ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Carbon wrapped my A-pillars etc.

Had a TON of free time this weekend for the first time on forever, so I put the time to some good use on my car. I wrapped the A-pillars and center piece in the same carbon wrap as the rest of the interior my car. I think it looks crazy from the outside, you can definitely see it now from the outside and when behind the car. It didn't come out *too* badly, there are a couple little bubbles and wrinkles here and there that I'm going to work on when time permits. I was able to hide most of the imperfections in not so noticeable places, so it's no biggie for now. If you're new to wrapping, I would highly suggest putting this job off until you've wrapped other easier pieces first. The center piece was a massive PITA, took me nearly four hours alone just to do that. I was able to get the weave going in the same direction as the cabin pieces, but unfortunately only able to match the A-pillar weave to the center piece on the driver's side. I wanted to match the weave from both pillars to the center piece, but had to make some sacrifices. Oh well, I guess Mr. Pagani will never hire me. ;D

Anyway, I hope you like it. Bonus pic included for what else I worked on this weekend, which will hopefully be installed this week!

Last edited by NickyC; 08-03-2015 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks nice. I am thinking about putting some black alcantara on my A-Pillars, upper dash, lower dash, upper cantrails (top of the door) and lower cantrails.

With carbon fiber roll bar covers, which are hard to find!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks deemo. I must be honest however, I took the car for its first drive just now and out in the sun I'm not too sure about the look. For some reason, the new pieces just don't seem to look as good as the rest of wrapped interior pieces. *I* know where the imperfections are, and it's all I'm looking at while driving. The car is such a beauty, I don't want other people to see these imperfections and think the car looks tacky.

Next weekend I'm going to tear it all down again (lol, it takes 45 seconds to remove all three pieces) and get to work on the imperfections. If I can't fix them, them I'm just going to remove the wrap and be out the $80 it all cost. The good thing about the wrap is once you get it heated up nicely, you can stretch it just like new. The problem always is however, when you pull from one spot you're pulling from another spot as well so more problems can occur. I just wish these pieces had been easier to wrap!

I do like your idea about the Alcantara however. I think that would be a much better idea for the A-Pillars.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I have my A pillars done in Alcantara, worked out great.
Did them when I ditched the headliner and kept the CF roof exposed on the interior.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I have my A pillars done in Alcantara, worked out great.
Did them when I ditched the headliner and kept the CF roof exposed on the interior.
Sweet! How is the Alcantara material in regards to molding it to fit the piece? My biggest issue with the wrap was transitioning from the Pillar itself to the flat portion which attaches to the center piece and where the visor attaches to. I had to cut the corner a bit and put a patch (yuck) in a very small area. Do they make the Alcantara with a sticky background like the wrap, or do you have to glue it? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

I think the A pillars are a little different on the coupe.
Coupes don't have the plastic trim across the top, that's looked after by the headliner.

My biggest issue was that with headliner out, I had bare metal all he way around to cover in Alcantara.
I'm not 100% satisfied but it's OK until figure out something a little more sophisticated.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I think the A pillars are a little different on the coupe.
Coupes don't have the plastic trim across the top, that's looked after by the headliner.

My biggest issue was that with headliner out, I had bare metal all he way around to cover in Alcantara.
I'm not 100% satisfied but it's OK until figure out something a little more sophisticated.
Oh right, duh. I didn't even bother to think about the pillars being different between the Couple and Roadies. Jeece.

Thanks for the info though, I just hate to settle on something unless I'm 100% happy with the way it looks and I'm not in this instance. Certainly frustrating considering how much time I spent on it. ;D
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Same here! with my upper perimeter trim.
It's back burner for now but I'll definitely have another go at it. .....maybe find a sacrificial headliner to cut up.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
... My biggest issue with the wrap was transitioning from the Pillar itself to the flat portion which attaches to the center piece and where the visor attaches to. ...
I've had to re-glue the leather on my A-pillars and center trim twice now.
The leather in the area you're talking about looks to have been very professionally cut and sewn, and probably squashed in a hot mold.

Not to discourage you.

I'm liking the idea. I'm tired of re-gluing the leather.
Also wondering what's my chance of successfully succeeding.
      08-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #10
DreamTheater
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4

Good effort! I tried wrapping the a pillars and centre piece before, I gave up on the centre piece, very hard to get it right.

I'd like to wrap them in leather or alcantara, I would probably get someone to do it professionally though.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #11
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTheater View Post
Good effort! I tried wrapping the a pillars and centre piece before, I gave up on the centre piece, very hard to get it right.

I'd like to wrap them in leather or alcantara, I would probably get someone to do it professionally though.
Thanks! Center piece is a nightmare, I got it done fairly decently except for some "waves" in the material. Some areas you just had to stretch, there was no other way around it. I'll mess with it again one of these days when I get some free time. ;D
Appreciate 0