ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #45
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
The stock Contis w/ < 800 miles on them for $300 obo.
If you were closer I would get them in a heartbeat. $300 for an almost new set of Conti's is a steal IMO(even if they aren't the best tire available.).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #46
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinsf View Post
Agreed. I actually regretted buying them on Saturday when I found out I could've saved $250 going with Hankook V12's on DiscountTiresDirect instead. They're already shipped now though, so I figure I'll just stick with the Dunlops.
Well, FWIW, they are really good tires. I really like them! But price is an issue....
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #47
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

For those looking - I just discovered Discount Tire(only B&M stores - not the online Discount Tire Direct) is offering a $100 rebate on ANY set of 4 tires purchased July 1st-2nd. This makes it an awesome deal for the Hankook's($650 total cost installed after rebate for me in Atlanta). I will be getting a set myself...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #48
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I just ordered a set of the new Michelin Pilot Supersport tires because their incentives were going to expire at the end of this week and because I was told that the Continental DW's were likely going to be out of stock for a couple of months or more. Unlike the Direzza and some other extreme performance tires, they are available in stock OEM sizes for the M. I currently have the Hancook V12's and while they aren't a bad tire, I can't seem to get them balanced completely in the front. My experience with Michelin tires are they are much easier. From everything I've read, these are a significant step up from the PS2 and are currently priced slightly less. Their claims about a 50% improvement in mileage (30k warranty vs. 20k for the PS2) along with better performance sound like the best of all worlds. I'll wait a little until my rear tires are down to the wear bars before I put them on but I'm hoping to see a big improvement.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #49
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

^^ I think I'll do the same when my contis are done
      06-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #50
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I just ordered a set of the new Michelin Pilot Supersport tires because their incentives were going to expire at the end of this week and because I was told that the Continental DW's were likely going to be out of stock for a couple of months or more. Unlike the Direzza and some other extreme performance tires, they are available in stock OEM sizes for the M. I currently have the Hancook V12's and while they aren't a bad tire, I can't seem to get them balanced completely in the front. My experience with Michelin tires are they are much easier. From everything I've read, these are a significant step up from the PS2 and are currently priced slightly less. Their claims about a 50% improvement in mileage (30k warranty vs. 20k for the PS2) along with better performance sound like the best of all worlds. I'll wait a little until my rear tires are down to the wear bars before I put them on but I'm hoping to see a big improvement.
Interesting. I just ordered the DW's for my car(OEM sizes) and the fronts were in stock. Rears were harder to locate, but they found 1 each at two different locations and are having them shipped to my store. Props to DT for finding them for me. I almost went for the Hankooks as they would have been $650 installed with rebates, but figured for $200 more I might as well go for the Conti's.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #51
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Had the DWs on mine, day one with the Star Specs. I'm so happy with the star specs! The DWs were horrible in comparison. Things that easily spun the DWs don't even come close to breaking loose with the star specs. very happy. They grrrrip!

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:23 AM   #52
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Had the DWs on mine, day one with the Star Specs. I'm so happy with the star specs! The DWs were horrible in comparison. Things that easily spun the DWs don't even come close to breaking loose with the star specs. very happy. They grrrrip!
Wow! This is a disheartening review... I have read so many good reviews on the DW's from both press and other forum members. Hopefully, I will be happy with them as I expect they will last me around 5yrs at the rate I drive my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #53
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Interesting. I just ordered the DW's for my car(OEM sizes) and the fronts were in stock. Rears were harder to locate, but they found 1 each at two different locations and are having them shipped to my store. Props to DT for finding them for me. I almost went for the Hankooks as they would have been $650 installed with rebates, but figured for $200 more I might as well go for the Conti's.
The Pilot SS's were $986 from DT online and with the rebates from both DT and Michelin, the net cost was only $886 delivered. It will cost about $60-$80 to have them mounted and balanced so my final installed cost should be about $950.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #54
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Wow! This is a disheartening review... I have read so many good reviews on the DW's from both press and other forum members. Hopefully, I will be happy with them as I expect they will last me around 5yrs at the rate I drive my car.
Didn't mean to rain on your parade chickdr. :/ Personally I found the DW's far too easy to break loose. The star specs are just more tenacious. They're a wider tire (235/265) vs. the stock ones (225/255) too. Perhaps that accounts for some of it.

2007 ///M roadster
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #55
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Didn't mean to rain on your parade chickdr. :/ Personally I found the DW's far too easy to break loose. The star specs are just more tenacious. They're a wider tire (235/265) vs. the stock ones (225/255) too. Perhaps that accounts for some of it.
No problem. I am sure there are folks who will relate their stories of issues with the Pilot SS's once they have been out for a while. This is the good thing about having choices. Everyone has a favorite.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #56
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Not to derail a good thread, but if you have a moment please vote for 1 street tire and 1 track tire in the tire thread. Thanks!
      07-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #57
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
Hankook Ventus V12's are supposed to be quite good as well for how much they cost -- on par with PS2s, if not better.
I just went with them too in Hankook Ventus V12's in 19" after upgrading from 18" Pilot Sport A/S that was on the car when I bought it. Let you know how it turns out but I've heard very good things about them and that they equal performance of much more expensive tires available.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #58
BMW Maniac
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former Z4M coupe owner

Now that I have an E30, I don't plan to drive my Z4M in winter. Having said that, if something happens to the E30 over winter, the M3 is definitely not touching any snowy roads.

Having said all that, I have Conti DSWs on my Z4M coupe and I absolutely love them! Great dry performance, and I was passing SUVs in the snow with the Z! Had great traction during the blizzard we had a couple years ago in KY.

1999 /// M3 Convertible Techno Violet
Appreciate 0