ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #23
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
Great project!
I know from reading enough of these swaps that the biggest issue is computer controls for the car vs. the engine.

I seriously thought about swapping an LS7 into my e90 330 and it basically came down to the fact that it would be "impossible" due to the computer issues. A local shop who is REALLY good at doing stuff like this said the "impossible" can be done, it just costs more

Good-luck!
I don't think it is impossible. I have the same plan as you. There is a member in the ls1tech forum who wired his e46 canbus system to work in the swap. He just made what he called a trigger wheel to trick the BMW ecu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8z4 View Post
I'm ditching the entire BMW ECU and running the LSx off of the GM ECU. I'm working with some guys over on Bimmerforums to create a CANBus interface that will take the GM tach/speedo/temps/etc. outputs, put them onto the CANBus, and drive the gauges/AC/etc. We think we have it all sorted out (or mostly sorted out), but none of us have a "driving" car yet to test with (we either have stock setup still/me, cars that don't run/blown BMW engine, or are in the middle of the project/pulled engine but nothing finished yet).

Worst case I am willing to ditch the factory gauges and build a new cluster around aftermarket gauges.

I believe I have seen the video about the system you are referencing. Check out bikearmblair, i believe is his name, in the ls1tech forum. He does wiring by profession and swapped an ls into his e46 and overcame the issue using both ecu's.

I have been reading a book on building a custom ls2. I hope to do as you have and stockpile parts until I can do a swap of my own. This is a great thread. Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #24
lsz4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 6.0

Hi v8z4 I'm putting an ls2 in an E86 at the moment mine is a full track car, once you get started on motor fitment you realise its not going to be that easy.

I have completely ditched the z4 rack steering and suspension and modified the cross member and suspension from a holden hsv (Pontiac gto) for a couple of reasons this has much more adjustment than the z4 and I can get a set of ohlins to suit, chassis had to be cut and strut towers have to be moved back to get the geometry right.

the bigger problem with the original z4 suspension set up is the mounts at the rear of the lower control arm are mounted inside the rail limiting where you can mount the motor or run your exhaust switching to holden front end eliminated that problem

As the power steering s based on wheel sensors, engine speed,yaw sensors that are hooked into the bmw computer this will no longer work either, you may find away around it but it will be extremely difficult. I'm just swapping it for the holden set up.

to get the weight back to 50/ 50 you need to remove a section of the firewall keep in mind my car has been completely stripped bare you should have a little more weight in the rear.

mine will be set up for track it's probably more effort than you need to go too, and most of my problems have stemmed from suspension issues trying to get it to work with the flossman gtr kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 roadster

Hey,
I’m surprised you had issues with getting exhaust past the lollypops. There have already been a bunch of E46 swaps that use long tube headers, and the Z4/E46 suspension is identical (parts, spacing, etc.). I’m planning to initially run a set of shorty headers (hooker swap manifolds) for the initial install since they are easier/faster to setup than building long tubes. Once the car is up and running, I'll map out and build long tube headers to fit.

Even the oil pan shouldn’t be an issue as people use f-body pans to clear the E46 cross-member (I’m using an LS7 dry sump pan).
I have ditched the electronic steering and am in the process of finishing the conversion to the Z4M roadster hydraulic steering rack. That gets the last of the BMW computer out of things (I’m tossing the BMW computer out entirely). I’m also installing a GM hydroboost (with a C5 master cylinder adapted) for braking (ABS was removed over a year ago).
Do you have an actual weight comparison of the i6 vs. LS? Everything I have found puts the engines at basically the same weight (+/- 25lbs). The LS is shorter than the i6 and I’m pulling it back about 3” to hit the shifter location. So I should be shifting the weight center back some either way.

Long term, I’m kicking the idea around of converting the frontend from a strut to a SLA setup. I have a professional suspension modeling program on my computer at home which I have been doing all the design work on. If I can find some Z4M spindles, it should be relatively easy to adapt an upper A-arm and gain a good camber curve. Though, it’s hard to come up with a reason to make such a conversion when the Z4/E46 suspension already handles so amazingly.

Post some pictures of your progress. I’m shooting for Christmas time on my swap (saving up to build the motor this fall).

Chris
      08-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
lsz4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 6.0

Hi Chris
well for the best part it sounds like you are around it and more than capable.
As I said most of the problems I have had are from the height we need to run the car and that we also need more adjustment than the z4 suspension can give, if it was the z4m setup you wouldn't have the same issue.

