ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
Rafoo
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Z4MC reaching 60,000 miles and no inspection 2 called

Hi,

I bought my Z4MC almost a year ago with about 52k miles. It has had Inspection 1 done at 35k miles.

Today, my car is reaching 59.5k miles and is telling me next oil change is in 4k miles but no signs of Inspection 2.

Should I wait for the message to come up or should I go ahead an get it done ? Seems like the valves where not adjusted during inspection 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

It certainly needs the valves checked if it has never been done. The meter is based on gas usage(not miles) so it isn't always at a certain mileage.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
It certainly needs the valves checked if it has never been done. The meter is based on gas usage(not miles) so it isn't always at a certain mileage.
+1.

You can also have the shop add a few more shims here and there to tone it down (if you like) if you're not tracking/driving the car very hard. Will give you a little more bang for your buck in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #4
Rafoo
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Thanks a lot for the advice.

The valves were checked at 30k miles but not adjusted.

I'll get an appointment with my shop then. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

The "by the book" service required and displayed via the indicator alternates between an Oil Service and an Inspection (e.g. when you reset an Oil Service, the next is an Inspection). As mentioned, it is based on fuel consumption but it seems that between 12K and 15K miles is when they come due. Since I change my own oil every 7,500 miles I don't reset the indicator at that time. I just let it run its course and reset when it is down to "0" miles. I do this so I can use the indicator to tell me when my Inspections need to be done.

Is this what other folks are doing? If not, when are you deciding to do your inspections?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Mine is driven so little miles(under 2k/yr) that the last time I had an oil change done at the dealer was when it was under warranty. The next inspection counted down by the display is Inspection I so if I went by the gauge I would not have changed my oil in many years. I do it every 1-2yrs on my own and am using the countdown for the major inspection(I).

OP- if the valves were "checked, but not adjusted" this would indicate to me they were within spec at that time. Unusual for a first valve inspection so it makes me wonder if they were inspected at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

^ I do this too. Seems like OP's wasn't reset at some point. I also think that Inspection 1 at 35k is really late.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafoo View Post
Thanks a lot for the advice.

The valves were checked at 30k miles but not adjusted.

I'll get an appointment with my shop then. Thanks again
Someone likely toggled the Inspection sequence during an Oil Change and skipped an Inspection. I find it very hard to believe the valves were "checked" and not adjusted. There's a glob of gasket sealant on the front of the valve train and vanos cover from the factory on all S54's. If you post a close up pic many here will be able to tell if the cover has ever been off the motor. Right hand corner of the cover adjacent the oil filter housing IIRC. My car is stored so I can't get a pic. The factory sealant was clear.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/08/26/ja...s54b32-engine/
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0