ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #23
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I looked at both and one of the factors in my decision had to do with ease of maintenance. I like to do a lot of my own maintenance on my cars and I didn't feel comfortable with the Cayman because of the location of the engine and the inaccessibility of things like spark plugs and other simple engine maintenance. I also heard that Porsche doesn't like to honor warranty claims if you don't have the regular maintenance done by the dealer. I agree though it would be hard not to like either one.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #24
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandysV10 View Post
It's not about how much horsepower, someone will always have more. It's about the feel of the car, the handling, the forgiveness on the track, and yes the raw power. Just had it out "again" on track today, wonder how the guy in the video in the e92 felt having to give a point by, or when I find the clip, the guy in the GT3RS having to give one as well. Not saying by any means the the Z4MC is faster than either car but mine is still pretty much bone stock and is tearing up the track.

The black sedan in the video is a 335i sedan (e90), not a e92 and definitely not a M3 as the video was labeled. Not trying to take anything from you, just wanted to point out the facts.

My buddy and I passed this GT3RS on the Ring. The only thing that meant was the driver in the Porsche wasn't using the car's full potential. The pass happens at 7:00 minute.

I hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings when I'm faster than them on the track. All I'm concerned with is driving my M3. If the guys at HPDEs are chasing people to get a "point by" then they are probably going to crash trying to catch me.

All joking aside, the Z4MC and the Cayman S are awesome cars. I would love to have either one in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 02:54 AM   #25
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Year ago I was considering both of these and got the MC in the end. Main thing was the rareness of the MC and the fact that 2 moms of my friends drive a Cayman S

When it comes to the track the Cayman S gets beating down by the MC pretty bad. However you 'll need to change the suspension and the brakes if you want to participate in track days often, something that I think you wouldn't have to do in the Porsche and you'll also get the Porsche badge with it

Despite of some people opinions I actually like the looks of the Cayman, but if you really want one and you want to drive it on a track, then get the R!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
07Z4Mski
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 328xi Sport Wagon, 07 Z4MR

I also had an E90 as a daily driver... Great car! I like raw feeling cars which are close to being out of warranty or out for fun cars. For weekend fun I prefer cabs but they aren't great for a track car. My favorite car of all time was my 89 911 cab... air cooled and old school. My current Z4MR is a very close second. What I lost in handling with the 911 I made up in power! I had a 2004 911 which I hated... Way too refined and heavy for my taste. My next toy will be another 3.2 G50 911 in coupe form which will be setup for the track. I will keep the M Roadster for weekend fun! Good luck and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #27
udme86m
UDM.E86.M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 MCoupe

It's good to have choices Best of luck with your decision. I had the same choice last year and went with the M. The Cayman S is a blast to drive and very precise but that is exactly why I picked the M - more raw and much more unique. I also read too many forums with Cayman owners having serious engine issues. Of course as you said - this is a zed forum

06 Cayenne S / 07 MCoupe / 01 330CI / 04 K1200GT
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #28
ludedude
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

i have owned Z4MC and driven Cayman PD1 many times.
In my opinion, driving the Z4MC aggressively requires several attempts to figure out what works and what doesn't. The Cayman i found to be very neutral in handling, very easy to drive and tame.

Cayman has more storage space, in front and back.
Interior has nicer layout and more storage than Z4MC.

I prefer the Z4M steering wheel over Cayman steering wheel (i have long fingers).

Hate the Nav in both cars.

Audio sounds a bit better in Cayman than Z4M (premium sound option) but both crappy to begin with.

If for track, I would get Cayman S.
For non-track, get either in cheapest, best condition possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #29
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludedude View Post
i have owned Z4MC and driven Cayman PD1 many times.
In my opinion, driving the Z4MC aggressively requires several attempts to figure out what works and what doesn't. The Cayman i found to be very neutral in handling, very easy to drive and tame.

Cayman has more storage space, in front and back.
Interior has nicer layout and more storage than Z4MC.

I prefer the Z4M steering wheel over Cayman steering wheel (i have long fingers).

Hate the Nav in both cars.

Audio sounds a bit better in Cayman than Z4M (premium sound option) but both crappy to begin with.

If for track, I would get Cayman S.
For non-track, get either in cheapest, best condition possible.
So the Z4MC is better. Got it.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #30
sho-one
MMA fighter and F1 test driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4///M coupe bulletproof

I had a Z4MC, coming from a S2000, coming from a E46M3. Everyone has made very valid points. For me, nothing beats the S54 engine in its delivery and feel. The Z4MC is a very unique and special car and I never ever would of considered a porsche.

However, one day out of the blue I decided to go to the local dealership and test drive one for fun. I test drove a 09 Cayman S with LSD/PASM/PDK, and fell in love. The road feel and the chassis was amazing. It gave you confidence that you knew what the car was doing and the handling was simply telepathic. While a lot more expensive than my Z4Mc, it felt a lot more luxurious, more solid build quality, and for me a little more special having the engine behind you (I'm a huge Ferrari fan and this is as close to as I'll get). If you're in the market, you must get a 09+ Cayman S if you are gonna compare it with the Z4MC, otherwise the base model and 08' can't compare power wise and I wouldn't even consider them.

I never liked how caymans looked in magazine print, but in person they look very sexy indeed.

You just need to drive both and see what fits for you.

Long story short, no intention of buying a car, walked home with a Cayman and traded in the Z4MC. Two days later, got the Z4MC as a loaner and crashed...lol but that's another post.
NOW:08 M.Coupe SMB #102/248 #1669/1815
:|MORRVS8|APEX8|SS.X-pipe|SS.PW.Loop|AFE.intake|Matte.grill|short.ant|Z HP.knob|interior.LED|bulletproof
09 Audi Q5

THEN:96Accord|98Camry|04TSX SC|06 M3|06A4|05Civic Si|05Imprezza|05S2000|08FJ
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #31
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Both great cars. Both very different.

It's really a choice between having lobster or steak.

Two completely different feels, purposes, etc.

Of course, you could save your pennies and get the surf and turf (911).
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 08:40 AM   #32
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I love my Z4MC and even after 4.5+ years of ownership (64K miles) and lots of track events, it still gets my blood pumping and occasionally gives me goose bumps whenever I get behind the wheel after a week or two. That makes it a keeper for me

The handling is very good but a little nervous at the limit. It does not feel as natural as an e46 chassis but it does handle well once you get used to the relatively unique ergonomics and the feel of sitting on the back axle.

It is definitely slower and feels slower than the e92 M3 I drove at an ///M power event. But mine dyno'd close to 300 rwhp with just the Euro headers so its no slouch by any means. And I ran the Texas Mile with it in 2010 - 155.4 mph at the lights - so it will easily get to its governed top speed.

And it has the most alive steering feel of any car I have driven in the last 10 years - just amazing feedback and the typical old school BMW kick back at the wheel on bumps without the bump steer. Just communication and no disruption. Love it!!

My DD is a 2008 Audi TT 3.2 6MT and I simply love that car for what it is not - its not a Z4MC. Its quiet, comfortable, insanely capable on the street (MagneRide dampers, Quattro, aluminum chassis, 150 lbs lighter than my Z4MC), more practical and a nice place to be on a daily basis.

I would throw into the ring for you - a TT Coupe (3.2 if you want a nice all rounder but not super quick) or a TT-S coupe (if you want flappy paddles, a quicker car and lots of mod options) or a TT-RS 6MT if you want a very fast TT for a lot of $$. The TT makes a great car that is primarily a daily driver and sees the occasional HPDE.
Appreciate 0