ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordgeist View Post
Finnegan, so I'm confused: you said "X-Pipe plus Eisennmann Sport" is perfect, but you're getting rid of your Eisenmann and replacing it with KKS Titanium exhaust? And keeping the headers (which headers?) and Rogue x pipe?

There's a bewildering array of choices that never seem to produce the same results twice, even on the same car...

Is Eisenmann the better choice for a deeper sound? Or Supersprint?

And Cyclops, I've seen your video before, didn't know it was you. Watched so many YouTube videos at this point lol. It's hard to tell in that video, it sounds deeper, but it also sounds like the camera / mic quality is slightly distorting the sound? Do you have a clip where you're just revving the engine at standstill?

Cause yeah, stock engine just sounds like when I turn my Vitamix on in the morning... I want something with a bit more growl.
Finnegan have more than ONE Z4 MCoupe I don't think he's allowed to touch the one with the "X-Pipe plus Eisennmann Sport"

EXACTLY!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #24
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
X-Pipe plus Eisennmann Sport is perfect. Krissi has this. No drone, not too loud, pops/burbles, excellent. Rogue not Supersprint X-Pipe
Hmmm. I just installed Eisenmann Sports and would like a bit more oomph than they provide vs. stock. Sounds like this might be the ticket.
The xpipe makes big difference. I've run the Eisenmann w/o and it's too tame. The xpipe really adds to it.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #25
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Finnegan, so I'm confused: you said "X-Pipe plus Eisennmann Sport" is perfect, but you're getting rid of your Eisenmann and replacing it with KKS Titanium exhaust? And keeping the headers (which headers?) and Rogue x pipe?

There's a bewildering array of choices that never seem to produce the same results twice, even on the same car...

Is Eisenmann the better choice for a deeper sound? Or Supersprint?

And Cyclops, I've seen your video before, didn't know it was you. Watched so many YouTube videos at this point lol. It's hard to tell in that video, it sounds deeper, but it also sounds like the camera / mic quality is slightly distorting the sound? Do you have a clip where you're just revving the engine at standstill?

Cause yeah, stock engine just sounds like when I turn my Vitamix on in the morning... I want something with a bit more growl.
Finnegan have more than ONE Z4 MCoupe I don't think he's allowed to touch the one with the "X-Pipe plus Eisennmann Sport"
Damn skippy he's not allowed to touch it. He's been trying to convince me I would like something else better (to the point of temporarily switching my pipes out for the titanium ones so he could "polish" the Eisenmann), and I'm having none of it.

NONE OF IT, I TELL YOU!

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #26
Nordgeist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [7.00]
Alright, so I went on a drive to Palomar this weekend---anyone who lives in SoCal should make this their very next drive, it's phenomenal. One of the other Z4Ms there had an RPI exhaust. I asked him about the drone, he said he installed some sound proof padding in the boot (it was a coupe), and that seemed to help a lot in his opinion. I drove it and yeah, the drone wasn't too bad, but it was noticeable. I might go that route though: RPI, sound proof padding, plus a J-pipe? He recommend that as well, and some others I've seen also mention some "custom baffling" that reduces the drone but keeps the bark.

here's a link to the guy with the baffles:

Any thoughts on how feasible this is? Or am I just getting into a potential headache?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #27
TurboDream17
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Coupe

The first time you go through a tunnel with the top down all your worries will be washed away
///M Coupe - Volk TE37's 19x10.5R +22 19x8.5F +30 | KW V3 w/ Clubsport rear springs | RPi exhaust | Autosolutions SSK | RE transmission mounts | RE RSM's | Vibra-Technics engine mounts | RPi scoop | RPi skid plates | Tekarbon spoiler | Apex wheel studs | Blox burnt titanium lug nuts | UUC Front 27mm Swaybarbarian | Status Gruppe adjustable front links | EAS Blacked out kidneys | Full Beisan Vanos Refresh
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:30 PM   #28
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Quote:
... asked him about the drone, he said he installed some sound proof padding in the boot (it was a coupe), and that seemed to help a lot in his opinion. I drove it and yeah, the drone wasn't too bad, but it was noticeable.
I just installed the sound proofing material this weekend. Will let you know in the coming week if it made a difference.
Attached Images

2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter

Last edited by Cyclops; 05-22-2018 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2018, 06:02 AM   #29
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

You install an exhaust to increase the sound, then add sound proofing.

What am I missing.
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      05-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #30
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

What am I missing.
After installing the headers I find that the drone has increased and on longer trips it can be a bit much, especially when you have a passenger.
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #31
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:

What am I missing.
Exactly. If you don't want to hear your own exhaust, I'm sure no one else does either - so why be a nuisance with putting on the unpleasant exhaust to begin with?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #32
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

^Yep. Still love my RE cans.
Drone? Bah!

But I'll grant you it probably sounds different in a coupe than a roadster.
      05-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #33
Nordgeist
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [7.00]
Quote:
Exactly. If you don't want to hear your own exhaust, I'm sure no one else does either - so why be a nuisance with putting on the unpleasant exhaust to begin with?
haha well the idea is to have a great exhaust note when accelerating or revving, not a constant drone that makes it impossible to carry on a conversation with a passenger on road trips or drives around town. This is my DD, it has to be livable and fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #34
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Drone? Bah!

