ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
TestShoot
I1, I won
United_States
Rep
Drives: E71 M, E60 535i

Thumbs down AirCon recharge with AC Pro

So, like most of you, I realized that on hot days you either fry with the top down or broil with the top up. The AC was just not up to snuff so I went to get it redone, and after a $80 diagnosis that pep boys requires, it was another 150+ to do their flush/recharge. Luckily for me I got the guy to vent it a little and I got a $50 can of AC Pro.

Real simple. Behind the heat shield next to the firewall is that thick line with the cap on it, the Low Pressure line or whatever. Fire up the car, ac on full, fans on full, nothing is coming from my vents, just outside air. Snap the hose fitting on the cap, one pump, look at the pressure to reveal <5psi, and then set the arrows on the dial for the outside air temp. Click trigger, tilt can, release, check gauge, repeat.

I finally got it up to pressure as instructed, closed the doors with the windows up, let it run 5 minutes. It lowered the inside temp about 5 degrees below the temp I thought was weak. I added a little more, but that was the best I could do.

CLIFFS:
1) $50 (plus $10 core charge) AC Pro did not do much for me on a healthy system
2) $80 (req inspection) + $150 at Pep Boys may or may not have been a better choice
3) Or is the AC cooling abyssmal in a Z4?
      07-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I don't understand why you had the guy at pepboys vent it a little? The car needs to have an exact amount of freon put in after it's evacuated. Too much or too little, and it's not going to work very well. Did you think a $50 can would do a better job than professional grade a/c shop equipment?

BTW, my a/c will freeze me out pretty quickly, though I do have a coupe...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
TestShoot
I1, I won
United_States
Rep
Drives: E71 M, E60 535i

In the past with a Volvo I had success with the AC DIY kit.

As for venting, they got ahead of themselves before I approved the work while my buddy was checking to see if he could fit me in. I was told with these newer kits it may take a bit to get working properly and that 15 minutes of run time is not enough.
      07-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestShoot View Post
In the past with a Volvo I had success with the AC DIY kit.

As for venting, they got ahead of themselves before I approved the work while my buddy was checking to see if he could fit me in. I was told with these newer kits it may take a bit to get working properly and that 15 minutes of run time is not enough.
I'm not sure I follow you, but regardless, a overcharged system will not run as cold a system filled with the proper amount of freon. More is not better. Overcharging can even damage the compressor. What temperature is coming out of the vents?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I have a roady, it's been 100+ degrees this past week, and my AC blows ice cold. I don't think there's anything wrong with the AC system in the Z, maybe try taking it somewhere other than pepboys
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
iErik
Z
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, RRS SC

I tried AC Pro on my 06' roadster last spring. Max cool does still freeze me out of the car. A good way to check if it works during the recharge is hold your hand over an open air vent... you will easily feel really cool air streaming out (since the AC is turned to full cool). If the air coming out isn't like an arctic breeze... something is wrong in the system OR make sure that the AC pump is engaged so it actually pumps the added refrigerant properly. A whole large can of AC pro was used for my car.