ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #23
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 Roadster

I bought my first BMW 30 years ago - it is an E12 528i in Kaschmir Metallic. It was a beautiful and classy car that drove like a dream. I knew little about the cars before that except that I liked the looks and have always been a fan of the German engineering. Drove that car over 250k and finally parked it because I thought it was getting too tired and wasn't ever well suited to the TX heat. Should have spent the money that I spent on new car payments and kept it running. Bought a new Jetta then and just recently sold that with 275K on it. The BMW was far easier to keep running well than the VW and a comparative JOY to work on. Cost of repairs and parts was higher on the VW. Driving was not even comparable - even when the VW was new - and the VW was a good driving car. Just picked up an '08 3.0Si roadster about 4 months ago and am BACK IN THE SADDLE. Can't believe I waited so long. Porsche experience is cool but a bit too temperamental and pricey for me. I am not into the "image" but purely dig the driving experience.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #24
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDKrank View Post
I bought my first BMW 30 years ago - it is an E12 528i in Kaschmir Metallic. It was a beautiful and classy car that drove like a dream. I knew little about the cars before that except that I liked the looks and have always been a fan of the German engineering. Drove that car over 250k and finally parked it because I thought it was getting too tired and wasn't ever well suited to the TX heat. Should have spent the money that I spent on new car payments and kept it running. Bought a new Jetta then and just recently sold that with 275K on it. The BMW was far easier to keep running well than the VW and a comparative JOY to work on. Cost of repairs and parts was higher on the VW. Driving was not even comparable - even when the VW was new - and the VW was a good driving car. Just picked up an '08 3.0Si roadster about 4 months ago and am BACK IN THE SADDLE. Can't believe I waited so long. Porsche experience is cool but a bit too temperamental and pricey for me. I am not into the "image" but purely dig the driving experience.
Well said and welcome to the forum!!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 09:21 PM   #25
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

I love my 0 Z4M DD w/54.5K miles....the performance and styling is just awesome.
      09-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #26
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
I have a feeling you're not the kind of person who fears putting miles on your car haha!

That's how it should be though, it's funny how we try other things and end up where we started. Albiet with a little more appreciation for what we had in the first place.

Same here, dad had a E36 3-series, I told him high revving Japanese cars were better, then it was anything with a turbo and now I get to pass go and collect my $200 haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #27
TennesseeZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i; six speed manual

Do you drive? Or ride?

Smitten at an early age by Austin Healy 3000's, Datsun 240Z, and Triumph TR6, I have been a huge fan of the balance achieved with an inline six, a competent chassis, and a driving position of authority. While i have owned a number of BMW's, the design of the Z4 was absolutely a factor in my quest to own one. Factor in the inherent reliability of the manual transmission, the inline six and the dialed in suspension, and it was a fait de complie.

I have friends that exist in angst that their latest Infinity has silver impregnated wood, or that their Lexus is now a performance car. My simple question to them is, "Do you drive your car? Or simply ride in it?" If you answer yes to the latter, you should really look at a Lincoln. If you answer affirmative to the former, you should find your self ensconced in a German car. They just live differently on the road. And of all the German cars, I place BMW as the drivers car.

In my household, we currently have Mercedes, VW, and BMW. Oh, and I forgot the trash hauler GMC. We are drivers, and there are few cars that exist which translate the experience of driving like a German car.

Throw in the look of the Z4, and nothing else comes close for the price. Now a GT3? Or an R8? If price is not a consideration, those come in to play. Drive it. That is what they are built for.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #28
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Roadster View Post
I have a feeling you're not the kind of person who fears putting miles on your car haha!

That's how it should be though, it's funny how we try other things and end up where we started. Albiet with a little more appreciation for what we had in the first place.

