ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 atacama yellow Z4 35i

Considering selling...

I'm moving to Manhattan for a year and obviously won't be taking my z4 coupe with me. My original thought was to store it at a friend's garage for a year before I move back to Texas but the thought of selling it has crossed my mind... and I would like your opinion for what I can realistically ask for it on the private market. I am not even going to waste my time taking it by places like CarMax. I have about a month to sell if I decide to go that route.

07 z4 coupe, auto, 85k miles, BSM, premium, sport, heated M seats, saddle brown interior. Clean title, no liens.

I have maintained it to the best of my (and my wallet's) ability. In my 35k miles of ownership it has had fluid changes at proper intervals (i.e. not the ludicrous BMW intervals). Other maintenance includes:

AT fluid and pan
Starter
Ignition switch
L and R xenon headlight ballasts
Valve cover gasket
Spark plug seals
Eccentric shaft sensor gasket
Valvetronic motor gasket
Water pump, thermostat
Spark plugs

Full suspension refresh:
Bilstein shocks, OEM BMW strut mounts, lower control arms, FCABs, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, motor mounts, transmission mounts.

19" Sportline CSL reps w/ Dunlop Direzza DZ102 UHP tires 3k miles
I have the OEM 18" wheels as well with Bridgestone RFTs
Brake rotors and pads are 2 years old
Battery is 3 years old
Bumper needs a respray, couple of dings, but nothing awful for a daily driver

Other add-ons: LED interior lights, stubby antenna, M steering wheel

What do you think it's worth?

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Based on the bland looking selection of sedans and one very over-priced Z4 roadster with only a 4 cylinder engine that I saw this morning at my local dealer while dropping the wife's car in for service, I think your car is worth this: keeping.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
jeebus87 Where were you a couple of months ago?

I'm actually from NYC. No need to sell your car just because you're moving here.

But if you insist, I was looking for a black coupe and with that mileage and condition, the range is between $12-18k. I found cars similar to yours (privately) listed around $13-15k. The dealers are marking them up to around $17-20k.
      05-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. Instinct is to not sell it because I love this car but practically speaking, I think my bottom dollar would be $16k with the amount of maintenance invested.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus87
Thanks guys. Instinct is to not sell it because I love this car but practically speaking, I think my bottom dollar would be $16k with the amount of maintenance invested.
Put it this way, I sold my 2007 coupe almost SEVEN years ago for 19-20k with almost no miles. They're really holding their value now! I also regret selling it. I'll be looking to add a ZMC soon enough. I say take it with you and store in a garage in an outer borough (if money is a concern) so you can use it when you want. You'll have a hard time getting that unless someone really really wants it. I love that color combo!
      05-07-2016, 05:52 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If I were you, I'd keep it and store it if it is practical to do so with your friend. Fill the fuel tank. Add Stabil, run the engine a few minutes. Pump the tires to almost max inflation, put a battery tender on it. Plug the intake and exhaust and let her sit for a year. With the mods and maintenance you've done, and you know the car for 35,000 miles, if you sell it and want another Coupe when you move back to TX, you'll have to start all over again.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
If you decide to sell, and want to part out the wheels PM me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #8
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If I were you, I'd keep it and store it if it is practical to do so with your friend. Fill the fuel tank. Add Stabil, run the engine a few minutes. Pump the tires to almost max inflation, put a battery tender on it. Plug the intake and exhaust and let her sit for a year. With the mods and maintenance you've done, and you know the car for 35,000 miles, if you sell it and want another Coupe when you move back to TX, you'll have to start all over again.
Also agree with this. If you really think you will move back in a year and want a similar car, especially if the storage is free, I would keep it. Sell it today for $15k and a year from now have to go through the hassles/costs and uncertainty of buying another car just like what you had and there wouldn't be enough of a benefit to me.

If you go this route make sure to tell you insurance company the car will be driven a minimal number of miles which should cut the rate, also not sure how they look at a car owned by someone living in NYC (I believe high rates) but sitting in TX (I believe low rates) so might be worth looking into this before you make your decision. Also, if really not going to be driven very much or not at all I would also raise the deductible as chances of an accident are tiny. If I was putting it in a storage locker I would also drop Collision coverage but I would be afraid with it at a friends house that there is still a chance someone will drive it.
      05-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #9
KPop
KPop
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Horse and Buggy

If you trust your friend, I would ask him to drive it for 15-20 miles once every 2-3 weeks to keep the fluids moving and battery charged, but don't put it in permanent storage.

Texas has a pretty stable climate for our cars, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Call your insurance and get it on a low-milage plan to keep expenses down.

Otherwise, I agree w/ others. These cars are rare and you'd regret trading it in for $15-18k only to spend more on a "lesser" car when you move back. It's a really great color combo too!

Don't sell it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #10
krusty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 coupé

I like your wheels, I like your seat colour - looks cool: I'd keep it.

Pity about your conversion to interior LED lights, but I am sure you can get rid of that quite easily
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #11
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
I like your wheels, I like your seat colour - looks cool: I'd keep it.

Pity about your conversion to interior LED lights, but I am sure you can get rid of that quite easily
Nothing wrong about LED interior lights. I did the swap a few years back and wish these cars came from factory like that.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #12
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Definitely planning on keeping it at this point. The points about maintenance and upgrades are heard loud and clear. I definitely don't want to be spending many hours in the garage repeating these same repairs when I move back, especially since I will be far busier than now.

And the LED interior lights are way, way better than the stock lights. To each their own!

I heard that certain insurance companies offer "garage insurance" which is probably what I will go with. I trust my good friend to drive it every now and then around the block a few times to keep the fluids moving.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 07:00 AM   #13
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

I have Farm Bureau and they offer "storage insurance".
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 05:15 PM   #14
Roadie
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

What shifter is that? Looks like maybe from an iDrive system? Not all that familiar with those though. Certainly nothing I've ever seen on a 2007 Z4 automatic. Did you modify the stock auto shifter and swap out center console? Looks pretty sweet.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #15
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
What shifter is that? Looks like maybe from an iDrive system? Not all that familiar with those though. Certainly nothing I've ever seen on a 2007 Z4 automatic. Did you modify the stock auto shifter and swap out center console? Looks pretty sweet.
Thanks! Yes, that's exactly what I did. I used a replacement shifter from Bimmian that looks like the iDrive one, and lights up, and replaced the leather boot around it. The shifter could be a little higher in quality, but it looks great.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #16
Roadie
Private
No_Country
Rep

Very nice I think. I found your thread on this build but any details on electrical wiring that you might be able to share would be much appreciated. I like this shifter modification very much.

Last edited by Roadie; 05-14-2016 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: found existing thread
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #17
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
Very nice I think. I found your thread on this build but any details on electrical wiring that you might be able to share would be much appreciated. I like this shifter modification very much.
Pretty self-explanatory once you get in there. There is nothing fancy about the wiring. Just plug and play. Bimmian has a video detailing the installation too.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #18
Roadie
Private
No_Country
Rep

Great! Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0