ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Looking for a Z4C 3.0si

Hi there. Completely new to BMWs and developed a fascination with the Z3 coupe several months ago. Fast-forward to now and I've decided the Z4 coupe (3.0si) is the best fit for me in terms of engine, transmission (6MT), economy and aesthetics. I'm on the prowl for a nice example and am mechanically-inclined, so I don't mind something that needs a little work. Usage will be for short commute 2-3 days per week and then weekend canyon-carver.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on any what to look for when viewing the Z4C in general, and the 3.0si in particular? Is it typical/advisable to arrange for a pre-purchase inspection on a used Z4C? Any major gotchas to be aware of?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I saw a pretty nice looking 2007 Montego/Black one on OC craigslist last night. 125,000 miles for $13k. Tempting commuter for sure.
      04-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
PPI is always advised for any BMW, any vehicle I suppose really. With the 3.0si you're getting the N52 engine which has been fairly reliable however there are a few things to look out for: oil filter housing, valve cover gasket, water pump and thermostat (for vehicles with higher mileage), lifter tick, and of course various wear and tear items like bushings and such. Good thing is you're looking for a manual so that helps reliability as does avoiding as many electronic add ons as possible. For mine I looked for non navigation, non power seats and no cold weather package... but ultimately found one without navigation but with everything else.

My one advise is look for extended leather. A lot of guys looked down on the cost of it when new but trust me, as an option on a used vehicle it's nice to have and adds to the premium feel of the vehicle. when I sit in a Z without extended leather now after having it in mine i cant help but notice how the doors feel cheap and down market.
      04-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
PPI is always advised for any BMW, any vehicle I suppose really. With the 3.0si you're getting the N52 engine which has been fairly reliable however there are a few things to look out for: oil filter housing, valve cover gasket, water pump and thermostat (for vehicles with higher mileage), lifter tick, and of course various wear and tear items like bushings and such. Good thing is you're looking for a manual so that helps reliability as does avoiding as many electronic add ons as possible. For mine I looked for non navigation, non power seats and no cold weather package... but ultimately found one without navigation but with everything else.

My one advise is look for extended leather. A lot of guys looked down on the cost of it when new but trust me, as an option on a used vehicle it's nice to have and adds to the premium feel of the vehicle. when I sit in a Z without extended leather now after having it in mine i cant help but notice how the doors feel cheap and down market.
Sounds like you were looking for my exact car. I have the warm weather package with manual seats, leather, and no navigation. With the M sport suspension it's probably the lightest and sportiest si model you could get.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #5
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Probably was... at the time I didn't think I wanted the MSport seats because I was a bit heavier and hadn't liked them in my E46. Now though, after losing some weight and realizing that the stock seats are kind of terrible I wish I'd gotten them. However, coming from anything else the stick seats will probably be fine.