ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

My story (Why BMW...)

I am sure I am not the only one, especially on here, but I really love my car.
Also in response to “Why BMW, why your BMW?”

My history
I have always loved cars. I had/have a rather impressive collection of Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning, Corgi, AFX Slot… (You get the idea). I started my real cars with a 1976 Datsun B210, automatic (very un-fun car). Then I moved to a Pontiac Phoenix (Citation) with a four on the floor, horrible car, just horrible. When I was old enough, I test drove every car that I thought I could see myself owning. You name a 1980s to present sports like car and I have driven one. I went to college and got a 1985.5 Honda Prelude Si in red. Loved that car, it was my baby. I would just drive and drive, I put 50,000 miles on her in two years. Not sure how I made it through college :-O. This car was very rare in rural Missouri and it evoked strange emotions from people when they first saw it. It turned many heads. The only problem with the car was it was front wheel drive, it handled great and I had only owned one car that was rear wheel drive and it was the Datsun and it was for a very short time. I really did not know that rear wheel drive was so nice until much later (2003). Traded the Prelude in 1993 with 72,000 miles, last few years it was like a weekend car, for a new four door Civic manual. I used it to haul mountain bikes and started to use it for the white water kayaks, but it was too short. Moved to a 1994 Accord wagon automatic, it was a great hauler for my new toys. In 1999 I had a real love for wagons and drove the 325ix wagon and the Audi Avant S4. Wanted one or the other really bad, but it never happened. The divorce was in 2002 and that caused me to rethink my life. In 2003 I traded the Accord wagon in for a 2000 Toyota 4 Runner auto, little did I know how much this truck would change my life. Soon after the purchase of the Toyota I made a trip to the Nantahala Outdoor center (as I did many times since 1993) to attend an advanced white water course. Along the way I took the ‘Tail of the Dragon’ Deals Gap road between Tennessee and North Carolina. I had all of the windows down, the rear window down and the sun roof open with no music and would listen for the motor cycles to come roaring up and around me. This is when I realize that I had been all wrong about rear wheel drive cars. It was an awesome experience, I know that it was a tippy sport-ute, but I could feel the potential. I started looking at MR2 Spiders, MR2 second generations and Miatas. I re-married and got my wife a very nice 2004 Accord EX-L automatic, life was good. I traded the 4 Runner in on a 2005 Tundra quad cab; it was a great hauler and was so much more comfy than the 4 runner. Jump to January 2010, a very bad dark time for me. I lost the love of my life to a brain aneurysm. At age 43 I was a widower. Three months prior to this horrible event the local BMW dealer had a gorgeous 1999 Z3 show up on their lot and it had very low miles. My wife had made a comment on how much she liked it, I even went and looked at buying and it sold before I really had a chance to think about the purchase. I paid off the Accord and gave it to my step daughter. In March I needed a distraction for my life; I drove by car lots and looked at sports cars. Found some really nice cars. Test drove a 370Z Nismo, only one on the lot with a manual. The clutch was out of a truck and reminding me of my Pontiac Phoenix. I asked the dealership to located a White cabriolet with a manual and give me a call. The next day I went to the local BMW dealership to see if he had any idea where I could find a few years old Z3 or Z4, there were none on any local lots. The sales guy, that I have known and bugged for years, told me he had a 2007 Z4 white with red leather coming in about a week from then. I was shocked because I had just been on BMWs site the night before and built that exact car. I did not like the price as I was looking for a lower priced older car. Too much coincidence to pass up, he talked with the owner and got me a test drive the next day. I drove 50 feet and fell in love. I purchased it a week later when she traded it for a 325 convertible. I did not haggle on the price too much as I really did not care it was much more than I wanted to spend, what was a little more :-O. The days after that purchase were made much better and the long drives on the weekends saved me from being at home wondering what happened to my life. My mistress really got me through a very tough time in my life.

I have found someone new to share my life and Z4 with and life is better now, but I still have a very fond love for my Z4. Every time I drive her I remember how much I love to just drive. Like the Prelude from 1985.5 this car causes quite a stir when I drive her around. It has to be the color combination. I sometime forget why people are staring at me and then I remember that I am in the Z4. I do not ever see myself selling her, but I know better than to think I can keep her that long.

I just wanted to share my love for the Z4, thanks for reading.

Steve

Last edited by ShakyDog; 09-25-2015 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2015, 07:02 AM   #2
DEG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog
I am sure I am not the only one, especially on here, but I really love my car.
Also in response to “Why BMW, why your BMW?”

