ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
ausherpharmd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Gray Ford Fusion

What's a decent price for tire installation?

I am expecting my tires from tirerack.com in the next 2 - 3 days and was wondering what you think I should pay for the installation, wheel balancing, alignment (whatever is needed when you put on new tires). Went to PepBoys and they quoted almost $250 for that. Seems high to me but I don't know anything really.

I decided on the Hancook Ventus tires. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausherpharmd View Post
I am expecting my tires from tirerack.com in the next 2 - 3 days and was wondering what you think I should pay for the installation, wheel balancing, alignment (whatever is needed when you put on new tires). Went to PepBoys and they quoted almost $250 for that. Seems high to me but I don't know anything really.

Gotta give us more info on what that $250 included.

Tire Rack has a button on their homepage which gives you info on local Tire Rack installers and their prices...use that.

Chris
      06-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
Up to $25 per wheel for tire mounting and balancing.

$100-150 for four-wheel thrust alignment.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
DocRiSK
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Garage List
I paid $165 recently to have the TPMS units removed from my old wheels added to the new wheels, mounting, balancing, and alignment. They were the authoized tire rack installers.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
ausherpharmd
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks a lot. I didn't notice that before but I see it on my email invoice now.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

DUDE!

Strongly recommend NOT taking your car to Pep Boys. Ever. Unless you want Spinners installed too...in which case you should put your keys in an envelope and mail them back to BMW. Or me.

Kidding aside, do your car a huge favor and find a reputable tire shop. Ask your local BMWCCA rep for a recommendation if all else fails.

You want installation, balancing and a four wheel alignment. expect to spend about two hours and around $150-200. You should have some numbers in mind for the alignment guy because the factory alignment specs on a Z4M are calibrated for avoiding lawsuits, not for making the car handle great. Search the Suspension thread for a bunch of alignment recommendations. Look up my post on alignment and corner balancing if you want a starting point. A little research and planning and you can make the car handle 25-30% better than stock. Recommend you pull the alignment pins too while you're at it.

Tell them NOT to scratch your new wheels and make sure they properly torque your lug nuts [spec is 88 ft-lb for Z4M]. Most shops just spin them on with an impact wrench and nobody knows the difference. Too much torque =bad. Too little=really, really bad.

For peace of mind, torque them yourself again after driving them for a few hours.

Last bit of unsolicited advice: wax your new wheels with wheel wax before you mount them - it will never be easier and they'll never be cleaner than when you take them out of the box.

<end of ranting>

Good luck!

RC

Last edited by blender; 06-04-2010 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
depends on size but assuming 18s, i'd pay upto $35/tire if the place is that damn good, ie guarantees no scratching rims, torques everything by hand, etc. alignment really isn't necessary unless you messed with the suspension or hit a pothole real hard but i've heard prices of around $125 for our cars by an indy shop.
      06-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
lstratos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRiSK View Post
I paid $165 recently to have the TPMS units removed from my old wheels added to the new wheels, mounting, balancing, and alignment. They were the authoized tire rack installers.
Do you need it removed or you just want it removed ? ill eventually need to get new tires and was wondering if I dont get run flats, do I just put new tires over the TPMS units ?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Z3Z4MC
Private
Rep

$250 is fair for 4 wheels mounting & balancing and alignment....from a reputable shop. I wouldn't pay PepBoy that kind of money for their service. Not even sure I would bring my minivan there for servicing, let alone my Z4MC.
      06-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
ausherpharmd
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the help. I'll do a little more research before I take it in. The reason I went to Pep Boys was because I went to 4 other places here and all told me the only place that could order those tires was Pepboys; other companies sold similar tires, but double the price, and if they weren't double the price they were no-name tires that I just didn't trust since I hadn't heard of them on this forum or any other. I figured if the price was similar I would get the tires there. Well, their wait was 5 - 7 days. I got my tires from tirerack in 3 days (less than 24 hours after shipping) for $100 less.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #11
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I have been researching tire installers as mine are due for replacement as well. I recently had a flat fixed locally and they scarred the rim for about 8". I was determined to find someone (at any reasonable cost) that would dismount, mount and balance my new tires and do a good job with zero wheel damage.

I first looked at the local BMW dealer but they will not mount and balance any tire they do not sell and after they were well short of TireRack or Tischer BMW price on the tires I looked elsewhere. I posted on some local forums to find different places and while several people had roadforce balancers, many were shy about the smooth rounded outter part of our wheels. Apparently it is pretty easy to damage.

