ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-18-2018, 06:23 AM   #67
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
No help whatsoever, but I'm hoping this guy makes it across the pond. Ticks all the boxes:

- Reliable, easy to source parts engine (with tons of horsepower).
- 2756 pounds! that's as light as a GT86 twin.
- Manual.

Plus it doesn't hurt that Gordon Murray designed it (the same guy that did the mclaren f1).

https://jalopnik.com/how-the-new-500...o-a-1803816392
wow...that does tick all the boxes...here's hoping it makes it across the pond!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #68
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [9.50]
2017 BMW M2   [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
thanks but already tried an e89 3.0 with my fave engine of all time the n52....with all due respect to e89 owners...the e89 is part of thr modern trend that is not working for me..bigger is not always better
Agree on the N52 being a great engine. Love my SI for that. But I don’t think it’s the best choice in the heavier E89. The N55 in the 35is makes an extra 75 or so hp, plus the car has a number of other performance enhancements if that changes the water on the beans. Either way good luck with the search!
The E89 35is only came with the N54
      04-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #69
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

not really a modern z4 coupe, but liking the m240i

my search for a next car has ended with the m240i, picked it up on the 10th.

this is the only pic that this site will accept for some reason. My GF took it on her phone, it won't accept the pics taken on my phone.

Coming from the 981S, this car is a welcome change.
The engine is an absolute peach, so buttery smooth and eager. reminds me of the n52 in many ways, but even torquier. Turbo lag is still there (more so than I remember on the test drive), but I seem to be getting used to it such that it's no longer an issue. Car is incredibly fast, and I've only gone half throttle so far so try to give a gentlish break in. Faster than the cayman for sure. Sounds decent as well with the MPE.
the zf8 is very responsive, I drive in manual mode almost all the time, and so far not missing the manual...which was a big worry for me.
The ride is very comfortable, much more so than my x73 equipped 981 cayman.
really like the compact dimensions.
the xdrive is awesome, the ice storm last night was easy peasy...
For sure it doesn't handle like the cayman, but I am not a track guy so that is not a huge loss for me.

Overall very happy with the change
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 04:57 AM   #70
brianwil2727
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
It's your call, but I really think the question of reliability is overstated with that car and that motor. I really don't think it's possible to compare to other "older" cars. Mercs, BMWs, certainly American cars from the 90s or early 2000s are another story. We're just not seeing these "my car left me stranded" stories here. (And don't get me talking about my friend's Tesla Model S or my now gone new 991.1, both of which stranded us.)

Aside from bad motor rebuilds or bearing work, some VANOS (M version), the only issue I've seen popping up here in terms of reliability are batteries (common and preventable), alternators/voltage regulators (rare), and maybe one or two starter motors (rarer). If those are a worries replace them. These cars are proven winners when cared for.

Even imagining worst case, car has an issue, a cheap rental or better yet Uber fills the gap quickly bitcoin futures calculator and easily. Financially it's a huge win on the purchase tax, road tax, insurance: there are tons of Uber rides to make up the difference between what ticks the right boxes and something pricer/newer with a massive depreciation curve that does not.

Like I said it's your call but that's my 0.00000129 BTC.
Is it legal buying with BTC?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #71
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwil2727 View Post
Is it legal buying with BTC?
Holy thread resurrection! The last post was in 2018....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #72
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Holy thread resurrection! The last post was in 2018....
But props to the OP for coming back and updating this!

When I first clicked on it and saw that the OP started this thread in late 2017, I kind of quickly scanned forward. I did notice that several people who gave their $0.02 don't appear to own a Z4 any longer.

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2020, 02:42 PM   #73
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V6 S BDE

I think the A90 Toyota Supra is kind of spiritual successor to the E86. I KNOW this is controversial, but please hear me out in the strictest sense of NOT trying to ruffle feathers or start the usual "it's a toyota/it's a bmw" conversation, we all know it's got bmw parts and a toyota badge, but there's other threads for people who care to duke it out. I'm just pointing out, with the shared lineage, lineup positioning, and specs that there are some strong similarities.

For example, the power is the same, and the styling is as controversial now as our all Z4s were on release, similar hatchback/fastback design, strong rear, long front. The engine is not a 8K monster but does sound modern good, and yeah it's a turbo but in this day and age getting a high-revving NA car isn't a straightforward proposition even over at Porsche. I'm sure NA purists could pull the turbo and tune up the engine; by all accounts, it's got an awful lot of headroom for that kind of play with just the stock components.

And, of course, the transmission is better than the SMG by generations but obviously no manual. A $12K conversion does exist for these cars and videos exist out there for it, but for that sum you could buy an E85 roadster with reasonable mileage. And yes, odd fake vents. The less said the better.

Okay, I've said my bit, please don't hang me out to dry? The first time was an adventure, but I'll pass on a repeat performance!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #74
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

3 year old thread. Forgiven.
Appreciate 2
Finnegan701.00