ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
PatJags156
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible

What is with non-friendly Z4 drivers in NJ?

On my way to work this morning I spotted an Interlagos M coupe driving on 287 North. I pulled in behind him and followed him. After 5 mins he pulled away rather quickly. We were in traffic so he didn't get very far. Once I was able to catch up to him, I pulled up next to him hoping to see a friendly wave, smile or even an acknowledgement..nothing! He got off the Morristown exit and that was it.

This has been my experience with all Z4 owners in NJ..I don't get it. When I had a Z3, every single owner would wave..every single one.

Why are Z4 owners like this?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
hahah Blue one? with a "paw sticker" on the back?

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
PatJags156
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakib View Post
hahah Blue one? with a "paw sticker" on the back?
No I don't think so. It had PA plates.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Burn0utsRfun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Rdstr

I completely agree, I'm the first to pull up next to a fellow Z, M or not. I look over and the person looks like they are taking a duce in their car and never looks over. It's not just Z's either. Maybe its a Jersey thing, I'm from a different country so maybe there is something I don't know...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn0utsRfun View Post
I completely agree, I'm the first to pull up next to a fellow Z, M or not. I look over and the person looks like they are taking a duce in their car and never looks over. It's not just Z's either. Maybe its a Jersey thing, I'm from a different country so maybe there is something I don't know...
one thing to remember about NJ more than some parts of the country is that there is a lot of nice cars and not as many enthusiasts in them. I see countless performance/luxury cars around and I bet you half the times, the owner does not have a clue on whats under the hood. Don't get offended, just keep your eyes open as there are plenty of enthusiasts around

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I find the same thing here in eastern Canada. I've got a 3.0si and last year at a stop light I pulled up alongside a pre-facelift 3.0 droven by an older guy. It was a nice sunny day and we both had the tops down. My kid was with me and we were about to wave when buddy took off like a bat outa hell.

What a freakin' jerk.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

What's the proper etiquette to acknowledge another cool car? I try not to look over because I don't want to appear like I want to race. I remember I acknowledged a E39 m5 once, he waved, and then he floored it while zipping in and out of traffic. *Shrugs*

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
What's the proper etiquette to acknowledge another cool car? I try not to look over because I don't want to appear like I want to race. I remember I acknowledged a E39 m5 once, he waved, and then he floored it while zipping in and out of traffic. *Shrugs*
I'd imagine if a basic "thumbs up" doesn't get a wave back,eff em',lol.

They either can't guess what you mean-(clueless lease car driver)...or are just not enthusiasts about their car choice enough to even recognize that your driving a similar car.

Oh well.................
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
PatJags156
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Every time I saw a Z3 driver, enthusiast or not, man or woman, they waved or gave me a thumbs up. Are Z4 drivers that different?!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJags156 View Post
Every time I saw a Z3 driver, enthusiast or not, man or woman, they waved or gave me a thumbs up. Are Z4 drivers that different?!
I think there are still quite a few poseurs in Z4s that haven't gotten the new z4 yet. I don't see many z3s anymore, and the drivers seem a bit older / aware of what type of car they own and the significance of the same.

I could be wrong, but I feel that people who would buy a z3 nowadays would have to be z3 aficionados--therefore they would be more aware of the car they have.

I think it's the same reason that someone who has a 1960's car would most likely know when someone pulled up in the same car. The z3s are getting a little older now...

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
It is the same here. I waved at another M coupe and he begrudgingly waved back like it was a big effort. But people are pretty unfriendly and passive agressive out here.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

When in doubt, whip it out
      04-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0i

I'm going to have to agree with the OP on this one. I pulled up next to a fellow z4 owner (Gray, clear tail lights, and NC plates) in Newark and looked over at him to say hi. He looked like he had just had the worst day of his life.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
ZedFourM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC - Interlagos

Funny, the first M Coupe I ever saw was early in '06, on my way to a wedding in Connecticut, when an Interlagos Coupe blew by me on I-287 Nothbound (I remember the highway and I don't even live in Jersey) - we were right in one of these roadcuts through some very white rock, and the Interlagos was shining. I had NO IDEA what the car even was, but I was stunned. I knew I wanted one. Took me four years, but I got one.

The other day I saw the second Coupe I have ever seen 'in the wild' -- a black Z4, turning in front of me to head towards my home. I followed him since he was going my way, waved at lights, etc. No acknowledgment at all. I really don't get that -- I was so excited to see another Coupe!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
ramp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91, Lemans Blue

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Z4

Maybe I should sell mine and go back to driving the 56 MGA. MG owners always wave. Its a British thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #16
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

If you drive your car to get waves and thumbs up from other drivers, you're driving it for the wrong reason.

