ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-04-2017, 02:49 AM   #1
acer54
Rep
Drives: Z4

Jap Import Z4 Sat Nav

I have just bought a newly imported Z4 from Japan, I've managed to get the flip up sat nav screen changed to English and the world radio frequencies switched to Europe without any issues.
I thought the sat nav would be just a case of using a European dvd to the replace the Japanese dvd - I was wrong!!!
When I look for the dvd drive I find that a HDD PC Card system is fitted (see attached photo's)
What are my options to get a working European mapping system to replace the Japanese mapping?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 04:29 AM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Is there a PC card inside? can you take some pics of that? very interesting, never seen that before.

edit:just spent the last 20 mins looking on google.. looks like its got a 20GB HD inside.. thats about all i found out though. :/

Last edited by Vanne; 07-04-2017 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 07:14 AM   #3
acer54
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Is there a PC card inside? can you take some pics of that? very interesting, never seen that before.

edit:just spent the last 20 mins looking on google.. looks like its got a 20GB HD inside.. thats about all i found out though. :/
Their is a PC Card inside the drive, I assume it's 20GB in size, I will remove it from the drive and take some pic's when I have an opportunity.
From what I've read today the whole system is incompatible with European navigation and satellites, probably cost mega bucks to convert it.
Will have to use my TomTom unless anybody knows how to use or convert it for not big bucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Navi system is so outdated and useless I wouldn't bother updating. If anything it makes it cooler having Japanese map data lol
      07-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

+1

is the back of the unit the same as the DVD back of the normal unit?
      07-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
acer54
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
+1

is the back of the unit the same as the DVD back of the normal unit?
No it has different connectors, and I have a feeling the gps antenna is different as well........
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Assuming EU maps aren't available on your system, the only way I can think of to get the OEM setup working is to replace the Japanese unit with an MKIV. The Japanese unit however seems to have a different connector setup in the back so you'll have to also change the harness, which means the interior parts will have to come off, and depending on where the nav computer is placed right now (looks like somewhere in the trunk area) the MKIV harness might be too short (OEM MKIV placement is in the storage unit between the seats).

Having done both an OEM nav retrofit and more recently an android tablet integration into the OEM dash screen, I'd recommend the latter. The OEM nav is very outdated and won't be of much use anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
acer54
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
Assuming EU maps aren't available on your system, the only way I can think of to get the OEM setup working is to replace the Japanese unit with an MKIV. The Japanese unit however seems to have a different connector setup in the back so you'll have to also change the harness, which means the interior parts will have to come off, and depending on where the nav computer is placed right now (looks like somewhere in the trunk area) the MKIV harness might be too short (OEM MKIV placement is in the storage unit between the seats).

Having done both an OEM nav retrofit and more recently an android tablet integration into the OEM dash screen, I'd recommend the latter. The OEM nav is very outdated and won't be of much use anyway.
The connectors are quite a bit different so cobbling the loom will be in order, my unit is actually in between the seats so wiring should be long enough, I'm thinking more and more that I will just use my windscreen mounted TomTom and not bother with the Jap navigation hardware.
If I could retrofit a TomTom into the flip up screen on top of the dash that would be good but you also use the same screen to alter settings and it's used by the radio, minidisc and cd stacker so do not know if it's even possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer54 View Post
The connectors are quite a bit different so cobbling the loom will be in order, my unit is actually in between the seats so wiring should be long enough, I'm thinking more and more that I will just use my windscreen mounted TomTom and not bother with the Jap navigation hardware.
If I could retrofit a TomTom into the flip up screen on top of the dash that would be good but you also use the same screen to alter settings and it's used by the radio, minidisc and cd stacker so do not know if it's even possible.
Depends on how much work you're willing to put into it but at least with the android retrofit option you can have OEM controls etc. on the screen (not sure what kind of input your TomTom accepts). See page 6 in this thread: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...56746&start=75

Overall if you're happy with just having a portable nav unit on the side, I'd say spare yourself the trouble.
Appreciate 0