ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #23
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

I have Franks tune on my non M supercharged.
His tunes are excellent in my opinion but does get backed up occasionally.

I cannot fault his dedication as he has revised my tune a number of times even after I added different components each year.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #24
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
inTgr8r not only price but as some of these guys above mentioned, TTFS is big talk in M3 forums, or specifically the S54. I've read/heard that TTFS squeezes out the most HP possible, and well the price isn't too bad, however, I do agree with you on your statement on engine management.

That's good to hear dbarton62!
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2421.50
      03-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #25
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 X3 2.5i, '06 z4M, '17 M2

Today I pulled the trigger on the Epic Motorsports Tune Everyone's recommendations and speaking with Randy @ Epic sold me on it. I will be doing the tune at end of March along with the euro headers and VT engine mounts. Can't wait!!

2017 M2 - Camber Hubs, MPE, and some other goodies
2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Eventuri CAI / Euro Headers / Stromung / FA 500 / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Gone, but not forgotten!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #26
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Tell him I said Gday if you chat to him top guy, dropped my tune off with his family on a visit to Dubai.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #27
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

You should probably tell him Sorry from Shane... I've bugged that man way too much. Glad to see another Epic tune out there.
      04-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #28
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I'm just kinda getting into this topic as I know very little of having the ECU tuned. I live in West Central FL, Epic is in Miami. Still a 6 hour drive one way. How difficult is removing the ECU ? How much gain would I get with this tune on my stock '06Z4MR ? Is it about HP or more ? The EPIC website had options, but not specifics.
      04-11-2017, 05:00 AM   #29
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
I'm just kinda getting into this topic as I know very little of having the ECU tuned. I live in West Central FL, Epic is in Miami. Still a 6 hour drive one way. How difficult is removing the ECU ? How much gain would I get with this tune on my stock '06Z4MR ? Is it about HP or more ? The EPIC website had options, but not specifics.
For a completely stock car I'd say no, not worth it. Spend the $$ elsewhere.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 2
JJZ4MR29.00
Vanne1593.00
      04-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #30
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE!

After doing the mods and installing the tune, all I can say is the change is amazing. I always viewed the Z4M as a sort of "Dr, Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" type of car. It can be civilized when required, but will turn into a beast when necessary. The tune along with the headers and VT engine mounts have made this analogy even more relevant.

Now, it is still very subdued when I am driving like a responsible person. It does feel like the power curve has moved up the rpm band ever so slightly, making it even easier to drive like an old man IMO. Unfortunately it has rained nearly every day here so I never got a chance to really give it a stretch after the install, but when I did get a chance to give it the beans, just... It feels properly good, and is even better to drive in a spirited fashion now! Even more exciting with sport on and traction off. Definitely happy with the tune, thanks everyone for your help!

2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Eventuri CAI / Euro Headers / Stromung / FA 500 / AS SSK / Arc 8s
Appreciate 2
inTgr8r2421.50
Vanne1593.00
      04-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #31
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jns_e85 View Post
UPDATE!

After doing the mods and installing the tune, all I can say is the change is amazing. I always viewed the Z4M as a sort of "Dr, Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" type of car. It can be civilized when required, but will turn into a beast when necessary. The tune along with the headers and VT engine mounts have made this analogy even more relevant.

Now, it is still very subdued when I am driving like a responsible person. It does feel like the power curve has moved up the rpm band ever so slightly, making it even easier to drive like an old man IMO. Unfortunately it has rained nearly every day here so I never got a chance to really give it a stretch after the install, but when I did get a chance to give it the beans, just... It feels properly good, and is even better to drive in a spirited fashion now! Even more exciting with sport on and traction off. Definitely happy with the tune, thanks everyone for your help!
jNS hello,

I am happy that the tune worked for you.
Can I ask you if you see any differences on the following:
1) At cold start the car starts the same way as before the tune?
2) What is your idle rpms?
3) Have you noticed a difference on the mile per gallon consumption?
4) Have you seen a difference between driving the car on with sports mode on or off?
5) Do you have a smell of gasoline out the pipes?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #32
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
jNS hello,

I am happy that the tune worked for you.
Can I ask you if you see any differences on the following:
1) At cold start the car starts the same way as before the tune?
2) What is your idle rpms?
3) Have you noticed a difference on the mile per gallon consumption?
4) Have you seen a difference between driving the car on with sports mode on or off?
5) Do you have a smell of gasoline out the pipes?
Sorry about the delay!