Same here, dad had a E36 3-series, I told him high revving Japanese cars were better, then it was anything with a turbo and now I get to pass go and collect my $200 haha.
LOL, he's bought 3 cars in 30 years. I went through 5 before I graduated college and now 10 years later I'm still searching for that special car.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #29
HankDKrank
Seasoned Novice
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 Roadster

Quote:
LOL, he's bought 3 cars in 30 years.
Easy Twixboy - I went through six before I graduated from college and drove them all. Plus a couple of ten wheelers and a few Cat's, not to mention my wife and son's vehicles, motorcycles, boats, go carts, snowmobiles. All were/are driven. Still have my third vehicle too - 1951 Willys 4-73 - it's older than me.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #30
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Easy Twixboy - I went through six before I graduated from college and drove them all. Plus a couple of ten wheelers and a few Cat's, not to mention my wife and son's vehicles, motorcycles, boats, go carts, snowmobiles. All were/are driven. Still have my third vehicle too - 1951 Willys 4-73 - it's older than me.
No disrespect sir! I was impressed you put 250k and 275k miles on 2 cars in nearly 30 years.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #31
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
No disrespect sir! I was impressed you put 250k and 275k miles on 2 cars in nearly 30 years.
I've diagnosed myself with automotive ADD. I pretty much want to own everything at some point. The most I've put on a single car is about 30k miles. I think with the Z4 it'll be a long term relationship. I have big plans for her!

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #32
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

I've owned 3 German cars and I'm going to lump them together based on my experience. I've never had engine or transmission failure but it seems to me that Germans can't get electrical engineering or bodywork right.

1) 2001 VW GTI - multiple annoying issues. MAF sensor, engine temp sensor, coil pack, fuel pump relay, and then there's that time in winter when the window fell into the door.

2) 2008 BMW Z4M - Nothing of interest.

3) 2009 BMW X5 - brake light relay, NO2 sensor, cracked wire harness seal on top of the hatch that destroyed some modules in the back after it rained. Labor alone was $1000 on that to fish all that wiring through

That said, I like these cars when they work and find them the most attractive vehicles. I may move on with my next vehicle though.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #33
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Saw a Z4M Coupe for the first time in 2010 in California when I had my '94 Miata M edition. I didn't pay attention to BMW much aside from the M3 at the time so I had no idea what this thing was since it only had M badges. Got home and looked up the car and fell in love.

I then sold the Miata the next year before deploying to Afghanistan. I obsessed about the M coupe the whole deployment checking prices and availability and what not. At the end of the deployment I had my 3000gt VR4 shipped from Maryland to California after it had a full engine rebuild while I was gone. In 3kGT fashion, it broke the first day I got it back. A coolant hose split open dumping all the coolant out. I loved the VR4, but the reliability was an issue so I kept looking for M coupes in the area, but wasn't coming up with much.

Couple months later I was looking online and found an M roadster in similar colors to my Miata at a carmax near a girl I was dating. It was what I was looking for in a coupe actually, Interlagos Blue with Light Sepang leather. I went and checked out the car along with a Cayman and some other cars they had on the lot and took the M out for a test drive. I still had my heart set on the coupe so the next day I drove an hour and a half north to check out one at a BMW dealer. They were asking a few grand more than the roadster, and someone was already doing the paperwork on the car when I got there and it had black leather when I wanted the light sepang. I asked a salesman if I could at least sit in the car to check it out and he got the keys. I was disappointed to find that I wasn't happy with the rear visibility of the coupe. I just didn't like how small the windows were and didn't feel I would be comfortable with that on the highway.

So I went back to Carmax and bought the Roadster.
      10-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #34
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Short answer: I don't know why a BMW. I am a car guy. I have some track time. I have owned a lot of various cars. And I test drove 9 different makes and 12 different models before this purchase. Nothing else worked for ME. It floats my boat. I could go on and on but the justification really won't get any better than that.
You should know it when you find it.
Enjoy.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2015, 04:09 AM   #35
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

hmm.. typically my old man had Bimmers when i was a kid, (should have saved some of them, would probably be able to quit work now if he had). bought a M44 Mtech zed3 roadie while in Christchurch, and did a lot of touring in that. loved it..

got to Dubai, got a Z3 bread van, and liked that, though it had had a pretty rough life. Sold that, and replaced it with the Z4. Its pretty much the car of my dreams, i saw it first at the Sydney motorshow back in 06, and remember thinking, yeah, thats me baby.

This one is here to stay, too much sweat and cash has gone into it already.

but boy.. those long easy sweepers… this is when i am at one with the machine, when i am so focused, its like i am the only one left on the planet at this single moment, in this curve.. caught in this moment of time...

*couff* back to the real world..

the car for me is a distraction for real life, and hopefully down the line, ill do what my old man never did, and ill chuck a tarp on it, and stick it in the garage for my kid.