ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #1
mattgecko
LED Lighting Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0SI Sport

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0SI  [8.00]
Air Conditioning was ice cold but not today.

2007 Z4 3.0SI, I have had the car for 2yrs (problem free, until now). No mech/electrical or engine work has been done on the car. Carfax was clean when I purchased the it.

The A/C has always blown ICE COLD, running it on high would freeze me out.
Yesterday I went for a drive , the A/C was cool at best on max, not cold at all.

All climent controls, blower fan, knobs / buttons work as normal. Vent vs snowflake (A/C button), it definitely gets cooler when snow flake is engaged. Used an OBD2 code reader and that was all ok (no codes). Under the hood visually looks OK. The A/C compressor runs normal and everything sounds as it should.

Next ...... Have the the A/C system pressure tested.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by mattgecko; 09-07-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I had the same issue last summer. AC eventually start blowing warm air. It was the condenser leaking because a rock hit it. This is a DIY job since your system is already escaping to the atmosphere. I would not use AC until it is fixed because it might damage the compressor because no freon in system.

Basically you need dryer and condenser, but good time to change any O-rings or parts that is accessible. Make sure to install the dryer last before sealing the system. Take it mechanic and charge the system with the correct amount of oil in Freon.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 05:30 AM   #3
coh661
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 M COUPE  [8.00]
My reply may be is a bit late but writing it anyways as it may help someone else.

I'd go to Autozone and rent some manifold gages and do a pressure test. How the high & low side pressure reads will indicate what's going on. I have a chart that will help you interpret your pressure readings. You can also use those gages to shoot some dye into the system and with a black light you can easy find if there are any leaks. My Indy was doing a coolant flush for me and noticed that I had a leak right at the front of my AC compressor. So I took apart the compressor and replaced that shaft seal and while i had my system apart i changed all the AC line O rings and dryer as well. Probably should have replaced the Expansion valve but decided not to. Than i just charged the system after testing to make sure the system was sealed. Not the easiest job in the world but doable. The hardest part is diagnosing the problem. I saved a good amount of cash as my Indy wouldn't just repair my compressor but would only replace it.
Appreciate 0