ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
Wahooz
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Compatibility of VF Superchargers across models

Hi all,
I was surfing fleaBay and came across the following:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E36-E39...kAAOSwVF1aNTRE

Seller says that the kit is interchangeable w/ other models, specifically: "For sale is a VF Engineering Vortech Supercharger in good used condition.Was on a 2000 528i with the 2.8 L but the bracketry and supercharger used are the same design for all of the 2.5, 2.8, and 3.0 L BMW engines.BMW computers are coded so the included computer is not guaranteed to interchange in which case you would need to get a tune done to your factory computer by a local speed shop.The brackets are also the same for the big 3.2 L in the M series cars however the oversized factory intake plenum on that engine will interfere with the supercharger requiring additional parts and extensive modification to work."

Anyone know if this is true and it will in fact fit on an E85 3.0i? Anything else potentially needed to make this work? Thanks in advance-
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahooz View Post
Hi all,

Seller says that the kit is interchangeable w/ other models, specifically: "For sale is a VF Engineering Vortech Supercharger in good used condition.Was on a 2000 528i with the 2.8 L but the bracketry and supercharger used are the same design for all of the 2.5, 2.8, and 3.0 L BMW engines.BMW computers are coded so the included computer is not guaranteed to interchange in which case you would need to get a tune done to your factory computer by a local speed shop.The brackets are also the same for the big 3.2 L in the M series cars however the oversized factory intake plenum on that engine will interfere with the supercharger requiring additional parts and extensive modification to work."

Anyone know if this is true and it will in fact fit on an E85 3.0i? Anything else potentially needed to make this work? Thanks in advance-
Not really sure on the architecture of the S54 compared to the M54 for example.
My honest opinion is they will be different. I could be wrong.
It deserves some more research before committing.

Worth a quick call to VF and ask them?
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
Wahooz
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Not really sure on the architecture of the S54 compared to the M54 for example.
My honest opinion is they will be different. I could be wrong.
It deserves some more research before committing.

Worth a quick call to VF and ask them?
Yep, I think that's probably the best way to determine, although not sure how willing they'd be given that it's a used unit sold by a 3rd party. But, never hurts to ask! Thanks for the response.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahooz View Post
Hi all,

The M52TU and M54 are pretty much the same, save for the improved intake manifold, and Throttle by Wire, and a different management system.

However, the M52TU never came in the Z4.
Appreciate 0