I like my exhaust, but I love my wife.

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 1
wdb4713.50
      05-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #35
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I just installed the sound proofing material this weekend. Will let you know in the coming week if it made a difference.
On my coupe, I ran SS headers with aftermarket exhaust and the drone was too much. I tried sound deadening materials in same spots and it barely made a difference. End of day only thing that made a real difference was swapping out the hardware for different combination of resonators and mufflers.
      06-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #36
TurboDream17
///M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Coupe

Some pics with custom J-pipes (aka Helmholtz chambers/resonators):
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9803375&type=3

Example video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nog5Uu8JY70
///M Coupe - Volk TE37's 19x10.5R +22 19x8.5F +30 | KW V3 w/ Clubsport rear springs | RPi exhaust | Autosolutions SSK | RE transmission mounts | RE RSM's | Vibra-Technics engine mounts | RPi scoop | RPi skid plates | Tekarbon spoiler | Apex wheel studs | Blox burnt titanium lug nuts | UUC Front 27mm Swaybarbarian | Status Gruppe adjustable front links | EAS Blacked out kidneys | Full Beisan Vanos Refresh
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #37
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

RE Diablos....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Drone? Bah!

LOVE my RE Diablos....unsure why, but the drone has subsided since the Apr 2010 install....the sound is perfect - now it sounds like a sports car; just deep cleaned their exterior and waxed them....they look brand new 8+ years later:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sgmuofevz...48H6jb0Ha?dl=0

MZ4 Diablo Features
The RE MZ4 Diablo is made to fit exactly like factory. Features of MZ4 Diablo include:

Weighs only 14.5 lbs. per side, 7.5 lbs. less than the factory muffler! (total savings of 15 lbs.)
100% T-304 stainless steel construction and internals
Fully mandrel bent tubing, no crimps or flattened areas
Mil-finished pipes and muffler, mirror polished stainless steel Rogue Engineering Club Sport quad 80mm tips.
Full TIG welded construction, no lock seams or pinch welds.
Factory-like hangers for OEM fit (no cutting, bending, or welding required)
Rogue Engineering logo tastefully stamped in the body of the muffler
Flow-through design does not create muffler "hot spots" found on chambered mufflers
Optimized tubing sizes and minimized bends maintain exhaust velocity without compromising necessary backpressure
Deep, throaty tone.
Will not change ground clearance
Will not void factory warranty
Will not affect emissions
No permanent modifications required for installation

Last edited by racerbruce; 06-17-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #38
Geoffmiles
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Quote:
Video doesn't tell you how loud it really is since most/all the mic input that does the recordings have auto gain adjustments, which means, it will "normalize" everything so everything will have the same loudness (so it doesn't distort). You'll have to listen to it in person to really judge the volume. Like you, I loved how the SS Race sounded on videos, but I pulled it off in less than a week because it was so obnoxiously loud (at least for me). So, if you're unsure, do it in stages. If you're only doing this for sound, then I would start from the back and do the SS Race first. If you're OK with that, then go to the SS X pipe next. But if you're doing this for performance, then start from the front and do headers first. Be warned - Don't mess with headers and/or the secondary cats (S-pipes) if you don't want any issues with passing smog.

Finding that balanced sound is the most difficult mod since you won't know for sure unless you can find another car with the same set up that you can hear in person. Everyone's tolerance is different. I'm on my 3rd set of cans and still not 100% happy and this is just with the cans! I went from stock to SS Race (too loud) to Remus (too tame - just slightly louder than stock) to my current Eisenmann sport (slightly louder than Remus, but still somewhat tame). I may add an X-pipe someday. That's just my experience. Your miles may varies.

Happy modding.
X-Pipe plus Eisennmann Sport is perfect. Krissi has this. No drone, not too loud, pops/burbles, excellent. Rogue not Supersprint X-Pipe
Looking for an exhaust for my non-m 3.0si. Thoughts on eisenmann and a different brand for the "x" pipe? Rogue doesn't make a non-m version.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #39
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

I have Eisenmann cans on my M. Very nice sound, grown up noise if you will. I was going to do Eisenmann on my 3.0si too if I hadn't sold it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #40
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
I have Eisenmann cans on my M. Very nice sound, grown up noise if you will. I was going to do Eisenmann on my 3.0si too if I hadn't sold it.
Did you go with Sports or Race?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #41
wdb
dances with roads
Rep

Sport. I can't comment on the Race mufflers, haven't heard them.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #42
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffmiles View Post
Looking for an exhaust for my non-m 3.0si. Thoughts on eisenmann and a different brand for the "x" pipe? Rogue doesn't make a non-m version.
3.0si has very limited options. If you’re not going to bother with headers, I would go custom using some high quality parts. You’ll save a lot and get same if not better sound and performance.
      03-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #43
mattfwalters
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC (Sepang/Sepang/insane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
3.0si has very limited options. If you’re not going to bother with headers, I would go custom using some high quality parts. You’ll save a lot and get same if not better sound and performance.
QFT. A nice Magnaflow universal dual-tip muffler with a well-built custom headers-back system will sound great and will also be inexpensive to have built on the car. Check Yelp for the most reputable exhaust shop near to you and go talk to them.
Appreciate 0