ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
williamr91
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, z4 & 428i coupe

New to me e85

Hello all, I've been in the market for a z4 3.0 for a few weeks now. Looking at one tonight, it is an 04' with about 50k miles, good service history, well cared for, from pictures it looks great.

Just trying to get an idea of two things.

First, what would a fair purchase/offer be? NADA shows about 11,500, KBB a little less. It is an auto, has heated seats, sport package, 18 in wheels, power top, etc. Basically every option except for Navi/GPS.

Second, it has about 215hp, we test drove a 3.0SI (06') a few days ago, and that was a fun little car with good power, what mods can I do to get close to the si power? I was hoping to do the 3 stage intake, heads, exhaust, etc, but as it turns out the 04' has a M52 (or w/e it is) no N52 so from the bit of research I've done, I cannot do the 3 stage intake manifold...is this accurate?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If it is a 2004 3.0i that you are looking at, then I think it actually makes a nominal 225 hp - bonus 10 hp over the 215 you thought you were looking at! It has a cast iron engine block as I recall, so it can be modded to make more hp if you want to do that.

Starting in 2006, the 3.0i at 215 hp replaced the 189 hp 2.5i produced for the 2003 - 2005 model years. The 3.0si does make 255 hp as you say, but owing to the fact that it has an aluminum / magnesium engine block, it can't be easily modded to produce much more power. The 3.0 I and 3.0si for 2006 onwards are very similar (same aluminum / magnesium block, for example), except the si has some special tweaks for a few more ponies.

One small tip - make sure the power top opens and closes smoothly - and there should be no red lights blinking on the power top buttons at the end of the sequence.

Oh - and in return for the comments, I'll happily accept some warm weather because its blooming freezing in my part of Canada.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamr91 View Post
Hello all, I've been in the market for a z4 3.0 for a few weeks now. Looking at one tonight, it is an 04' with about 50k miles, good service history, well cared for, from pictures it looks great.

Just trying to get an idea of two things.

First, what would a fair purchase/offer be? NADA shows about 11,500, KBB a little less. It is an auto, has heated seats, sport package, 18 in wheels, power top, etc. Basically every option except for Navi/GPS.

Second, it has about 215hp, we test drove a 3.0SI (06') a few days ago, and that was a fun little car with good power, what mods can I do to get close to the si power? I was hoping to do the 3 stage intake, heads, exhaust, etc, but as it turns out the 04' has a M52 (or w/e it is) no N52 so from the bit of research I've done, I cannot do the 3 stage intake manifold...is this accurate?
I would also carefully check for sticky steering. Look this up on Google. You don't want a car with this issue as it will require a new steering column to fully fix it. I wouldn't be worried about power. That motor has plenty of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

The 2.5 and 3.0 are an alloy block and heads and known as the M54.

You can do cams, add headers, supercharge etc for added power but that all comes with a heavy price tag. Best bang for the buck is a lower final drive ratio of 3.64 or 3.73 to increase the torque multiplication.
IMO its worthwhile starting with the N52 or better still an M model.
Prices are very reasonable. There is actually an M for sale in my neck of the woods that would be about 15k USD.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      06-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #5
williamr91
United_States
Rep

Thanks the responses guys. I was hoping for a z4m or the is, but within a 200 mile radius I cannot find anything that fits those criteria. There is a m on CL, but the owner doesn't respond/might be a fake ad. There is the IS we test drove, asking 14k and not willing to budge much, it has 75k and needs a fair bit of work (new pump for the top...it works "manually"), new tires, a good detail and has missing trim around the windshield. I offered 9k and they wouldn't counter...It needs 3k in work to get it to a good level, so passing on that.

I drove another 03' 3.0 it was in much better condition, but had an aftermarket radio and two amps in the trunk, kind of put me off as they were not in photos. Overall car was good, had new top & pump with receipts. All in all it seems like a great car, just couldn't get past the radio and the fact it came with 18' sport tires (sport package, sport button, etc) but has ugly 16' 3 series wheels on it. Overall a clean example and something I'm considering, asking just under 10k with about 79k miles.

The one that is pulling my wife and I is a 04' "merlot red" so like a purple, not the best color in pictures, but in person it was quite nice...plus it's her car, so I don't mind the color. This one is pristine, just over 50,200 on the clock, nicely spected, no sport package, but it does have new tires, 18' wheels, paint is perfect, engine runs very well, stock everything with a great history/receipts and it shows. She's asking 9800 so I think I'm going to jump on it.

As far as sticky steering, the IS I don't think is a concern for that, but the 03' did have slightly tighter steering than the other two, so not sure what that is about, I figured the extra rubber.

I daily a 330ish hp, 6 speed, rwd 911 coupe with no traction control, no stability control, etc. It weights in just under 3k lbs with a full tank, hence my desire for the n52 or M to get a bit more power, but overall for a nice, clean cruiser I think she'll have to make due with 225 lol.

I'll post pics with whatever we get. Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The 04 certainly has concern for sticky steering, so make sure you drive it on a hot afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamr91 View Post
Thanks the responses guys. I was hoping for a z4m or the is, but within a 200 mile radius I cannot find anything that fits those criteria. There is a m on CL, but the owner doesn't respond/might be a fake ad.
If you really want an M, you need to be willing to travel, as they are hard to come by. I'm in the Denver area and had to go to Phoenix to find my M. I haven't regretted it.

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Merlot Red is a really nice color I have to say. A work colleague of mine had a Z4 3.0i in merlot red with the light sand / tan interior and it was stunning.

Good luck!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
williamr91
United_States
Rep

Well ended up buying the 04' with 52k miles for $9800. Pretty happy with it, super clean, has black kidney grills and a black interior which sets it off pretty well. I changed the oil, filters and spark plugs over the weekend. Then decided to do the intake bellow mod and removed the foam to make the engine noise louder in the cabin...it was way too loud. Droned and over 3k rpm was pretty bad. It was louder in the cabin than my 996 with cat (evoms) and muffler (fabspeed) bypass pipes and race headers, probably due to the rear engine layout but man I must be getting old haha. Needless to say, I put the smaller piece back so it's like having half the mod, it's livable with a nice sound but no drone and easy to chat.

No sticky steering, but will be monitoring that. Overall the wife is happy with it, now to sell the s4 cabriolet since she already got the replacement.

I'll post some pics soon, going out of town tomorrow so will be busy getting ready.

On a side note for mods, definitely going to give the ebay headers and a tune a shot, in Michigan there's no inspections so shouldn't have any issues. Lots of room to work and no rust, so shouldn't be a hard job. If it isn't loud enough, probably will pull the muffler and do a higher performance one, super sprint or something.
Appreciate 0