ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

California Smog

Let's talk tunes and smog in CA...

Is there anyone out there who has catless headers, hasn't relocated the o2 sensors to section 1, AND successfully passed CA smog with only a tune?

Disregard the sniffer test as it no longer applies in CA, but theoretically you would need a tune that both turns down the o2 sensors while still keeping them in a ready state to pass the OBD2 test. I know Evolve and some others are supposed to be able to do this, but I'm hoping to get some conclusive feedback from you guys.

The tune that can do this gets my money

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdedric View Post
Let's talk tunes and smog in CA...

Is there anyone out there who has catless headers, hasn't relocated the o2 sensors to section 1, AND successfully passed CA smog with only a tune?

Disregard the sniffer test as it no longer applies in CA, but theoretically you would need a tune that both turns down the o2 sensors while still keeping them in a ready state to pass the OBD2 test. I know Evolve and some others are supposed to be able to do this, but I'm hoping to get some conclusive feedback from you guys.

The tune that can do this gets my money
I just passed smog last week WITH relocated sensors. The reason I mention it, is because they still did the sniffer (and I barely passed it).

So not sure if shops just aren't aware or what but I'd confirm that you'll be able to smog somewhere without doing the sniffer.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
I just passed smog last week WITH relocated sensors. The reason I mention it, is because they still did the sniffer (and I barely passed it).

So not sure if shops just aren't aware or what but I'd confirm that you'll be able to smog somewhere without doing the sniffer.
Interesting. I know whatever bill it was they passed was due to take effect "Summer 2013." I'm not due for smog until at least mid-2014, but I'm trying to plan ahead.

Are you running a tune?

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I know whatever bill it was they passed was due to take effect "Summer 2013." I'm not due for smog until at least mid-2014, but I'm trying to plan ahead.

Are you running a tune?
At the time of the smog, no. I was stock with just a proper header install.

I am now though.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I need smog test in a month. My car is running Euro header cat. Will update the thread with results.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #6
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Did you do the test with the new box installed? Wondering if they said anything on the visual.
      10-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalutis View Post
Did you do the test with the new box installed? Wondering if they said anything on the visual.
No, I had stock intake at the time. Airbox and tune happened the following weekend.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

I need to smog in a couple of weeks as well. I'm ESS supercharged and running catless header and stock S pipe. I would not want to have to revert the mods. Is there a chance I can pass the sniffer and readiness tests? Do they still do visual? The manifold and compressor are kinda hard to hide.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerZ32 View Post
I need to smog in a couple of weeks as well. I'm ESS supercharged and running catless header and stock S pipe. I would not want to have to revert the mods. Is there a chance I can pass the sniffer and readiness tests? Do they still do visual? The manifold and compressor are kinda hard to hide.
Did you modify your section 1 (o2 and egt sensors) to prevent SES or did you tune it out?

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
MPowerZ32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Did you modify your section 1 (o2 and egt sensors) to prevent SES or did you tune it out?
I have AA's catless header. I didn't move O2 and egt. The ESS tune removed the SES.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have AA's catless header. I didn't move O2 and egt. The ESS tune removed the SES.
Please report back whether or not the ESS tune allows you to pass. Assuming they miss the blower

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #12
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure they just marked your sensors as "not ready". It's like telling your car you don't have the sensors so there's no reason to trigger the SES.

If that's the case, you definitely won't pass smog.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:

Great information to have.

If they're doing the sniffer they're doing a visual--at least I'd bet they would.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #14
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan
Quote:

Great information to have.

If they're doing the sniffer they're doing a visual--at least I'd bet they would.
He definitely popped the hood and was looking around in there. He dropped to the ground and took a peek below the car as well.

Luckily, he didn't say anything about my headers missing a set of cats.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #15
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He definitely popped the hood and was looking around in there. He dropped to the ground and took a peek below the car as well.

