ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

low coolant sign constantly

Hi,
Wanted to know if someone could figure out this mystery for me.
I will explain the whole story.

2 weeks ago, I turned on my car in the morning to drop it off at the shop for some work. Car was in the garage for a week. When I started the car, left idling for 5 min, and when I start to back up, I notice little coolant on the floor and then I notice low coolant sign on my dash. So I stopped, opened my hood, and I see coolant leaking from the cap.
I turn off the car, open the cap and fill up a little just to go to the shop. Explained to him what happened and left home. Next day, he shows me a picture with a puddle...the whole coolant leaked. Then he found out the heater core was bad. As I wanted to go so bad to laguna seca 2 days later, I told him to just by pass and flush it. He does the by pass, but he didnt flush, instead he just added coolant back in.
As I am driving to the track, after 2 hours in the highway, I see the low coolant sign again...so I stopped and added maybe a small cup of distiled water, and also checked for any leaks but I couldnt find any. The lights turn off and I go back on the highway......everything was perfect...my temperature was never high or anything, and after 4 hours driving, I get low coolant sign again....i stop again, look for leaks, and nothing again, so I just added water again and left the car parked at the track overnight....the next day, I go inspect it, and I see zero leaks and no sign of low coolant....I tracked the whole day and then drove 6 hours home and no sign of low coolant....so I guessed that I had air in the system, and since its a self bleeding system, as air came out, water was getting low, and that everything was good again.

1 week after, I turn on the car to take it to the shop again, and guess what? Low coolant sign and this time, zero leak on the floor or anywhere else....I add coolant and go to the shop, and explained to him the whole story.
We changed the coolant reservoir, some hoses, and the mechanic told me that hes checking pressure before closing the shop, but the weird thing is that when he checks again next morning, the pressure is higher than the night before....thats not suppose to happen right? When he removes the cap next morning, there is pressure there somehow and when he opens the cap, coolant comes out from the cap even though car was stationary all night.

He told me he checked for cracks or water in the engine oil, and nothing....what could be happening to my car????
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I seen coolant filled expansion tank when there are air in coolant system. Mechanic did not mentioned he bleed the system after changing the hoses.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
I seen coolant filled expansion tank when there are air in coolant system. Mechanic did not mentioned he bleed the system after changing the hoses.
Yea. I told him to bleed this time after replacing the reservoir.
Will also change the level sensor to see
      07-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

There's an incantation you need to perform to properly bleed it.
From this thread:

Remove the reservoir cap and loosen the vent screw.
Turn the ignition on (but do NOT start the engine).

Turn heater temp knob all the way to hottest, then set fan to slowest speed (defeat the auto mode and AC). This will open the heater core and thermostat.

Press and hold accelerator pedal all the way down for 10 seconds. This will start the electric water pump's "vent" mode. It will turn off and on for short intervals for about the next 8 minutes.

As soon as the vent screw starts to burp coolant tighten it shut. As the pump turns off and on continue to top off the resevior with fresh water.
      07-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

The S54 does not use an electric water pump.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Shows you what I know.
I assumed the incantation activated #4 here.
      07-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for the tips.
I will test this weekend.
Replaced few stuff and hopefully it?s fixed. Sending oil sample also to black stone to make sure I don?t have water in the engine.
Btw The HACK you up for ach this weekend? Going to the coffee place and then come back.
      07-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Can't, family in town from Virginia. Maybe I'll sneak out befor sunrise with a motorcycle buddy to Newcombs for b'fast, but I need tombs back home by 9:00am at the latest.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0