That said, e30 guys usually wave. Most bike guys wave when I'm on the bike (except elitist Harley guys that are too good for a sport bike). And I'd say about 70-85% of the z's I've come across while in my Z wave - especially if they're in a z3.
      04-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKe86 View Post
If you drive your car to get waves and thumbs up from other drivers, you're driving it for the wrong reason.
Yup. We drive around aimlessly hoping for someone to wave at us. lol Dude we joined the forum to talk to other enthusiasts like ourselves. So it's not much to ask to expect a wave from an alleged fellow enthusiast. If they were as in love with the z4 as we are, they'd wave to a fellow z4 driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Not to say that people who drive their cars stock aren't enthusiasts, but you can typically tell who is driving a BMW because of the car rather than an image, especially based on how the owner has modified them. Just yesterday gave a mutual wave/thumbsup with a guy in a E36 M3 with Fikse wheels - now someone obsessed with image isn't going to throw those wheels on a 12-16yr old car...the average consumer can't tell the difference between those and a $400 set of ASAs (not hating on ASA just sayin')

I really do hate to be judgmental about "real" enthusiasts vs. otherwise, but IMO the friendliest BMW drivers are ones with the BMWCCA sticker, or with "performance" oriented mods. A stock E46 330 with 10k angel eyes and the driver reclined halfway to Munich is not (typically) going to as receptive and enthusiastic as one with a lightweight set of wheels and some decent rubber. They are also more likely to not drive like a jackass around you to prove something after acknowledging each other, as mature enthusiasts know there is a time and place for this. Again, I'm generalizing, which is always going to get you in trouble in one way or another, but using a bit of discretion will help you weed out the Z4's driven by 40 something interior designers because the car is "cute" from those who drive it because they are an "enthusiast"

While I make no delusions I am driving an Italian exotic or anything, I do realize that it's certainly not a car people see every day, and it's certainly not the most "discrete" either. I had a guy talking on his phone outside of his 3 series give me a thumbs up and I waved back. I parked to get some lunch, and he had found me and was behind me in his car, asking me about the car. Sure it was drizzling slightly, but not crazy and it turned out the guy used to track 911s before his family responsibilities and the economy caught up. Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm, we chatted for a few minutes, and went on our way. No doubt in my mind he dug up some old pictures of his Porsches that night... Take compliments with sincere appreciation, and if it really is a bad time to take a few minutes and talk say so thoughtfully.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #19
PatJags156
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well said!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceMiro View Post
Yup. We drive around aimlessly hoping for someone to wave at us. lol Dude we joined the forum to talk to other enthusiasts like ourselves. So it's not much to ask to expect a wave from an alleged fellow enthusiast. If they were as in love with the z4 as we are, they'd wave to a fellow z4 driver.
That comment was aimed at ramp's last post in this thread.
      04-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKe86 View Post
That comment was aimed at ramp's last post in this thread.
I know. I was just poking fun. I'm sure ramp's post was too.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #22
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Interesting thread

esqu1re makes a good point about the Z3 Z4 demographics, and I think there's something to that. BTM's raises a lot of good points as well. I think both of them are on to something regarding the enthusiast crowd vs. those who drive the car because it's "cute" or the latest thing to be embraced by the fast and furious crowd. (My car was owned by some woman who apparently thought it was "cute", traded it in while shopping for a Cayenne but went with the Cayenne Turbo because it "cuter" than the regular Cayenne. Uh, yeah, clearly not an enthusiast.)

My experience too is that it's not so much a Z4 thing or whatever but as an enthusiast thing. Like BTM said, if the driver's an enthusiast they'll probably give some acknowledgment. Personally I've gotten thumbs ups and so on from guys in 'Vettes, 911s, various BMWs of different eras/types, and so on--if I think the driver (he or she) is an enthusiast I'll give them the thumbs up and tell them "nice car" if I am in a position to do so. Invariably if I get to talk to the folks who will acknowledge you they turn out to be enthusiasts of one kind or another. Some won't bother to look and pull some stupid **** too.

Since we are enthusiasts we're always trying to find people with the same interests (which is why we on this forum). When we see a Z4 we tend to probably hold out more hope a like-minded individual is behind the wheel so it's disappointing when they're not. I guess that's the nature of the game.
Appreciate 0