ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
kalare
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
20% discount reached! Also on this GB is a BBK with e9x M3 sized rotors.

GB for RacingBrake 2 piece rotors for ZCP/Z4M. Also available will be a progressive upgrade for the ZCP rotors, am RB aluminum 4 piston caliper with 40mm/44mm pistons (same as common Brembo and Stoptech piston sizes
for E46 M3 BBK). RB calipers have been measured to give 5-6mm more wheel clearance than the comparable StopTech or Brembo BBK kits.

As another option if you want the caliper upgrade, you can chose to go with E9X M3 sized front and rear rotors with caliper upgrades as well.

For those that chose to stay ZCP sized, at any time later, they may chose to upgrade to E9X M3 sized rotors just by purchasing new brackets for the calipers and new rotor rings. The calipers and the hats are the same!

RB has also offered all participants all of the above options at the same level discount as the GB for future purchases!

Please see the link below for further info.

GROUPBUY LINK at RacingBrake

Good news for those interested in ZCP/Z4M 2 piece rotors!
For ALL participants RB will thrown in a free wheel stud/nut conversion kit: LINK
This is a 100 dollar freebie for ALL PARTICIPANTS in the ZCP/Z4M rotor GB! For those that want to purchase an additional wheel stud kit, RB will offer a 10% discount on the second set.

From RB site:
"RB wheel studs are made of alloy steel, heat treated, and certified to SAE 10.9 class. They feature an 8mm hex head for easy installation and replacement.

RB wheel nuts are made of alloy steel, with chrome plating for an attractive and lasting finish.

Length: 80mm (3.15") After installation."

Rotors can be found here: Link to 2 piece rotors

Note that rotors are 30mm in thickness as compared to OE which are 28mm. OE rotors have min wear at 1.6mm however RB rotors will go 2mm, which is typical for most BBK 2 piece rotors. Combined with the extra hardness of the steel used and the much better cooling, these should last significantly longer than OE. User "TheHACK" on Zpost actually runs these exact rotors that are in this GB. In 2010 he posted that he had had the rotors on the car for 4 years and 4000 miles of track duty and they still had life left. NO WAY an OE rotor would take that abuse! SEE POST

See the below reviews for extensive photos.

The discount is as follows:
15% for 5 or more orders (discounted price: $756.41)
20% for 10 or more orders (discounted price: $711.91)

If we can get enough people this could be a really great deal!

The above prices include RB ET300 brake pads. I've asked if they will offer the discs without pads or with different more aggressive compounds, I'll update when I recieve an answer.

RB will take $30 off the price if no pads are desired and will charge approximately $40 if you want to upgrade pads to a more aggressive compound...see GB link above.

*UPDATE 09-25-12: RB has included a Progressive caliper upgrade as well, comparible to Stoptech and Brembo at a lower price with (arguably) nicer components. Rear two piece rotors will also be made available. For any participants of this groupbuy, RB has stated that they will offer the same discount on the PU upgrade or rear two piece rotors regardless of how many previous participants chose to purchase.

See these review for the RacingBrake rotor review for 335i and 135i rotors, both of which use the same technology as the rotors here.

Cliffnotes from linked reviews below if you don't want to click (though I recommend you do!)
-The OEM rotor is about 145 on the Brinell hardness scale and the Stoptech rotor is around 171.
The RacingBrake rotors that Mr.5 (OP of 335i review) tested were 196 and 193.
-Better cooling than OE rotors due to center mount rotor configuration (that no other rotors use) and convergent vanes. (Though there is not alot of conclusive date to back this up, it's enough for me that the Mr.5 noticed a 30 degree rotor temp difference in favor of RB rotors.
-E90 325i owner fitted with 135i brakes had reviously noticed fade on the track. After switching to RB rotors fade was gone and OP of review decreased 2 seconds off of lap time by being able to brake later towards end of session.

The 335i review shows a rotor temp difference of around 30 degrees under the same conditions (stock on one side, RB on the other). SEE REVIEW

The 135i review states that OP had issues with fluid boiling and pedal getting soft. RB rotors maintained a nice pedal feel and the OP shaved 2 seconds off his previous time. SEE REVIEW

*UPDATE: For those interested in the rear rotors, RB informed me that they will be producing both the 2 piece rear rotor with aluminum hat and steel liner for Ebrake function as well as a PU upgrade. They will ship the 2 pc front rotors, then PU upgrade for front, then 2 pc rear rotors and then PU rear. All participants can upgrade/add any of these options for a limited time...as of now the front PU can be purchased at GB discount up to 6 months after front rotors are shipped. Rears will most likely be similar.
The group buy closes 10/15/12.

Last edited by kalare; 10-05-2012 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
kalare
Private
Rep

Updated original post... I forgot to put in the GB link and I updated the pad question.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
kalare
Private
Rep

None of you Z4M guys want a great 2 piece upgrade for the track?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
JasonH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe, 2003 M3 Vert

I'm 99% sure I'm in, minus the pads. I'll definitely know before 10/15.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

My rotors are on their last miles... I will get back to you before the mid-october.

Also they say they will offer a "new" rear rotor ... when is this scheduled for?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I'm surprised more haven't jumped on this. If I hadn't just bought some used (but practically new) OEM rotors, I'd be all over it! Even with that, I'm still tempted.

