ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #243
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
It looks like the Porsche US site uses stripped weight (no options, which is pretty rare for a Porsche), whereas the EU weight has to be based on commonly sold configuration. Porsche seems to have a much bigger weight discrepancy than BMW when comparing the US and EU weights. The EU weight method is much more comparable between manufacturers (due to stricter measurement criteria).

In the end it comes down to measuring a given car with it's specific options, but it seems as though the weight difference between the Z4M and Boxster is not as big as the US weights would indicate, based on the more strictly controlled EU weight measurements (which includes 75kg load, but only 90% fuel tank fill), and that it would be difficult to find a Boxster configuration under 3,000 lbs with a full tank of fuel.
I read somewhere, don't remember where, that in the U.S. Porsche lists the weight of their cars "dry," meaning that there are no oil, fuel, coolant, nor passengers in the car.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #244
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

If this is the case, and BMW does not do the same, it certainly makes things hard to compare. All manufacturers should be posting weights in a similar manner(full fluids, etc) Options can't make that much of a weight difference(stereo, wheels, leather) in cars like the Boxster, but if the tank is dry this certainly gives it an edge.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #245
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I read somewhere, don't remember where, that in the U.S. Porsche lists the weight of their cars "dry," meaning that there are no oil, fuel, coolant, nor passengers in the car.
I've read that as well. The European sites are more accurate because it's supposedly mandated that they weigh all cars the same. Over here, BMW uses the same numbers as overseas, which apparently include all fluids and a 75kg driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #246
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
I've read that as well. The European sites are more accurate because it's supposedly mandated that they weigh all cars the same. Over here, BMW uses the same numbers as overseas, which apparently include all fluids and a 75kg driver.
Thought it also included luggage? That might just be me making up stuff, though.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #247
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
The cayman S is flat out probably the best driver's car in the world, and certainly one of the best sports car ever made while BMW could barely (and most at large discounts) sell 10,000 z4ms.
Err, you know the two cars have comparable sales volumes, right? If you compare Z4M sales to Cayman/Boxster S sales, the cars had similar volumes. If you include non-S sales, the Porsche has more but an argument could be made for including non-M sales and then BMW Z4 wins.

And speaking from direct experience - Porsche was discounting the Cayman S the same time (2007) BMW discounted the Z4MC; I was offered $12k off on one when I was cross-shopping the two.

The Cayman is more popular in the press, but that's more about general appeal than anything. The Cayman is a big-budget production, where the Z3 and Z4 M cars are more like an indie production financed by a large studio.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #248
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

I love reading this thread. So many contrasting ideas, that somehow are all satisfied with the z4m.