ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
flibuoy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Z4 non-RFT question for those with experience

I have an '03 Z4 with Sport suspension option. It is currently on stock Bridgestone RFT and although there is no immediate need I plan to switch to conventional tires...already have towing coverage. In reading Tire rack material the Hankook V12 seems to do as well or better than many "big name" tires and are hugely discounted. I want good response in the dry, ultimate grip not as important in dry as it is in the wet...Houston area gets some big rain...want them quiet and ride is probably a minor consideration behind wet grip and quiet.

Question then is there anyone running them who can comment? If not then any others have strong opinion on their choice of tires?

Thanks, John
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
ravinxd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 with M-sport pkg

I switched out of the runflats on both my Z4 3.0si and 330i to the Hankook's you mentioned above on the 330i and Sumito's HRT Z III on my Z4 (both have same tire sizes - 225s front, 255s back, 18"). First, I'm a big proponent of switching to non-run flats - keep a conti-emergency kit on board just in case of a flat - but, the ride is much improved - handling is at least as good. Also, I believe the Sumito's are marginally better in ride characteristics (handling feel and road noise) - but, I'm happy with both in the rain. I live in Iowa, so these are both only used in summer - but, they have plenty of exposure to rain.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Z4 Poppy
Z4 Poppy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Changed to conventional tires in Oct of 2008. I got the Bridgestone all season that were as close to the OEM runflats as I could get. I have not had any problems, the car rides and drives much different. I bought a scissor jack and a tubeless tire repair kit. Also got a folding four way lugwrench and a compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I have not needed any of it yet, but if I do I'm prepared. Also have BMW Assist and AAA. I've been very pleased with the results. My Z4 is a 2006 3.0i roadster.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Don L
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe

Hi

ravinxd, what air pressures are you using on your z4?

Don L
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Cruiser565
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4, 2004 545i SMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by flibuoy View Post
I have an '03 Z4 with Sport suspension option. It is currently on stock Bridgestone RFT and although there is no immediate need I plan to switch to conventional tires...already have towing coverage. In reading Tire rack material the Hankook V12 seems to do as well or better than many "big name" tires and are hugely discounted. I want good response in the dry, ultimate grip not as important in dry as it is in the wet...Houston area gets some big rain...want them quiet and ride is probably a minor consideration behind wet grip and quiet.

Question then is there anyone running them who can comment? If not then any others have strong opinion on their choice of tires?

Thanks, John
Don't know if you still watching this thread, but I put the V12's on last fall and could NOT be happier! The car rides like a completely different car and I love it. I went to sears and picked up a slime kit in case of emergency.

Will
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
16thBMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [7.00]
Thumbs up Michelin Zero Pressure

I just put on Michelin PS2 ZPs replacing the OEM Bridgestones. The ride with the Michelins is SOOOO much better...exactly how the Roadster should feel; firm and yet not jarring, feel the pavement but not get tossed around by it (posted a longer discussion on the Tire Rack forum at Bimmerfest). If you're thinking about replacing the OEMs and want to keep the Run Flats, recommend you give the Michelins a try.

Driving: 15th(F25/2017 X3); 16th(E89/2016 35is) BMW's
Retired: 14 BMW's (1968 1600-02, 1972 2002, E30x3, E34, E36x2, E39x2, E46, E83x2, E85)
Current: 8 BMW's in Family
Appreciate 0