1) Cold start is pretty much identical. If anything, it may take an additional half second to crank over, but I'm not 100% if this is accurate

2) Idle still is around 800 to 900 rpm, temperature dependent

3) MPG has decreased, but that's because I get on the power more When I'm driving in old man mode, it has been the same if not a bit better than before I think

4) Definitely. Overall, the car pulls harder when in the power, which is more pronounced with sport on

5) I do occasionally get a whiff of rich exhaust smell when the top is down, since all I have cat wise is a modified US spec section 1, but never gas
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 03:48 AM   #33
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Quote:
Sorry about the delay!

1) Cold start is pretty much identical. If anything, it may take an additional half second to crank over, but I'm not 100% if this is accurate

2) Idle still is around 800 to 900 rpm, temperature dependent

3) MPG has decreased, but that's because I get on the power more When I'm driving in old man mode, it has been the same if not a bit better than before I think

4) Definitely. Overall, the car pulls harder when in the power, which is more pronounced with sport on

5) I do occasionally get a whiff of rich exhaust smell when the top is down, since all I have cat wise is a modified US spec section 1, but never gas
Thank you for your answer.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #34
Csa225
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
Anyone have the TTFS? That's the one I have my eye on.
Frank Smith is bar-none the best s54 tuner around. Owners from Europe send their ECUs in from overseas to have tuned and sent back.

I had the ESS 525 kit with their tune but when I installed my Status Gruppe catless headers and status Gruppe section 2 race cats I.took my car to get tuned on his dyno. Needless to say, he discovered I was running rich or lean at high boost (can't remember which) and missing out on lots of power. Came in at 390 wheel (low for the 525 kit) so he fixed it and left with 460 wheel and 310 torque.

Car drove smoother and better in every way. Going to look into e85 with him soon.

Hes the man.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #35
joenationwide
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csa225 View Post
Frank Smith is bar-none the best s54 tuner around. Owners from Europe send their ECUs in from overseas to have tuned and sent back.

I had the ESS 525 kit with their tune but when I installed my Status Gruppe catless headers and status Gruppe section 2 race cats I.took my car to get tuned on his dyno. Needless to say, he discovered I was running rich or lean at high boost (can't remember which) and missing out on lots of power. Came in at 390 wheel (low for the 525 kit) so he fixed it and left with 460 wheel and 310 torque.

Car drove smoother and better in every way. Going to look into e85 with him soon.

Hes the man.
I just had my stock Z4M Roadster tuned by GTPeace Automotive in Chantilly, VA. They use Frank Smith (TTFS) tunes. Man, it really transformed the car. The throttle response is night and day better. Used to be sluggish, now it responds instantly. Haven't dyno'ed it yet, but it feels like a 20-30whp gain, especially in the midrange area. Totally worth it for a TTFS tune, Frank really knows these engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #36
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Glad to hear that your stock achieved noticeable gains. I had asked a few posts up if it would be worth it and was told NO. It would be great to see dyno #'s before and after.
      06-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #37
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
UPDATE!

When you did the headers, I'm assuming the "modified section 1" was to install the bungs into the exhaust to install the o2 sensors behind the cats? Or was the tune able to eliminate the rear o2 sensors?

dumb question- did you have to have the car tuned on the dyno, or did you send the ECU to reflash (or something else?).

Does the CAI actually gain any HP?

I think as far as I'd want to take my car would be a tune and euro headers
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #38
joenationwide
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4R

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenationwide View Post
I just had my stock Z4M Roadster tuned by GTPeace Automotive in Chantilly, VA. They use Frank Smith (TTFS) tunes. Man, it really transformed the car. The throttle response is night and day better. Used to be sluggish, now it responds instantly. Haven't dyno'ed it yet, but it feels like a 20-30whp gain, especially in the midrange area. Totally worth it for a TTFS tune, Frank really knows these engines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
Glad to hear that your stock achieved noticeable gains. I had asked a few posts up if it would be worth it and was told NO. It would be great to see dyno #'s before and after.
I got my TTFS tune while the car was stock because I was told it will adapt to the exhaust mods once I get them. But I wasn't expecting much of an improvement with the tune on my stock engine. I was definitely surprised with the amount of power and throttle response I gained after getting the tune on the stock motor. It was very noticeable. Maybe other tunes don't have that effect, but Frank Smith's tune sure does.

