ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #1
wiliulfo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Not if, but when...

Good evening all,

About six months ago I replaced the thermostat in my new-to-me 2003 E85.

Because I failed to appreciate how the cooling system worked in the M54 engine, I didn't add enough coolant. During the test drive around the block, the car quickly overheated and the upper radiator hose popped off.

Even though I was about two blocks from home, I called a tow truck. BUT, when it arrived, the driver let me know that the car was too low to the ground and he couldn't tow me...so, I just let the car cool down, I reattached the hose, and added a bit of coolant. Back at home, I was got back on YouTube to learn about the proper filling/bleeding process for the coolant.

Here's my question: I feel like I got lucky because I was so close to home. But what happens when the car fails me out on the road? What type of tow truck and/or special equipment do our cars need in order to be towed? My car, for example, didn't come with a tow hook or any other tools/accessories. Is there something I need to buy and keep in the trunk?

Thanks for your input!!
~will
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

This is the tool set you're missing.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E8..._lifting_jack/

If you need to be towed you need to specifically tell them you have a low car and need a flat bed tow truck. If you have AAA they'll usually send the correct truck so long as they know the car is low.
      11-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Did you check for the toolkit next to the battery under the trunk panel in your Z4? It's usually just to the left of the battery in a black pouch with red edging. If the previous owner lost the toolkit, you can order the tow hook separately. Amazon even carries it, or you can order it from ECS Tuning, local dealer, etc. Part number is: 72157070643

On the tow truck, I think you just have to tell them you have a very low car and that you need a flat bed with a low rise or some low rise ramps to get it onto the flat bed. Some have stacked wood ramps just like I made to change my oil.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete

Last edited by SaltyNC; 11-02-2017 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
wiliulfo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Perfect! Thank you both for the responses!!
Appreciate 0