ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-04-2018, 04:19 PM   #23
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Amazing. You can spend 20 each if you want or 60. For a hood strut I could care less if its OEM or not as long as it works like the OEM unit. The price range on FCP is for the same part, from the same manufacturer(Stabilus) just OEM vs non OEM.
Yep! FCP is pretty good about giving 3rd party, OEM, and BMW options when they're available. For stuff that's easy to reach, quick to change I'll usually give the 3rd party a try, more involved I'll go OEM.
      01-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #24
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

On bits like that don't forget to check Amazon and, to a lesser extent, eBay.
Not sure about the front holder-uppers, but after my trunk lid put a dent in my head I got a pair of Magneti Marelli dampers dirt cheap from Amazon.

Edit:
Here's the link for the trunk struts I bought:
Tailgate Trunk Lift Support Damper REAR

Last edited by StickMon; 01-04-2018 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #25
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Sometimes its a bit easier to find things on bmwfans.info. The parts diagrams used are the same between the two sites, but they're bit larger on bmwfans.info. Also, some things you'd think would be body parts BMW considers trim so if you don't see it under bodywork, look under Vehicle Trim. The other tip is that parts aren't always shown attached to other parts and they may be in the diagram in an orientation different than what they are when installed.
You can also do word searches as The Hack suggested using FCP as the prefix. That will get you options from FCP Euro, also a good parts source.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E8...ounting_parts/

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products?key...hood%20support

Yea I tried the bmwfans, I think it was you dc_wright that told me about the site.

Parts I need to replace:
* hood shocks
* trunk shocks (aka trunk struts)
* Steering Angle Sensor, not sure if I should replace the clockspring. I had a clicking sound when turning the wheel to the right. I stopped hearing that clicking sound and ever since then, I have more issues with the airbag lighting up and turn signals not clicking or sticking. Not sure if it's the SAS or clockspring so I may as well replace both
* I've replaced the alarm switch under the hood by the firewall but I continue to have issues with my alarm. It beeps twice when unlocking car but doesn't been once when locking, however, I do hear a thump sound by the right passenger rear panel. Sometimes the emergency lights come on and they don't seem to turn off no matter how many times I lock/unlock the car
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #26
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
Yea I tried the bmwfans, I think it was you dc_wright that told me about the site.

Parts I need to replace:
* hood shocks
* trunk shocks (aka trunk struts)
* Steering Angle Sensor, not sure if I should replace the clockspring. I had a clicking sound when turning the wheel to the right. I stopped hearing that clicking sound and ever since then, I have more issues with the airbag lighting up and turn signals not clicking or sticking. Not sure if it's the SAS or clockspring so I may as well replace both
* I've replaced the alarm switch under the hood by the firewall but I continue to have issues with my alarm. It beeps twice when unlocking car but doesn't been once when locking, however, I do hear a thump sound by the right passenger rear panel. Sometimes the emergency lights come on and they don't seem to turn off no matter how many times I lock/unlock the car
This where the alarm speaker is located. Seems like the controller is trying to signal that the system is armed but it's not getting a correct signal to the speaker.
Usually the issue seen with a bad hood switch is either inability to arm the system because it thinks the hood is open, or random alarms because the switch is opening even when the hood is closed. The 2nd issue is what my car had that was fixed by replacing the hood switch.
      01-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #27
steffenme1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MCoupe

Quote:
It beeps twice when unlocking car but doesn't beep once when locking
Wait... It's supposed to beep?

Guess I found something else wrong with mine as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #28
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

The alarms can be a little wonky. Mine will always beep when unlocking, but only every now and then when I lock the car.

The only way I can get the thing to chirp consistently on locking is, while the car is unlocked, open the trunk lid, lock the doors with the remote key - and then close the trunk.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #29
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
LOL steffenme I don't think you're the only one. I've read in other threads where other peeps had no clue about the one beep when locking.

dc_wright; that's interesting you mention that's where it's located because that was the main point of impact when I crashed. That whole rear panel had to be replaced as it had a big dent. If I replaced the hood switch, my guess is the problem is coming from alarm speaker location. Is this a DIY or will I need to remove the panel? If so, is this something your average DIY'er can do?

Huz-Z; I've noticed that as well. I can only now get my car to beep once when locking only if I have the trunk open.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #30
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Chickdr you're right, prices vary. I even found a few shocks (off google) in the $400 range.

Stickmon; those are the same ones I bought. They're doing the job of holding the trunk open?

This is a serious matter. I remember once meeting a lady, from the looks on her face and the way she spoke, I figured she had suffered a stroke at one point. Well, she told me her story; the trunk had fallen on the back of her head while she was pulling out groceries. Changed her life forever. Moral of the story - keep your trunk/hood shocks in good shape!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #31
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
...Stickmon; those are the same ones I bought. They're doing the job of holding the trunk open?...
Yep. Just went out and checked. They're working great.
And my driveway is on an upslope and I have the under-the-lid pouch kit with nearly 10 lbs of crap in it.

I also listened carefully to the 2 beeps when unlocking and the one beep when locking.
I always thought the speaker was behind the rear bumper cover.
Sure sounds to me like that's where it is.

Realoem just shows it floating disembodied.