ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Bluetooth adapter for iPod cord?

Don't know why I just thought of this but is anyone using a BT adapter attached to the end of the BMW iPod integration cord? I would assume this would work since it is powered. I saw there are a few listed on Amazon but I don't remember seeing a thread about it on here. If anyone is doing this, what are you using and how do you like it? I saw this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QR64VQ...A2M0TX9WX7YD3U

and

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Ada.../dp/B017RWJ46O
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
tIndy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

I tried a couple that I had around the house, but they didn't work. Not sure if they were broken. I got this one and is works amazingly well.

Bovee 1000 Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adapter for in Car iPod Integration
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4656.00
      02-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #3
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
I bought a really cheap one on eBay and it didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
cogriff
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC

Garage List
2014 Audi  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4MC  [9.00]
1977 Honda CB750K  [0.00]
2007 Kawasaki ZX6-R  [0.00]
I have one and it works like a charm. It doesn't add any functionality but it behaves exactly as if your phone or ipod was connected via the cable. It was really the only choice as the BMW cable is the old 30 pin connector as opposed to the new lightning connector. Saves having an adapter. It pairs automatically and I have never had an issue with it.

ViseeO tune2air WMA1000 is what I have. You can get it on ebay or amazon. It was around $120 CAN.

A previous reply mentioned the Bovee which from all outwards appearances is the same one albeit with a different company name on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
deaz4m
Rep
Drives: future z4 owner

Got it yesterday. worked for me so far

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

As a follow up I contacted CoolStream. The owner got right back to me and suggested the Coolstream CarPro. On the website they had listed the Duo as the correct one for the 2008 Z4 with iPod adapter and I asked about it. They asked if I would be interested in being a beta tester for them. I accepted and they sent a Duo to me free of charge(I was amazed they would do this, but I guess I was lucky). Works just as expected. The only issue is a low volume output compared to the other sources (and the iPod I had attached previously) but I can crank it up. It has some hiss, but I have had that issue with the iPod as well so not sure if it is the connector with the issue. In any event I would recommend the Coolstream CarPro or Duo as good BT streaming options. The difference between the two is that the CarPro allows for steering wheel control(skip tracks) and will display artist info in some cars (my Business unit has never showed artist info so I don't think it is possible with the factory BMW iPod connector) but possibly if you had the navigation screen as I know Intravee shows artist info. The Duo has a battery while the CarPro does not so you could use it for portable BT as well. For me it works great with my Android phone to do just what I did with the iPod - play my music collection randomly as I drive. For 30 bucks seems like a good deal to me.

Last edited by chickdr; 02-12-2018 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
As a follow up I contacted CoolStream. The owner got right back to me and suggested the Coolstream CarPro. On the website they had listed the Duo as the correct one for the 2008 Z4 with iPod adapter and I asked about it. They asked if I would be interested in being a beta tester for them. I accepted and they sent a Duo to me free of charge(I was amazed they would do this, but I guess I was lucky). Works just as expected. The only issue is a low volume output compared to the other sources (and the iPod I had attached previously) but I can crank it up. It has some hiss, but I have had that issue with the iPod as well so not sure if it is the connector with the issue. In any event I would recommend the Coolstream CarPro or Duo as good BT streaming options. The difference between the two is that the CarPro allows for steering wheel control(skip tracks) and will display artist info in some cars (my Business unit has never showed artist info so I don't think it is possible with the factory BMW iPod connector) but possibly if you had the navigation screen as I know Intravee shows artist info. The Duo has a battery while the CarPro does not so you could use it for portable BT as well. For me it works great with my Android phone to do just what I did with the iPod - play my music collection randomly as I drive. For 30 bucks seems like a good deal to me.
Think I might try the Duo as well. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
We'll, the Duo doesn't seem to be working in my 2006 Z4M with Navi. I plugged it into the iPod cord, it powered up and connected to my phone ok, but it seems like the car isn't detecting that the Duo is connected, as I can't even select the input when I cycle through. When the iPod gets reconnected, it is recognized.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #9
tIndy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

I too tried the Duo with no luck. The Bovee 1000 was the savior.

I use Spotify and the offline music and playlists. I have several hundred songs marked as offline and downloaded to the phone. The steering wheel controls work perfectly and allow me to forward and reverse through the songs in the playlist. The Bovee automatically pairs when the ignition key is turned on.

Spotify is installed on both my work iPhone 6 and personal Samsung 7 Edge. Intrestingly, the iPhone's bluetooth streaming has a better sound than the Samsung's.

I am working on a Samsung tablet with a cell service to use as a GPS with Spotify, weather radar, internet. The tablet streams to the Bovee.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I wonder if it is an issue with the navigation radio? It works fine attached to my iPod cord in a non nav car....
Appreciate 0