ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-24-2023, 10:40 AM   #1
klaussca
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

Run Flat vs Regular Tires

I didn't see anything about this when I did a search, I have read a couple messages that regular tires help your car handle better over run flat. I was wondering what you guys feel is better for a 2004 Z4 Roadster

Run Flat or Regular Tires and why?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 01:22 PM   #2
Piper1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaussca View Post
I didn't see anything about this when I did a search, I have read a couple messages that regular tires help your car handle better over run flat. I was wondering what you guys feel is better for a 2004 Z4 Roadster

Run Flat or Regular Tires and why?
Run flats seem to give false sense of security. A puncture you can still drive safe at specific speed and miles on but shredded tire on a steel plate in a construction zone (witnessed first hand) and you’re still up shits creek.

From a performance side rf are less compliant in part I believe in how the make up of the sidewall is in order to support when flat. I have rf Bridgestones from the PO on my e86 and grooved roads it pulls you all over. Quite a different story in my roadster on Toyo r1r on the same stretch of road, nor do my non rf snow tires do that in my e82. Not apples to apples on tire comparison per se rf AS to non rf AS and different on car set up but yes non run flats in a performance tire will do the performance they’re rated for. Only reason I have them on my e86 is tires are still good and waiting to get new tires for new wheels later this year.

Last edited by Piper1; 03-24-2023 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2023, 02:55 PM   #3
klaussca
United_States
Rep

Piper1,

Thank you for your comments. My run flats are it good shape and can last a while longer, but am considering replacing them, as I do notice the difference between old grooved road and newly non grooved road. I guess of the list of mods and upgrade I am thinking about this will be high on my list.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 05:53 AM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Non-M Z4's are known to suffer from a bit of tramlining. I got used to it, but if I were trying to eliminate it I'd look at alignment before tires.

Run flat tires have hard sidewalls and provide a harsher ride quality, in a car that already has a pretty crispy ride. Non-run flats will improve ride and handling. Just throw a patch kit in the trunk.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2023, 08:07 AM   #5
klaussca
United_States
Rep

Thank you for your input, I will look into an alignment before considering new tires. Should do that anyway since I am not sure when the last time it was checked.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 03:54 AM   #6
zoomnad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4si "M" suspension

I had run flats on my BMW128i AND I HATED THEM! But....since there is no spare tire, and if you a flat, well...I bought a 12-volt inflator, and a plug kit and put that in my Z4. Slime makes one that fits in the battery compartment along the plugs.
      10-17-2023, 08:46 AM   #7
B328iC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97 328iC, 2003 Z4

I have an 03 E85. I recently switched to the non run flats from run flats. The ride is noticeably better. The car seems to feel better in the turns as well. On a side note I had to replace my entire front end components on the car at 58K miles. This seemed a bit early but due to always having run-flats on it I'm betting the increased loads on the suspension helped lead to the early failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 02:01 PM   #8
Bridge1821
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Run Flat Winter Tires

My 2006 Z4 got a set of RF Blizzaks for winter and wet weather driving where I used to live on the Oregon coast and I've never taken them off. They're wearing well and traction is great.
Appreciate 0