ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
danlauz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: z4m 2007+x5 2009+330 cic 2003

Bad quality of Z4M mags.

As all of you know. its very easy to have some chips go away on theses wheels. is there a "touch up" available on some kind of stores for theses wheels ? another question. does some persons purshased a touch up from a cmpany that is NOT the OEM bmw one ? we see sometimes on Bimmer or Rundell that others company sells something that do better job. any experience with these(s) company ?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
You may be able to find a wheel shop that does entire wheel refinishing. A local shop here does it for $125/wheel and it is BMW paint as well. Far cheaper than replacing the entire wheel set.
      05-31-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Bavarian autosport is selling a wheel repair kit. Comes with putty, sand paper, silver wheel paint and clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Call your local car detailing shop and ask for a recommendation on wheel repair/refinishing. It's a pretty common mobile business here in LA.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlauz View Post
As all of you know. its very easy to have some chips go away on theses wheels. is there a "touch up" available on some kind of stores for theses wheels ? another question. does some persons purshased a touch up from a cmpany that is NOT the OEM bmw one ? we see sometimes on Bimmer or Rundell that others company sells something that do better job. any experience with these(s) company ?

thanks
The problem with the wheels seems to be two fold:

1. Curve on the spokes is just the wrong angle to be vulnerable to rocks hitting them (all the chips I had on my wheels were on the face that travels forward as the wheel rotates).

2. Top coat and primer on the wheels doesn't seem to adhere well to the undercoat, which seems to be powder coat. It took the guy who soda blasted my wheels several times longer to strip the undercoat than the top and clear coat.

If you can't get the dealer to replace the wheels (the new ones will likely chip just as easily), I would powder coat them. I like how mine turned out with a semi-gloss gunmetal finish (doesn't show the brake dust). $50 per wheel for soda blasting, $75 per wheel for powder coating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0