ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
dadlad
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0I

2006 Z4: Airbag warning light on because of passenger seat occupancy sensor failure

Repair cost is very high - first two estimates are $1200 and $1600. Safety is not an issue at this point as the passenger airbag WILL deploy whether or not the seat is occupied. The only issue then would be if a small child were an occupant, but that will not occur. I am the sole occupant 99% of the time, and the only passenger is my wife. So at this point I am considering a bypass or emulator which would signal to the system that an adult is in the seat. The warning light could then be turned off and would remain off, with the airbag still fully deployable.
I have found several sources on EBay; many from UK and Germany. Has anyone had experience with this particular problem and with an emulator? Are there other workarounds? Would appreciate any suggestions or advice, positive or negative.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Are you sure you are not covered? Last time I checked (about a year ago) they were replacing the occupancy sensor through 2006 model year on the Z4. They wouldn't cover my 2007. I tried an emulator. It worked, but caused a battery drain on my car as I think the computer was not going to sleep. I removed the emulator, problem solved. Also are you sure the bag will deploy? I've heard others say no bags will deploy in this situation. The best workaround is to have someone code out the occupancy sensor to "not active", then the airbag light will go off and the air bag will deploy 100% of the time regardless of a passenger. A lot of shops won't do this for legal reasons, you'd need to have the software yourself or another enthusiast do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #3
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I just had the passenger occupancy sensor mat replaced on my 2004 ZHP for the third time in five years last week, this time under warranty at the dealer since the part was less than two years old. The first time I paid an upholstery shop to do it but when it went out after just three years I decided I'd better learn how to do it myself. It's not a difficult job and since no one can reassure me 100% that the airbag will deploy with the failed mat and that the emulator won't cause issues as mentioned above this is the route I'm taking. Just want to make sure my passengers are safe.

I will say that it puts me in a pretty bad mood to have to keep replacing this important part of a safety system which is not covered under a recall and continue to pay BMW an exorbitant amount to do it every few years. First time it was $120, three years later $127 and if I'd had to pay for it this last time the best I could find was $167! If it happens again any time soon I may look into trying to find someone willing to code it out.

Also, be aware that if you have this repair done at the dealer they will tell you that you have to replace the control module as well (at double the price you can get a genuine one from FCP Euro) because it can cause the mat to fail prematurely. After I had already declined this, since I would have had to pay for the part, when I was picking the car up and asked for clarification on this they backpedaled and actually admitted that it just saves them time to replace both at the same time just in case they do the mat and the code is still present. Gotta love dealers.
      10-20-2016, 04:40 PM   #4
dadlad
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure I'm not covered, as I checked with BMW Customer Relations. I've researched as best I can as to deployability and am pretty sure it is in play with the airbag light on (or with an emulator) ; to set it up otherwise would open up BMW to at least partial liability in an accident.
The emulator product sources I've so far checked online seem dubious and I'm getting a bit leery of that solution.
What is the software and/or hardware required to render a sense point such as this "inactive"? I'll have this car for years to come and it could be a reasonable investment. I have no idea of the costs involved.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 05:07 AM   #5
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I just had the passenger occupancy sensor mat replaced on my 2004 ZHP for the third time in five years last week, this time under warranty at the dealer since the part was less than two years old. The first time I paid an upholstery shop to do it but when it went out after just three years I decided I'd better learn how to do it myself. It's not a difficult job and since no one can reassure me 100% that the airbag will deploy with the failed mat and that the emulator won't cause issues as mentioned above this is the route I'm taking. Just want to make sure my passengers are safe.

I will say that it puts me in a pretty bad mood to have to keep replacing this important part of a safety system which is not covered under a recall and continue to pay BMW an exorbitant amount to do it every few years. First time it was $120, three years later $127 and if I'd had to pay for it this last time the best I could find was $167! If it happens again any time soon I may look into trying to find someone willing to code it out.

Also, be aware that if you have this repair done at the dealer they will tell you that you have to replace the control module as well (at double the price you can get a genuine one from FCP Euro) because it can cause the mat to fail prematurely. After I had already declined this, since I would have had to pay for the part, when I was picking the car up and asked for clarification on this they backpedaled and actually admitted that it just saves them time to replace both at the same time just in case they do the mat and the code is still present. Gotta love dealers.
Horror stories like yours is why I have been hesitant to replace mine. It seems that too many of us have had the replacement fail a few years later, like you did. Paying to replace this thing every few years is crazy. I may have to learn to tackle this myself. I removed my seats a few years ago to replace the damaged seatbacks ........ can't be too much more difficult than that. I'd rather just get it coded out.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
dadlad
Rep

I'm looking seriously at the code out option - researching INPA and NCSExpert, which would enable me to code the seat occupancy sensor to "not active" (nicht aktiv). But having difficulty finding an OBD2 usb cable specified for my 2006 BMW Z4 (e85). All I've found online so far specify virtually all BMWs EXCEPT e85s. I found two in Germany, but they cannot or will not ship to US.

