ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Common failure points to check during Inspection II?

My car is going in for Inspection II soon (came due around 45,500 miles). I'm developing a list of requests for the dealer, including that they return the valve adjustment "worksheet" describing shim additions/removals.

I assume they will have easy access to some of the infamous VANOS bolts? Should I ask them to re-torque and loctite them?

Also, since the previous owner stupidly skipped the 1,200 mile service, it's essential that the transmission fluid and diff oil get flushed as Inspection II technically requires. However, there have been so many horror stories about dealers simply skipping the majority of work required in Inspection II; any ideas for ways to ensure it all gets done?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Start with the inspection II checklist in the service manual (also found here on this board) and add your extra requests. Make a list as you indicated and go over it with the SA in advance. Expect to pay for services over & above the standard items if you dont have an obvious problem/noise to otherwise justify the work. I just put together my parts list for the service which I wil hand off to the SA in advance ( like the replacement plugs for diff/ tranny etc.)

Tell them you want the checklist completed and returned to you along with the valve worksheet. Defintely have them check the intake cam bolts ("vanos bolts") when they have the head apart.

When in doubt, get the service manager on the phone in advnace and tell him your concerns.

As others suggest, a case of beer in the trunk goes a long way towards goodwill.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The only way to ensure that it's done is if you DO IT YOURSELF. The majority of Inspection II items are fairly easy to do except the valve adjustment. And when they do the valve adjustment they'll see the VANOS cam bolts.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

High Pressure cooling line for the Power Steering. It will start weeping before it fails, somewhat common.
      07-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
High Pressure cooling line for the Power Steering. It will start weeping before it fails, somewhat common.
I noticed this weekend that mine is "damp". How long do I have?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

It fails very slowly from what I hear. Haven't heard of any failing catastrophically.
      07-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The only way to ensure that it's done is if you DO IT YOURSELF. The majority of Inspection II items are fairly easy to do except the valve adjustment. And when they do the valve adjustment they'll see the VANOS cam bolts.
They cannot see the VANOS cam bolts by just doing the Inspection II. Extra work has to be done to access the bolts.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
They cannot see the VANOS cam bolts by just doing the Inspection II. Extra work has to be done to access the bolts.
You can't see the heads but you can see the ends enough to see if any have backed out.

Chances are that if you've made it to inspectionII, you won't have a cam bolt issue.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input, all!

I've heard the beer suggestion a couple places -- are the techs actually allowed to drink while working on customer cars?! Would be awesome, but surprising. I definitely want to treat them any way I can (probably a cash tip too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm still under the extended maint. warranty, so with the work being pretty much free and myself unqualified to do the valve adjustment specifically, I'm hoping to make the most of its time at the dealer . I should have gotten some magnetic drain plugs for the tranny and diff (instead of just the oil pan), and asked for them to return the originals, thereby guaranteeing the fluid changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer View Post
Thanks for the input, all!

I've heard the beer suggestion a couple places -- are the techs actually allowed to drink while working on customer cars?! Would be awesome, but surprising. I definitely want to treat them any way I can (probably a cash tip too).
No, they can't drink on the job. Thing to do is leave a note, "thanks, these are for you guys after you're done on the car. Thanks." and tell the SA there's a case in the trunk for him/her and the techs after the car is done. Just a bit of a goodwill gesture that will get you noticed.

Despite our issues with some dealerships, if you spend any time in the waiting room at a dealer you realize it goes both ways. Man, some of the arrogant entitled customers they have to deal with! And it's not easy telling people who are out of warranty, and who continued to drive the car with no coolant that it's going to cost them a load of cash (at which point the idiot who drove w/o the coolant takes it out on the SA). Yep, been there for those. So the beer is generally appreciated when viewed in contrast, and makes our requests for adjustment worksheets seem okay and not picky, it's all about perception. (Beer makes everything better!!!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneEngineer View Post
I'm still under the extended maint. warranty, so with the work being pretty much free and myself unqualified to do the valve adjustment specifically, I'm hoping to make the most of its time at the dealer . I should have gotten some magnetic drain plugs for the tranny and diff (instead of just the oil pan), and asked for them to return the originals, thereby guaranteeing the fluid changes.
The plugs are one time use. So if you really want to check, put the car on ramps before taking it in and use a Sharpie or equivalent to put a tiny mark on the transmission and diff drain and fill plugs. That way you'll have an idea if they're following the book (replacing the plugs), as I suppose they could just reuse the plugs and change the fluids.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

In case of emergency...

Attachment 729189

Last edited by blender; 11-21-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
The plugs are one time use. So if you really want to check, put the car on ramps before taking it in and use a Sharpie or equivalent to put a tiny mark on the transmission and diff drain and fill plugs. That way you'll have an idea if they're following the book (replacing the plugs), as I suppose they could just reuse the plugs and change the fluids.
Excellent suggestion; I had no idea they were one-time use. I'm also not sure where they are located offhand, but will research this and mark them.

Thanks for the background on the beer; makes a lot of sense. I do go out of my way to treat customer service folks (call center people too) like the human beings they are, since it's so tough to imagine dealing with disrespectfully irrational people all day...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

rclem05

Freakin' awesome!

Iphone, NP, I agree, always pays to look at things through other's eyes. A nice 12 pack (I usually go for a sampler, since that way everyone is happy) costs very little, but as they say, it's the thought that counts.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
iPhoneEngineer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Worth noting, they did find that mine was leaking. Happily, they are replacing it under CPO / extended maint. warranty.

So much misinformation from them, though. My SA (new to me, but one of the more experienced ones with supposedly a lot of knowledge about rarer cars like the Z8) insisted that the tranny and diff drain plugs were not one-time use, but I told him I knew that they were and had marked mine to ensure they are replaced. At least they did look it up and confirm they are one-time use. Similar things like telling me the keys "don't have a battery in them, and are recharged by the ignition" -- yes, they are recharged, but obviously there has to be a battery to recharge (and mine are pretty toast).

I was going to have them pull the oil pan off to tighten and loc-tite the oil pump nut just in case it was loosened by my spin on the track in gear, but they quoted 5.7 hours of labor ($1281 total), and so I'm currently planning on risking it. The car did drive another entire day on the track and has seen redline plenty of times without failure yet.

One of the more frustrating things is that I'll probably have to swap my old brake pads back (from before the track event, which had too little left to do the event) in order to get them to do the swap--even though the front rotors are below spec, and my measurement of the rear rotors suggests they are as well (they claim they are still above). Oh well, another loaner car to beat on for next time! (got a nice 335i hardtop convertible with M Sport package this time--the steering wheel is /almost/ as nice as the Z4M's!)

I did do the 12-pack sampler gifting with a $50 bill inside . They have one of the shop foremans assigned to the work, which is really nice.

Last edited by iPhoneEngineer; 08-02-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0