ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #1
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

I always thought moving the shifter to the left meant it was in sport..

Boy was I wrong. First time actually pressing the sport button and the suspension and throttle changed dramatically.. even for a 2.5. Can't imagine what a 35is feels like with sport..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiter View Post
pressing the sport button and the suspension changed dramatically.. even for a 2.5.
P L A C E B O
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #3
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

After a few donuts and spirited driving through some winding roads.. the sport button makes a huge difference in handling. Feels like my car is a go-kart now with very little power steering and the throttle response is immediate. How did i not know this the past 5 years?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
P L A C E B O
I totally agree....

Quote:
Boy was I wrong. First time actually pressing the sport button and the suspension and throttle changed dramatically.. even for a 2.5. Can't imagine what a 35is feels like with sport..
There's no difference in the suspension, so handling should be identical with just a little resistance in the electric steering, the shift points change and the throttle is more touchy, but no added power.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
After a few donuts and spirited driving through some winding roads.. the sport button makes a huge difference in handling. Feels like my car is a go-kart now with very little power steering and the throttle response is immediate. How did i not know this the past 5 years?
Pla. Ce. Bo.

The Matrix has you. What your mind perceive as "better" handling because you pushed some stupid button BMW marketed as "Sport" automatically makes you think the car "handles" better.

Because, otherwise, why would BMW put a button that says "Sport" if all it does is reduce steering wheel boost assist via the electronic Power Steering pump, hold the automatic transmission (if equipped) in gear longer, and artificially remap throttle input to make it look and feel like you're actually pressing the gas pedal harder than you really are?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:46 PM   #6
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

There is no spoon.
      02-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Come on, we all feel like that sometimes.. like when we add ///M badges to the car, instantly it adds 30hp and increases grip by a pucker factor of 2. I for one say, push that button, push it and feel like your the king of the road.