So today I called a BMW/MB/Porsche indy a little over an hour away and believe I have found my shop choice. They are a TireRack recommended installer so I can buy online and just have them shipped direct which is obviously a good thing considering I have one vehicle and it is a M Roadster. They also have what seems to be top notch equipment. A Corghi Artiglio Master tire machine and Hunter GSP9700 road force balancer.

Prices are $35/tire + $2 for disposal + $2 valve stem. While it seems to be on the upper end I am more than willing to pay it for what i expect to be flawless service.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Z4MC View Post
$250 is fair for 4 wheels mounting & balancing and alignment....from a reputable shop. I wouldn't pay PepBoy that kind of money for their service. Not even sure I would bring my minivan there for servicing, let alone my Z4MC.
+1, my local Dinan shop does it for around $250.
      06-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I'd be curious to see if your ride changes. At least 2 folks on the bimmerfest forum have noticed the ride isn't as "go cart like". I'm considering these as well as the Conti Extreme DWs.
      06-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #14
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Z4MC View Post
Oh boy. I think your minivan should have definitely made your sig pic.

I had my runflats taken off, new tires on, mounted and balanced for about $140 at the BMW dealership here.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #15
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for all the help. I'll do a little more research before I take it in. The reason I went to Pep Boys was because I went to 4 other places here and all told me the only place that could order those tires was Pepboys; other companies sold similar tires, but double the price, and if they weren't double the price they were no-name tires that I just didn't trust since I hadn't heard of them on this forum or any other. I figured if the price was similar I would get the tires there. Well, their wait was 5 - 7 days. I got my tires from tirerack in 3 days (less than 24 hours after shipping) for $100 less.
There is a little banner up top that says "TireRack". Great service, phenominal prices and good selection. I highly reccommend using their services
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
DocRiSK
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstratos View Post
Do you need it removed or you just want it removed ? ill eventually need to get new tires and was wondering if I dont get run flats, do I just put new tires over the TPMS units ?
I wanted them removed and placed on the new wheels since I didn't want to spend about $400 on a new set of TPMS units. You would want the TPMS with or without runflats... it's a good safety feature to have.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #17
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

+1 on the TPMS. This is the first car I've had with it. You know those times when your on a unfamiliar road and the car is pulling and the thought of a flat tire jumps in your head. Well it's happened to me a few times and I'm like, OH crap is my tire low, or flat, or is it the road? I remember I have the TPMS and realize everything is peachy, just a overly crowned road.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
lstratos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I'd be curious to see if your ride changes. At least 2 folks on the bimmerfest forum have noticed the ride isn't as "go cart like". I'm considering these as well as the Conti Extreme DWs.
I have the DWS on my tsx, i like them better than oem michelins. Its probably my first choice for my next set of z4 tires.. unless something better comes along..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #19
ausherpharmd
Private
United_States
Rep

This is what I did because frankly I don't know anything about cars and like to drive my MCoupe and be seen in it, but am not particularly interested in the intricacies. :-S I took it to the only Tire Rack Price Pledge Plus installer in the area (It was a Tire Kingdom). They treated me very good - very good. I went to a bunch of tire places over the past week and many of them were mean and unhelpful, possibly because I was asking about a tire they didn't sell.

In any case, it was done for half the price Pep Boys quoted me. As soon as I said Tire Rack, they pulled out the special discounted fees, added them up and had me out within 2 hours. It was a pleasure dealing with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #20
ausherpharmd
Private
United_States
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post

I'll start by saying that I am telling you how my tires feel completely from my point of view and I could be totally off. That's my disclaimer. You are right in that the gocart feel isn't there. The Hancook Ventus V12s are, I think, a little louder. To me the ride really isn't a whole lot different. I've skidded around a corner here or there and like the way it feels. I also have piece of mind just knowing that I have good tires because I've been putting off buying new ones for 6 months or longer and was always worried they would disintegrate on the highway or something.

The ride is a little softer. For instance, with the original tires, every bump, no matter the size was greeted with a "thud". I expect and brace for the thud, but now there's no thud, which I like. The car still handles great and feels great.

Like I mentioned before, the only negative I've had so far was that it is a bit louder so the bluetooth is near useless if you're going over 45 mph. I'm very happy with them, especially with the cost savings I achieved. BMW wanted $695 to replace 1 tire (the one with a little gash in the sidewall). The Tire Rack thing went so well and was so easy that I really am overjoyed with the whole experience.
Appreciate 0