Luckily, he didn't say anything about my headers missing a set of cats.
This is why--especially in CA--Euro headers are a pretty good idea. They look stock (well, are stock in fact).
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Had mine done a month ago and was told by the tech that the state accepts both inspection methods so that all authorized smog inspection stations can be accommodated dependent on the equipment they have. The state does not require an inspection station to purchase the new OBD2 analysis instruments. The tech also mentioned that the shop owner wasn't considering purchasing the OBD2 instrument due to the additional cost and his current setup was working fine for both non and OBD2 cars. Prior to having mine done I called around and didn't find anyone local with the new system.
      10-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

^ Which means this OBDII readiness approach is of limited application.

The irony of "the sniffer" is that while a car with mods might pass the tailpipe test it's a no go if it fails the visual.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Had mine done a month ago and was told by the tech that the state accepts both inspection methods so that all authorized smog inspection stations can be accommodated dependent on the equipment they have. The state does not require an inspection station to purchase the new OBD2 analysis instruments. The tech also mentioned that the shop owner wasn't considering purchasing the OBD2 instrument due to the additional cost and his current setup was working fine for both non and OBD2 cars. Prior to having mine done I called around and didn't find anyone local with the new system.
So does this mean as long as my car passes the sniffer test and no CEL/codes are showing, I'd be good to go at one of the "old method" shops?

I'm not sure what the current process is, so if someone could school me that would be much appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

He is a link that should help us understand the new rules.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...arProgram.html
      10-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
So does this mean as long as my car passes the sniffer test and no CEL/codes are showing, I'd be good to go at one of the "old method" shops?

I'm not sure what the current process is, so if someone could school me that would be much appreciated.
There are 3 parts to the typical (old) smog. Visual, Emissions (sniffer) and Functional (CEL and readiness flags).

Visual -Some shops will miss things or won't bother. I wouldn't count on them not finding something though
Emissions - Sniffer test. Self explanitory
Functional - Here's the issue you're going to run into. If you install headers and don't relocate the 02 sensors, you're going to get a CEL (will fail smog). You can resolve CEL by setting certain flags to "Not Ready" (will fail smog).

Tuning off the CEL by marking flags "Not Ready" is so that you don't have a nagging light telling you that the car can't find a sensor that you know isn't there. It's also so that if you get a "real" code, you'll know ASAP (hard to tell if the light is on 24/7). But what it won't do is help you pass smog.

Bottom Line: If you want to pass the Functional part of smog with headers, you'll need to get your section 1 done properly or "find a guy". Maybe there's a tune out there that could fix this but I'm not aware of it. It would need to remove cell and keep all the readiness flags to "ready".

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are 3 parts to the typical (old) smog. Visual, Emissions (sniffer) and Functional (CEL and readiness flags).

Visual -Some shops will miss things or won't bother. I wouldn't count on them not finding something though
Emissions - Sniffer test. Self explanitory
Functional - Here's the issue you're going to run into. If you install headers and don't relocate the 02 sensors, you're going to get a CEL (will fail smog). You can resolve CEL by setting certain flags to "Not Ready" (will fail smog).

Tuning off the CEL by marking flags "Not Ready" is so that you don't have a nagging light telling you that the car can't find a sensor that you know isn't there. It's also so that if you get a "real" code, you'll know ASAP (hard to tell if the light is on 24/7). But what it won't do is help you pass smog.

Bottom Line: If you want to pass the Functional part of smog with headers, you'll need to get your section 1 done properly or "find a guy". Maybe there's a tune out there that could fix this but I'm not aware of it. It would need to remove cell and keep all the readiness flags to "ready".
Perfect explanation, sir!

Since I don't want to modify my OEM section 1 if at all possible, I suppose I'll just email all of the tuners and see what their methods are.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #22
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Perfect explanation, sir!

Since I don't want to modify my OEM section 1 if at all possible, I suppose I'll just email all of the tuners and see what their methods are.
Good luck.

Also check out http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882703 for more info.

You may just want to pick up an OEM Euro Section 1 that doesn't require modification (was already designed to run with catless headers) or buy someones already modified section 1 (There's a few members here that may have a set for sale).

Appreciate 0