ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #23
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Everything..
      12-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #24
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot91gt View Post
Both of my door lock pins rattle depending on the road I am on. Trying to figure out some kind of solution. Maybe some rubberized ones are on the market somewhere?
This has been bugging me for a year. The lock pin rattles like crazy. If you find something, please share with the forum. I'm going to tear open the panels and see what I can do later this week.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
24000 miles

None - I hunt the bastards down and fix them cause they drive me NUTS - the hardest one to find for a while was my ring ticking on the gear shift knob
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #26
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Built in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #27
acceleration
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
Built in the USA.
Of the 5 BMWs I have owned, the M Coupe has the greatest amount of interior rattles/noises by far. FWIW, the other 4 BMWs were built in Germany.
kaybat125.50
      12-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #28
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceleration View Post
Of the 5 BMWs I have owned, the M Coupe has the greatest amount of interior rattles/noises by far. FWIW, the other 4 BMWs were built in Germany.
Taking one of many variables and declaring it the cause isn't even close to scientific.

Personally don't have any rattles, if I get in German built BMW that has them can I declare superior build quality?

Edit: Also, most trim pieces either snap or have a simple screw that holds them in place, if it is as simple as the "poor U.S. production process" how did they do it wrong and if they did why not just take it apart and put it back together correctly (I guess snap and screw it back together)? With items like the cup holders many just remove them because the design is so poor that they can't assemble them without them rattling.

Last edited by David70; 12-03-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #29
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

David, it was a joke. Relax.

My Z4 M Coupe only have 2 rattles, passenger seat and console between the seats (where the DVD-player is), but they come and go so it's all good.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #30
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acceleration View Post
Too many fisher price plastic panels, very easy to remove and add insulation, it doesn't add weight, BMW just saved time in the creation of the "rawness" lol. I personally removed almost every panel and insulated, as well as added dampening material to both doors. It was a tomb when I told the car.
      12-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #31
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund View Post
David, it was a joke. Relax.

My Z4 M Coupe only have 2 rattles, passenger seat and console between the seats (where the DVD-player is), but they come and go so it's all good.
My rant comes from selling products that take from 300-700 man hours each, one plant in Mexico, on in U.S. Same basic product comes out of both, if it comes from Mexico and there is a problem, cause was Mexican workers, case closed. If it comes from U.S. and there is a problem "we have to figure this out". Drives me crazy.

My opinion is a low skilled worker could install the interior on a well designed car and problem comes from not wanting to spend the money and/or time on well designed parts.
      12-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #32
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

Ummmmm my passenger cup holder and something else on the passenger side is rattling. I really feel like this car was just thrown together as far as quality is concerned because everything I touch squeaks like an old chair.
      01-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #33
DanFromTucson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I'm chasing a horrible rattle that is driving me crazy. It's on the passenger side, and seems to come from the b-pillar or bulkhead. It rattles while I'm cruising or coasting over all different road surfaces. It doesn't happen during acceleration or braking. It's not the pillar cover or door panel, or anything in the battery compartment. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

I'm currently searching for DIYs to take apart all the bulkhead trim but haven't found anything yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 12:50 AM   #34
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
I've got a bad rattle that's developed somewhere in the vicinity of the passenger sun visor ..... but it's not the visor. Appears to be the plastic panel that covers the top of the windshield where the roof latches..... it's driving me crazy
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:15 PM   #35
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I feel lucky with no rattles to date. I had one right under my fixed drivers side window but haven't heard it in a long time. I never heard it enough to actually do anything about it but would have been an easy fix.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 07:04 PM   #36
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
Had one coming from windshield a columm trim piece,pulled the piece and whack-a-moled that...my tops creaks a little, but only in cooler weather.
      02-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #37
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I've got a bad rattle that's developed somewhere in the vicinity of the passenger sun visor ..... but it's not the visor. Appears to be the plastic panel that covers the top of the windshield where the roof latches..... it's driving me crazy
^This
My visors drive me nuts-o-burgers.
      02-01-2017, 06:56 PM   #38
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
^This
My visors drive me nuts-o-burgers.
I've often wondered if the visors rubbing against that plastic cover are causing the creak and rattle. Did you resolve any of this?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #39
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I have extended leather, so it's leather on leather squeak.
I also think that some of it is from glue behind the leather on the bit that goes across the top of the windshield.
It's come loose a couple of times and I've glued it back on. There's air bubbles and old glue all over in there.
As the visor bumps up and down, the glue sticks and unsticks.
Only solutions I've found is put the visors down, or fold a napkin into a little square and put it in just the right place behind the visor.
      02-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #40
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I have extended leather, so it's leather on leather squeak.
I also think that some of it is from glue behind the leather on the bit that goes across the top of the windshield.
It's come loose a couple of times and I've glued it back on. There's air bubbles and old glue all over in there.
As the visor bumps up and down, the glue sticks and unsticks.
Only solutions I've found is put the visors down, or fold a napkin into a little square and put it in just the right place behind the visor.
Wow, so sorry to hear this, sounds like a real PITA. Extended leather looks so good, but I found out years ago with Porches that leather dashes and doors, in the hot climate I live in, tend to come loose/bubble and curl.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #41
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

the visor squeak is one of the easier ones to work on. if you remove the 2 screws that hold each sun visor on, the whole windshield trim comes right off. Theres a ton of open space and plastic on metal contact; stuff as much open space as possible with felt (just rolls of felt from a fabric store, doesn't have to be stick on) and use 3M anti squeak tape anywhere the plastic touches the metal.

https://www.amazon.com/9325-PTFE-UHM...3M+squeak+tape
Appreciate 2