Unlike OEM, the rotor ring itself is replaceable with a reusable hat (center piece). The ring itself is slotted, not drilled, thicker, and has a longer service life. It's a good upgrade if you're keeping the stock calipers, and the price is actually very competitive when you consider the rotor's extra thickness and longer service life.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

I will have a set of fronts for sale shortly...I jumped into a PFC BBK and no longer need. They really are nice rotors for heavy track use, just bed them properly first.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

I am in need of a set of rotors. Are the pads that come with these race track pads? I have been wanting to get a set of ceramic for the street and race for the track. Could I do that with these rotors?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
My fronts are on their last miles. I might get these. However, i dont see any information on the replacement hats. Are they going to support this product line? How much is it going to be for the replacement hat?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsbmw View Post
I am in need of a set of rotors. Are the pads that come with these race track pads? I have been wanting to get a set of ceramic for the street and race for the track. Could I do that with these rotors?
The pads are not race/track pads. They have an option to upgrade to more aggressive compound of you can opt out of pads and get 30 dollars off (this is what I'm doing).

As far as replacement hats...I'm not sure why you would ever need hats. They have replacement rotor rings on their site and they same rings are used on multiple other vehicles, I know a VW rotor they sell has the same rings. I don't have any fear of not being able to get rotor rings in the future...I don't ever see needing hats, but I'm sure as an existing customer if you needed them RB would be able to provide you with some.

In other news:
Good news for those interested in Z4M 2 piece rotors!
For first 5 participants RB will thrown in a free wheel stud/nut conversion kit: LINK
This is a 100 dollar freebie for the first 5 people in the ZCP/Z4M rotor GB!

From RB site:
"RB wheel studs are made of alloy steel, heat treated, and certified to SAE 10.9 class. They feature an 8mm hex head for easy installation and replacement.

RB wheel nuts are made of alloy steel, with chrome plating for an attractive and lasting finish.

Length: 80mm (3.15") After installation."

That outta get the ball rolling!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #11
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I also just stepped into BBK scene, otherwise I would jump on this

Can someone in the top 5 sell me their wheel stud and nut set? I'm looking to pick up a set for future use
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Ooops, my bad! What i meant was the replacement rings.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I'm surprised more haven't jumped on this. If I hadn't just bought some used (but practically new) OEM rotors, I'd be all over it! Even with that, I'm still tempted.

Unlike OEM, the rotor ring itself is replaceable with a reusable hat (center piece). The ring itself is slotted, not drilled, thicker, and has a longer service life. It's a good upgrade if you're keeping the stock calipers, and the price is actually very competitive when you consider the rotor's extra thickness and longer service life.
I have a set of practically brand new OEM rotors as well. I'm planning on selling them, they're fairly easy to move and hold value quite well (with a bit of a loss depending on how much you paid). Sell those OEM hunks of metal and get som RB rotors and studs!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I need nre rotors and pads soon. I'm in for the rotors as of now until I have time to research pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #15
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
I need nre rotors and pads soon. I'm in for the rotors as of now until I have time to research pads.
Awesome! Could you please add you name to the groupbuy in RB forum?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
kalare
Private
Rep

Last spot for the free studs is up for grabs, please post on RB forum thread if you want in for last set!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #17
kalare
Private
Rep

Looks like we have 5 so far, so a confirmed 15%...5 more for 20%!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #18
kalare
Private
Rep

First 5 spots are taken, no more free wheel studs. For those of you in the top 5, if you want studs for the other axle RB will offer a 10% discount if you purchase at the same time.

For those of you that still want to join and want studs, RB will also offer a 10% discount if ordered at the same time.

Last edited by kalare; 09-22-2012 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #19
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
Looks like you're on the list, thanks for participating.

6 down, 4 to go for 20%. It also looks like RB is now inlcuding the axle set of wheel studs free for everyone in the GB, not just the first 5. I've asked to be sure and will update when they reply.

*UPDATE: Looks like RB will include the free set of studs to all particiapants! Very generous, I've updated the OP.

Last edited by kalare; 09-23-2012 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalare View Post
Looks like you're on the list, thanks for participating.

6 down, 4 to go for 20%. It also looks like RB is now inlcuding the axle set of wheel studs free for everyone in the GB, not just the first 5. I've asked to be sure and will update when they reply.
That is great if they do one free axle. I will buy a set for the rear to match all four corners.

I've been thinking getting 5mm spacer for the front to match the rear wheel offset better. The free wheel studs just make me spend more $$$.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
kalare
Private
Rep

Quote:
That is great if they do one free axle. I will buy a set for the rear to match all four corners.

I've been thinking getting 5mm spacer for the front to match the rear wheel offset better. The free wheel studs just make me spend more $$$.
Looks like they confirmed that all GB participants will get a free axle stud kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
j03chu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SG/IR Z4MR | 07 AW/Blk Z4MC

I'm in need of rotors (all 4)

Can anyone fill me in, cliffnotes*, why I would purchase 2 front RB rotors for $720 vs getting all 4 Z4m OEM's from Tischer online for $788?

Aside from the thicker / ventilated performance which the rotors offer, is there anything I'm missing?

Pending a nudge from a knowledgeable member and I'll be on the groupbuy!
KWV3 | CCW LM20 | Eventuri | Rogue Engineering short shifter, mounts and exhaust | BMW Motorsports shift knob | mudflaps | stubby antennas
Appreciate 0