I haven't weighed the motors but I do know that when I removed the both the engines( I bought a whole wrecked donor car) the ls2 and box was need to be lifted from a shorter point on the lift and in comparison to the 3.0 was a lot harder to move around on the lift.

I'll post some updated pics when I can get them off my phone, bloody computer won't recognise my iphone 5 as a device, apple POS
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #27
papak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

What is the weight difference?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #28
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

Well, update.... change of plans......... supercharged 383 is a no-go.....

Lucked into the block and heads to build an LS7 (427), so I'm going N/A.
      08-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #29
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

Well, I backed the car into the garage this morning and shut the 2.5i down for the last time. This afternoon I will start removing pieces to make way for the engine to come out in the morning. I have an empty block/heads that I'll be using to mock up so HOPEFULLY I'll have some shots by the end of the weekend.

Until then, MORE TOYS showed up today! Porsche 996 front/rear calipers and CSL 345mm front rotors (still waiting on the mounting brackets). These things are HUGE! I didn't grasp just how big these rotors were until I got them in my hand. Between these and the hydroboost, I won't be short on stopping power.

08-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #30
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

Glad to hear about the ls7...did you ever sell the 2.5 and tranny?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #31
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
Glad to hear about the ls7...did you ever sell the 2.5 and tranny?
Sure did. Guy came and picked it up last night ($1500 cash).

I'm starting a new "build" thread:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...4#post14597494
      01-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #32
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

any updates here. I am trying to get an LS into my e90. Can you measure the space you have between the frame rails?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #33
speddmn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
any updates here. I am trying to get an LS into my e90. Can you measure the space you have between the frame rails?
lose your tape measure?

bags are for groceries.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:24 PM   #34
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

On my Z4, the frame rails are ~27-1/4" and there is plenty of room for the LS to "fit". The difficulty is (as we all know) the driver's side header/exhaust manifold. If I ever do another LSx BMW conversion (ie: wife's e46 325i), I will go with a single passenger's side mounted turbocharger. That way I can take the driver's side manifold forward, down, and to the passenger's side and avoid all the header issues (plus build far more HP/TQ).

A lot has happened over the past few months, but I have been so busy with work (and working on the car) that I have not been online much. The motor is currently mounted, I'm 80% done with the driver's side 1-7/8 long tube header, and I hope to start on the passenger's side this weekend. The rotating assembly is being balanced (my machinist had back surgery so was out of work for a few months) and the LS7 block is on its way to CA for a resleeve. Unfortunately, tax season is starting so most of my weekends (through April) will be spent at the office rather than in the garage. Shooting for a summer time completion (if everything works out).
      01-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #35
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speddmn View Post
lose your tape measure?
I actually think I have lost it. Nonetheless, I know what the distance is on my E90 but I wanted to know about the car in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8z4 View Post
On my Z4, the frame rails are ~27-1/4" and there is plenty of room for the LS to "fit". The difficulty is (as we all know) the driver's side header/exhaust manifold. If I ever do another LSx BMW conversion (ie: wife's e46 325i), I will go with a single passenger's side mounted turbocharger. That way I can take the driver's side manifold forward, down, and to the passenger's side and avoid all the header issues (plus build far more HP/TQ).

A lot has happened over the past few months, but I have been so busy with work (and working on the car) that I have not been online much. The motor is currently mounted, I'm 80% done with the driver's side 1-7/8 long tube header, and I hope to start on the passenger's side this weekend. The rotating assembly is being balanced (my machinist had back surgery so was out of work for a few months) and the LS7 block is on its way to CA for a resleeve. Unfortunately, tax season is starting so most of my weekends (through April) will be spent at the office rather than in the garage. Shooting for a summer time completion (if everything works out).

I hear you. An L33 with a single turbo would do the trick nicely and be relatively inexpensive. The shop was also terrified of the wiring. I am still searching for a shop to do it for me. What will you do for the electronics?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #36
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
I actually think I have lost it. Nonetheless, I know what the distance is on my E90 but I wanted to know about the car in question.

I hear you. An L33 with a single turbo would do the trick nicely and be relatively inexpensive. The shop was also terrified of the wiring. I am still searching for a shop to do it for me. What will you do for the electronics?
I lose my tape measure all the time (usually find it behind the jack stand that I can't see around because I'm flat on my back under the car).

See other post for electronics response.