Does anyone out there know of an available OBD2 cable source that specifically states it will work with a 2006 e85?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

They're not really model specific.
Anything like this should work.
      10-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadlad View Post
I'm looking seriously at the code out option - researching INPA and NCSExpert, which would enable me to code the seat occupancy sensor to "not active" (nicht aktiv). But having difficulty finding an OBD2 usb cable specified for my 2006 BMW Z4 (e85). All I've found online so far specify virtually all BMWs EXCEPT e85s. I found two in Germany, but they cannot or will not ship to US.

Does anyone out there know of an available OBD2 cable source that specifically states it will work with a 2006 e85?
If you get that figured out I might have to drive down to Pensacola and pay you to code mine as well, assuming you're up for it
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
dadlad
Rep

[QUOTE=StickMon;20744659]They're not really model specific.
Anything like this[/URL] should work.

Thanks for the help. I've ordered one.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
KevsZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0

I also have an issue with the airbag light. STUPIDLY turn the car on to move it when I had the seats removed. Anyone in the Atlanta area have a tool to reset the light?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
jabramson
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 Automatic

I don't know if all my complaining the NHSTA and BMW, but I recieved a letter yesterday that the occupancy mat is now having extended warranty on it for 15 years. Brought it to the dealership to get it finally fixed. If you had this repaired and paid for this, you may want to go to the BMW site about this. I'll attach copies of my letter.

Here's one question though. They are trying to tell me I need the seat belt replaced because it's also throwing a code. I've read in places that disconnecting the seat harness and the occupancy mat going bad can throw this code and will reset when the occupancy sensor is bad. They want over $300 to replace the seat belt sensor. What do I do? Will it reset after the mat is replaced. They're telling me the seat belt sensor has nothing to do with this and won't stop the display on the dashboard of the error. Meanwhile, the seat belt doesn't give an alert when not fastened at all. But is that because of the occupancy sensor being bad? Worst would be if I have the seat belt replaced later it would cost about $100 more at the dealership. I'm inclined to not have the dealership replace the seat belt sensor.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this seat belt sensor issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #12
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Personally- I would have the free stuff done and see what the car does afterwards. Go to an Indy shop if the seat belt is still an issue as you will save some $$$
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #13
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I got my "extended warranty" letter as well. Now I'm on the fence as to what to do. I've seen other owners, who replaced the defective mat in the past, complain that the new mat also broke down the road. I had my computer coding for the OC3 changed to "not active", no warning lights and the passenger airbag is always active, unless I turn it off with the key. Personally I like the extra protection, and as I have no kids or pets riding in the passenger seat, I never turn it off. 15 years affords me 5 more years, so I think I'll continue to lay low and read about you guys experience with the replacement
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #14
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

When mine played up a while back I tweaked the cable near the battery and reset the light ....no issues since. It was indicating the passenger mat was fubar'd prior.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 02:21 PM   #15
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Just got a letter in the mail from BMW related to this, they've extended the passenger seat occupancy sensor warranty out to 15 years. So for anyone who had to pay to get this fixed, you can file a claim with them and get reimbursed.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #16
jabramson
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 Automatic

So I got my car back today. The occupancy sensor replaced but light is still on. They said the seat belt sensor is the cause. So what are the thoughts on taking care of this?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #17
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabramson View Post
So I got my car back today. The occupancy sensor replaced but light is still on. They said the seat belt sensor is the cause. So what are the thoughts on taking care of this?
Indy shop will be cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 12:49 AM   #18
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
Just got a letter in the mail from BMW related to this, they've extended the passenger seat occupancy sensor warranty out to 15 years. So for anyone who had to pay to get this fixed, you can file a claim with them and get reimbursed.
Me too
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #19
abelgonzaleZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 SilvrConvert 3.0i

I had my airbag light come on too.
BMW diagnosed it.
Bought an Ignition switch and fixed all my problems.

Also have a 2006 Z4 3.0i

Ignition switch
Part no. 61326901961

Found on eBay.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #20
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Gaaaah......... this just happened to me too. And I don't think 2007 cars are covered.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 01:35 AM   #21
cruisingdog
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5i Black

I've had this problem for a number of years now and have ignored it but it still bugs me. What's the recall number for the passenger sensor mat issue ? I got nothing frommmy BMW dealer last time I called them.

I have a 2006 Z4 2.5i. If anyone knows if this is covered under safety recalls and they know what I should quote please let me know and I'll ping BMW.

Alternatively if you know which code to bypass this on I can do this with my ODB BMW s/w. I do need to know the exact place. I've reset error conditions and the red lamp goes out but then comes back on again. It's more of an annoyance.

I'd also like to know where the sensor is and the plug etc. I couldn't find it last time and the diagrams I have are wrong for my z4. My seats have completely different plugs to the wiring diagrams form the TIS (or whatever that workshop manual s/w is called).

Thanks in advance for info. PM if you're in the SF Bay Area and can show me what to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 01:41 AM   #22
cruisingdog
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5i Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelgonzaleZ4 View Post
I had my airbag light come on too.
BMW diagnosed it.
Bought an Ignition switch and fixed all my problems.

Also have a 2006 Z4 3.0i

Ignition switch
Part no. 61326901961

Found on eBay.
What did BMW diagnose the error to be ? Did they do it for free ?
Appreciate 0