Can't wait to see how it feels with a header and custom exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #39
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
When you did the headers, I'm assuming the "modified section 1" was to install the bungs into the exhaust to install the o2 sensors behind the cats? Or was the tune able to eliminate the rear o2 sensors?

dumb question- did you have to have the car tuned on the dyno, or did you send the ECU to reflash (or something else?).

Does the CAI actually gain any HP?

I think as far as I'd want to take my car would be a tune and euro headers
Because my car will be subject to emissions, I obtained a modified section one with the o2 bungs and egt welded in the location they would be present on euro cats. Since Illinois only does a readiness test, I needed to keep all o2 sensors installed. The tune maximizes the gains from the headers and CAI. However for emissions purposes, I will reset to factory tune just to be safe.

Not goning to open the "do CAI add or detract power" can of worms. Personally, I have added CAI to my roadsters because of #1 glorious noise they produce and #2 have produced greater fuel efficiency in my experience. Not by much, but when I am getting between 0.5-1.0 additional mpg, I'll take it!

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #40
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One year update!

My first year experience with the Epic tune has been great!

Added bonus, when I took my car in for emissions testing this past fall I figured I would have a go at trying to pass with the tune still loaded. Much to my surprise, it passed!

I have been thoroughly happy with the tune and would recommend Epic to anyone considering a tune!

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:00 PM   #41
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99 Carrera, 99 M3. Sold: Z4MR

Hey all- bumping this thread to see if there's any updates in the market. I'm leaning towards Epic for an Alpha N tune based on the reviews here.

Mods:
-Evolve airbox
-CSL header
-US spec section 1
-Rogue X Pipe

I've ruled out Evolve tune based on member feedback. I'm in Vegas, so we only have 91 octane and it gets HOT, plus I take the car to high elevation (~8000') frequently. You all with the Epic tunes still happy with yours?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:19 PM   #42
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
Hey all- bumping this thread to see if there's any updates in the market. I'm leaning towards Epic for an Alpha N tune based on the reviews here.

Mods:
-Evolve airbox
-CSL header
-US spec section 1
-Rogue X Pipe

I've ruled out Evolve tune based on member feedback. I'm in Vegas, so we only have 91 octane and it gets HOT, plus I take the car to high elevation (~8000') frequently. You all with the Epic tunes still happy with yours?
You can't go wrong with Epic or TTFS, are you looking for an OTS map or a custom map? I beleive TTFS OTS tune starts at $725 and gets up to $1300+ for custom/Alpha N. Epic is $700 for OTS then $1100 for Alpha N+$100 regardless for the cable to upload it. If you're looking for an OTS Alpha N map I highly suggest VF-Engineering. Their software is Alpha N and starts at $795 with the cable. Give them a call they'll probably have you out the door for $600 or less. I ran it on my car for 14000 miles of racing and abuse and the car was reliable, had perfect driveability and never threw a single fault or CEL on top of me taking it to 140 every day and running full e85 for 3-4 months.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #43
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99 Carrera, 99 M3. Sold: Z4MR

I didn’t see an option for an off the shelf tune on Epics site. That said, just based on my past experience from other cars a custom tune is usually worth it so I’m leaning the direction.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #44
Azeka1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 M Coupe

Garage List
RKTunes - $500

In my opinion, this is the best deal out there. Only downside is that their Z4M package does require you to send in your ECU for a bench flash but very quick turnaround (1 business day in my experience).

- Raised Rev Limiter
- No CEL with Headers
- Secondary O2 Sensor Delete
- EGT Delete
- Absolutely No Startup/Idling Issues
- Comes with OBD2 Cable so that you can update the tune later, if required
1995 E36 M3 | BMW CCA Club Racer - IP #34 | Gray / Blue / Orange | 261WHP | 2,700lbs
2013 E92 M3 Competition 6MT Slick Top | AW / Fox Red |
2006 E86 M Coupe | Silver Gray / Imola | JRZ RSTWO | APR Aero | Sparco Seats/Belts | Weichers Cage
Gone: 2017 Audi Q7 | 2011 E93 328i 6MT | 2014 Audi A6 | 2010 VW CC 2.0T | 2011 G37 S Coupe 6MT | 2004 G35 Coupe | SW20 MR2 Widebody Turbo
Appreciate 0