushion to allow for 5 or 6 point harness.

The reason is though the m coupe is a 2nd car, I still want it drivable off the track. It's a track day car, not a race car. But I am going to put in a half cage for with harness for safety.

So any suggestions are really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
I did run across such a seat - it was either a Recaro or a Sparco - when I was shopping for seats for my E36 track car. I ultimately got single piece Recaros for it, and with the ability to pad as needed under the velcro attached cushions, they are more comfortable to me than the Z4M seats, even for the LA-Monterey runs that I frequently do. Adjustable back sport seats made for 5/6 point harnesses do exist, but it's also worth considering the fixed back seats as well for a dual purpose car.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I know you answered why... but I still have to ask, but why??? lol

Obviously on the track, you'll be sitting upright but on the street, would you really be sitting that much more on a decline? Plus I would think a reclinable seat is heavier than a fixed back which takes away a huge benefit of going aftermarket. Lastly, driving on street with a 5/6pt just sounds like a real PITA!
      08-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

lol. A few reasons: I'm ocd and need both seats to be the same. Which brings up the wife who will on occasion be in the passenger seat. The main reason for the seats is safety, with weight saving as a bonus but that will be offset by added weight of the half cage. I plan on leaving the stock belts in place for when not using on the track.

The only other option would be to put a track seat in every time I go to the track and take it out when I'm done, but that also sounds like a pain.

I just figured it was the best compromise. Status seems to be coming out with the spa soon, but still not released. I'm getting anxious already as I have someone waiting to build the cage for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypptic View Post
lol. A few reasons: I'm ocd and need both seats to be the same. Which brings up the wife who will on occasion be in the passenger seat. The main reason for the seats is safety, with weight saving as a bonus but that will be offset by added weight of the half cage. I plan on leaving the stock belts in place for when not using on the track.

The only other option would be to put a track seat in every time I go to the track and take it out when I'm done, but that also sounds like a pain.

I just figured it was the best compromise. Status seems to be coming out with the spa soon, but still not released. I'm getting anxious already as I have someone waiting to build the cage for me.
Fair enough but you do realize with the passenger seat upgraded, there is currently no work around for the airbag light?

Curious though, is half cage not as dangerous as driving around on street with full cage with no helmet?

IMHO I don't find the 3 point harness any less safer. There are TONS of threads on 3pt vs 4pt vs 5/6pt, with harness bar, harness guide bar, half cage and full cage and there never seems to be a clear cut answer aside from the fact, end of day stock seat + 3pt is about as safe as you can get unless you go 5/6 with full cage + hans. Anything in between has its pros/cons, more cons if driven on the street.

Here's my driver seat using the stock 3pt harness and it works fine both street/track. Notice I'm able to route the buckle through the side hole. Told myself if the GT3 came with bucket seats and 3pt harness, this should be just as safe... Passenger seat was not upgraded.

08-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't think the issue with roll cage safety on public roads applies to half cages. My understanding was that a full cage is unsafe on the road with out a helmet because you can hit your head on it. The half cage is behind you, so you lose some of the roll over and side impact protection but can drive without a helmet.

The harness, in addition to being more safe, helps hold you in place. A good bucket seat can do this too, but the combination of a good bucket seat and harness is great. Though now you are so snug that a Hans device is probably necessary. Which is also in my future.

I am probably going to get the weight sensor from another seat to put in new bucket seat to solve the airbag issue. That and still maintaining the 3 point belt for daily driving should keep the car quite street able.
Appreciate 0