My history
I have always loved cars. I had/have a rather impressive collection of Matchbox, Hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning, Corgi, AFX Slot… (You get the idea). I started my real cars with a 1976 Datsun B210, automatic (very un-fun car). Then I moved to a Pontiac Phoenix (Citation) with a four on the floor, horrible car, just horrible. When I was old enough, I test drove every car that I thought I could see myself owning. You name a 1980s to present sports like car and I have driven one. I went to college and got a 1985.5 Honda Prelude Si in red. Loved that car, it was my baby. I would just drive and drive, I put 50,000 miles on her in two years. Not sure how I made it through college :-O. This car was very rare in rural Missouri and it evoked strange emotions from people when they first saw it. It turned many heads. The only problem with the car was it was front wheel drive, it handled great and I had only owned one car that was rear wheel drive and it was the Datsun and it was for a very short time. I really did not know that rear wheel drive was so nice until much later (2003). Traded the Prelude in 1993 with 72,000 miles, last few years it was like a weekend car, for a new four door Civic manual. I used it to haul mountain bikes and started to use it for the white water kayaks, but it was too short. Moved to a 1994 Accord wagon automatic, it was a great hauler for my new toys. In 1999 I had a real love for wagons and drove the 325ix wagon and the Audi Avant S4. Wanted one or the other really bad, but it was never happened. The divorce was in 2002 and that caused me to rethink my life. In 2003 I traded the Accord wagon in for a 2000 Toyota 4 Runner auto, little did I know how much this truck would change my life. Soon after the purchase of the Toyota I made a trip to the Nantahala Outdoor center (as I did many times since 1993) to attend an advanced white water course. Along the way I took the ‘Tail of the Dragon’ Deals Gap road between Tennessee and North Carolina. I had all of the windows down, the rear window down and the sun roof open with no music and would listen for the motor cycles to come roaring up and around me. This is when I realize that I had been all wrong about rear wheel drive cars. It was an awesome experience, I know that it was a tippy sport-ute, but I could feel the potential. I started looking at MR2 Spiders, MR2 second generations and Miatas. I re-married and got my wife a very nice 2004 Accord EX-L automatic, life was good. I traded the 4 Runner in on a 2005 Tundra quad cab; it was a great hauler and was so much more comfy than the 4 runner. Jump to January 2010, a very bad dark time for me. I lost the love of my life to a brain aneurysm. At age 43 I was a widower. Three months prior to this horrible event the local BMW dealer had a gorgeous 1999 Z3 show up on their lot and it had very low miles. My wife had made a comment on how much she liked it, I even went and looked at buying and it sold before I really had a chance to think about the purchase. I paid off the Accord and gave it to my step daughter. In March I needed a distraction for my life; I drove by car lots and looked at sports cars. Found some really nice cars. Test drove a 370Z Nismo, only one on the lot with a manual. The clutch was out of a truck and reminding me of my Pontiac Phoenix. I asked the dealership to located a White cabriolet with a manual and give me a call. The next day I went to the local BMW dealership to see if he had any idea where I could find a few years old Z3 or Z4, there were none on any local lots. The sales guy, that I have known and bugged for years, told me he had a 2007 Z4 white with red leather coming in about a week from then. I was shocked because I had just been on BMWs site the night before and built that exact car. I did not like the price as I was looking for a lower priced older car. Too much coincidence to pass up, he talked with the owner and got me a test drive the next day. I drove 50 feet and fell in love. I purchased it a week later when she traded it for a 325 convertible. I did not haggle on the price too much as I really did not care it was much more than I wanted to spend, what was a little more :-O. The days after that purchase were made much better and the long drives on the weekends saved me from being at home wondering what happened to my life. My mistress really got me through a very tough time in my life.

I have found someone new to share my life and Z4 with and life is better now, but I still have a very fond love for my Z4. Every time I drive her I remember how much I love to just drive. Like the Prelude from 1985.5 this car causes quite a stir when I drive her around. It has to be the color combination. I sometime forget why people are staring at me and then I remember that I am in the Z4. I do not ever see myself selling her, but I know better than to think I can keep her that long.

I just wanted to share my love for the Z4, thanks for reading.

Steve
Great story Steve. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Awesome story mate,

Sorry for your loss, no one deserves to go that young.
I am also very happy to hear youve found someone else to share your life. Very nice to hear mate.

Love the zed's man, sounds like you do too. ;-), they are a great distraction when life throws you a curveball on a late tuesday afternoon...

If your ever in Dubai man, drop in, my shout for a few beers, and thx for sharing.

V.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Ditto what Vanne said; I'm very sorry for such a huge loss but its great to see that your life is back on track. Your story shows that you never know what challenges folks are dealing with in life, even when things appear cool from your own perspective.

Kinda reminds me of a Roger Daltrey tune called "Days of Light" (its kind of a pop release that I'm sure Who purists would groan over) but the lyrics go "we're all runnin' in the same race". Nice driving song actually. Funny story about that though. I went into the local CD store to find a copy and I asked the young girl there where I could find the Roger Daltrey CDs. She looked at me and said "who?" I replied "Yes - exactly!" She just gave me a blank look.

Anyway - enjoy life and drink Vanne's beer!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Very enjoyable Post. Many parallels to my life of driving. Actually I barely made it through college because of the car sitting out there in the parking lot calling to me for a drive. Even in high school I planned and made option lists during class. My first car right out of college was a Porsche Super Speedster. Wish I kept it along with a long string of similar cars that are now desired by collectors and new enthusiasts. I am retired now but I still have the addiction. My Z4 E89 is calling to me right now. I wish you well. Hope you share some picture and keep posting.
Appreciate 0