ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Merlin93
The New Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 3.0si Roadster

Garage List
Things to watch out for on older Z4's?

Hey folks,

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2006 Z4 3.0si that I've been looking at, and I was wondering if there is any advice on what to look for while doing my inspection of the vehicle, and what kinds of maintenance things I should be worried about post-purchase?

I do plan to bring the vehicle to a BMW shop to get an inspection done as well, but I probably wouldn't be able to get that done until next week since I've had little luck finding a shop in the SF area open on weekends other than the main dealerships and they're all booked more than a week in advance.

Also what are the prevailing thoughts on extended warranty's? The dealership offers one, but I don't know if there is a better/cheaper way to go for that which is recommended or endorsed by the forum?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Last edited by Merlin93; 06-15-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Other than general condition of the car and mileage, I would look out for two things in particular.

First, it's a convertible so what is the canvas top looking like? Also, although the 2006 and later cars have sealed power top motors, they may still be troublesome if the drains around the motor are blocked and it gets flooded. That can cause the top motor to fail. Make sure your dealer checks that the drains are clear.

Second, the SI has a great engine but there is a glitch in the top end which, for some cars, makes the lifters very noisy on start up until the engine warms up. Folks here say that other than being noisy when cold, this is generally harmless. In most cases, BMW replaced or fixed that under warranty. Ask your dealer to pull the service history of the car to see if that was done. This typically became apparent when the car was very new, so if this car is not exhibiting the problem now, you should be okay.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Oh - one more thing!

Pardon the bad Columbo impression. But 2006 Z4s made before July of that year may have a sticky steering problem. It typically appears in hot weather and folks report that once you open the top or turn on the air conditioning, it goes away. My car was made in June of that year but in the three years I've had the car, the steering has been fine. If this is a concern for you, check that the steering was fixed under warranty if it's a pre-July car, or get one built in July or later.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
You are correct, how ever ever car is different. Mine for example, nothing has fixed the issue except me dealing with it. Its annoying but not something that could be harmful to you or your car.
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataStream18 View Post
You are correct, how ever ever car is different. Mine for example, nothing has fixed the issue except me dealing with it. Its annoying but not something that could be harmful to you or your car.
What issue? Steering? noisy lifters?

I have heard that BMW has fixed the steering at no or minimal cost on out of warranty cars.

Cheers!!

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
KLH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0si

Older Z4's??!! It seems like it was just yesterday that I bought mine........it's already been six years. Time flys when you're having fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Merlin93
The New Guy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Other than general condition of the car and mileage, I would look out for two things in particular.

First, it's a convertible so what is the canvas top looking like? Also, although the 2006 and later cars have sealed power top motors, they may still be troublesome if the drains around the motor are blocked and it gets flooded. That can cause the top motor to fail. Make sure your dealer checks that the drains are clear.

Second, the SI has a great engine but there is a glitch in the top end which, for some cars, makes the lifters very noisy on start up until the engine warms up. Folks here say that other than being noisy when cold, this is generally harmless. In most cases, BMW replaced or fixed that under warranty. Ask your dealer to pull the service history of the car to see if that was done. This typically became apparent when the car was very new, so if this car is not exhibiting the problem now, you should be okay.
The car looks do be in great shape from the pictures but its a bit of a hike to get to so I haven't seen it in person yet (heading out to go look at it in an hour or so.) The car isn't at a BMW dealership, just a generic used car dealer, so I don't know that they have the original service records, but I can ask. If nothing else I may be able to order the service records from the two dealerships listed on the carfax report.

If I do buy the car I'll be bringing it in to my local bmw dealership to have it serviced and such as well.
      06-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Even before you buy this car, your current BMW dealer can access the cars service history through the VIN. That way, you will know in advance if the lifters, steering etc were addressed under the original warranty. My car was imported from the US into Canada and my local dealer here can tell me everything that was done to the car, even though that was in a different country!

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
DataStream18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 ESS TS1 Z4

Garage List
Steering is all I was talking about, my exhaust note covers any other sounds that are there!
TS2/Cat-Less Headers/Jet Hot Coating 2000/CF Engine covers & Oil Cap/RPi Scoop/Matte Black Grills/H&R Sport Springs/15mm Spacers Rear/12mm Spacers Front/Flowmaster 40 series/Alcantara Shift Boot/CF Vinyl wrap/SPEC Stage 2+ clutch/8 Lbs Fly wheel/ZHP Shift knob/Hawk HPS Pads/Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/Performance Pedal Set/Stewart water pump
Love is like a fart; if you have to force it, it's probably shit.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
Merlin93
The New Guy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well folks, thanks a lot for the advice. I took the trip up to take a look, did a careful visual inspection inside and out, and the wife and I both test drove it for about a half hour. The car didn't have any of the issues you guys warned me about (engine starts right up, no lifter knocking, and no issues with sticking steering, even though it was 90 degrees today, and the cloth top operates with no problems.) There were also no error warnings in the indicator lights, no leaks on the ground under the vehicle, no issues with the nav or A/C, and everything seems to be working properly. The body is also very clean, straight, everything lines up, paint is in good shape for its age (very little fading) and the tires all have plenty of tread.

So, given all that I went ahead and took a chance and bought it. I wouldn't normally consider buying a used car without a pre-sale inspection, but the dealer had the car serviced at a 3rd party shop and it came back with a clean bill of health other than needing an oil change, a couple new tires. and some other minor things which they took care of. I drove it home 50 miles as well and it behaved as I expected. Worst case if it ends up not being exactly perfect I can always trade it back in towards my 328 when it arrives in a few months... in the mean time I will have fun.

I still plan to bring it to my local BMW dealer and have them do a full inspection and then take care of any required service, as well as have them install the factory ipod adapter (if I that is still an option, though I have an FM transmitter for a backup until then.) I might also have the dealer update the GPS firmware and maps, though I heard you can also download those and do it yourself, so I'm not sure on that last bit.

In any case, I'll work on posting some pictures and such when I get the chance.

Thanks again!
      06-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Congratulations and welcome to the club!!!

Appreciate 0