ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #23
se4y
Private
China
Rep
Drives: z4 e85

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproskater View Post
I've been looking for a good setup like this to replace my factory nav system. Do you know if I'd have to replace my stock radio as well? Can I navigate through the menus on the screen with the radio controls (like the stock nav), or is touchscreen only? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #24
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I'm dieing for somebody with top-hifi and nav to try this.
It looks so sexy, and for <$400, wow, but as an Electrical Engineer, I see many possible compatibility issues.

Seems too good to be true, and you know what they say about that.
      02-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #25
theproskater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 ///M3 LMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
It looks so sexy, and for <$400, wow, but as an Electrical Engineer, I see many possible compatibility issues.

That's what I'd like to see too! I'm also wondering if the new unit would fit into the existing oem nav spot on top of the dash. It looks to be about the same size from the pics, but the shape might be slightly different. I can't tell for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #26
se4y
Private
China
Rep

Quote:

I let the dealer try my radio first before "dig the hole". It works better than I expected and made me more confident about the plan.
I think it is more eazy for you to do wiring job first and be sure that you can return the product.
I bought this unit 3 year ago (generationII)and retrofited last year for "generationIII".
It is good value for money and I enjoy it even more than the vehicle.
About top-hifi: It comes from source,signal-amplifier,speakers IMO. The radio on z4 do the amplifier job for this plan.

cheers

Last edited by se4y; 02-10-2014 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #27
se4y
Private
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproskater View Post
That's what I'd like to see too! I'm also wondering if the new unit would fit into the existing oem nav spot on top of the dash. It looks to be about the same size from the pics, but the shape might be slightly different. I can't tell for sure.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #28
Frank851
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '19 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by se4y View Post
I let the dealer try my radio first before "dig the hole". It works better than I expected and made me more confident about the plan.
I think it is more eazy for you to do wiring job first and be sure that you can return the product.
I bought this unit 3 year ago (generationII)and retrofited last year for "generationIII".
It is good value for money and I enjoy it even more than the vehicle.
About top-hifi: It comes from source,signal-amplifier,speakers IMO. The radio on z4 do the amplifier job for this plan.

cheers
Can you provide a link to someone or some company that can supply the "gen III" of this device so I could purchase one for my car? I'd be willing to do a DIY using my vehicle. I do not have factory NAV. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #29
se4y
Private
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank851 View Post
Can you provide a link to someone or some company that can supply the "gen III" of this device so I could purchase one for my car? I'd be willing to do a DIY using my vehicle. I do not have factory NAV. Thanks.
check the inbox
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #30
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank851 View Post

awesome really looking forward to a diy. !

link where you bought it from too
      02-22-2014, 02:14 AM   #31
se4y
Private
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstic View Post
I was toying with this idea last year, but could not get confirmation that the unit fits onto the curve of the dash tightly. Can you post a close up picture of the fitment where the housing sits on the dash to confirm a tight fit? thanks.
There is a hard sponge layer between the "leather face" and the thick plastic layer. Use the paperboard first for simulations and to make it tightness. It is also a little difficult to correct and skiving the skirt of this X3 unit in order to fit to the z4 dashboard curve.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #32
jerij
Registered
Rep
Drives: None

se4y, some of the Ebay items list theirs with links to buy the DVD, CANERAS, and even TV devices. Is this the one that you are using? (ie, the one I want??)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #33
se4y
Private
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerij View Post
se4y, some of the Ebay items list theirs with links to buy the DVD, CANERAS, and even TV devices. Is this the one that you are using? (ie, the one I want??)
http://www.ebay.com.hk/itm/Upgrade-C...e72ff#shpCntId

Only find this one on ebay. No brand.Different interface. no driving recorder ect.
I bought it from dealer in beijing and the brand is forwell. And it must be generationIII not II.(II will not allow you to play music by iphone bluetooth)
I will give you their official webshop use private message.It is chinese.But you can still see all picture and compare ,key word with ebay.
      01-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #34
Pik Masta
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Has anyone else bought and installed this? Would like to see more pics of it. Thinking about getting this for my Z4M
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #35
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Based on my experience retrofitting the OEM nav into my previous Z4, and the fact that this seems to be one of the stand-alone designs, I doubt you could control anything using your radio.

For those who have the factory nav installed, the swap should be a pretty easy process. Just take out the existing nav screen, disconnect the nav-specific part of the OEM harness, and replace your headunit with the non-nav OEM business radio. It's basically a reverse nav retrofit, plus putting this unit in place of the OEM screen.

The only question is, is this unit designed to accept the OEM screen's connection for power, or should you get power to it in some other way?

Also, there is another, IMO better mod which replaces the OEM nav screen (only the LCD) with an Android tablet. It involves a bit more work, but will yield better results due to inherent flexibility of Android and the variety of apps available. You can also repeat the process to upgrade with better hardware as it becomes available.

Edit: Here's an example: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...=56746&start=0
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #36
se4y
Private
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pik Masta View Post
Has anyone else bought and installed this? Would like to see more pics of it. Thinking about getting this for my Z4M
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70558
      02-21-2015, 04:48 AM   #37
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:

A while back I saw this guy with a Z4, not sure if it was an M, and I don't recall which forum it was (or maybe YouTube), where he had the OEM navi and I believe the top-hifi. He somehow removed his screen and replaced it with an android or tablet, it was the exact same size as OEMnavi. It looked really cool and 10x more modern
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #38
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
A while back I saw this guy with a Z4, not sure if it was an M, and I don't recall which forum it was (or maybe YouTube), where he had the OEM navi and I believe the top-hifi. He somehow removed his screen and replaced it with an android or tablet, it was the exact same size as OEMnavi. It looked really cool and 10x more modern
I've dug around different forums looking for various solutions. I haven't really come across a whole lot. Maybe I'll have to hit up youtube.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #39
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
I've dug around different forums looking for various solutions. I haven't really come across a whole lot. Maybe I'll have to hit up youtube.
Now that you mention that, it was a video on YouTube, it wasn't on the forum

Yup, here's the link..

Appreciate 2
      03-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #40
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Thank you for posting this. I will keep looking into all of the information that's out there. My screen overheats in my Moupe and the GPS interface has pretty much seized (although it can still report coordinates and receive data). It will be something that I will replace in the future, along with the rear subs, this may just be a step in the process.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 05:57 AM   #41
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

This is awesome, but if you have the nav, I guess you loose all the other stuff like driving history, setting the stock clock etc..? It would be awesome if all the settings would still be available , then id do this for sure. cudos to you guys for doing it. Yeah the current nav in my Zed is next to useless.