ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i E85 Roadster

MP3 Player And Sound System

I have a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i. Is there some way to create an AUX input for a MP3 player?? Also, does anyone have this issue....I'll have Stereo on and while I'm driving I get great sound. But when I start to slow down to a stop, the volume goes way down....Ideas, Suggestions??

Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Vet68 View Post
I have a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i. Is there some way to create an AUX input for a MP3 player?? Also, does anyone have this issue....I'll have Stereo on and while I'm driving I get great sound. But when I start to slow down to a stop, the volume goes way down....Ideas, Suggestions??

Thank You.
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES194789/?g...FWVp7AodZyIAAA

The volume adjusts itself based on your speed so that you don't have to turn the volume up when you're at speed. To adjust the amount of compensation, press and hold the musical note button on the left of the radio until "SPEED VOL" appears on the screen. You can then use the buttons to the right of the 5/6 button (2 dashes) to adjust up or down. In your case, you would want to go with a lower number.

Last edited by JPWEraser; 01-17-2015 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OK, now I understand. I thought there was a short somewhere located in the stereo. Silly me. Also thank you for the tip on the AUX for a mp3 player. I called "Cruchfield" yesterday, and they wanted to sell me item that was 260.00, plus the instillation which would bring it above 300.00 dollars. I knew that was a load of BS, thus is why I asked the question here. About the "Stereo", I have gone through that option and all I saw was some-type of Jazz setting, (Which is the clearest sound of all the choices) and a "Church" option, and then a "Tone In" option which I have no idea what that is or dose....
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, now I understand. I thought there was a short somewhere located in the stereo. Silly me. Also thank you for the tip on the AUX for a mp3 player. I called "Cruchfield" yesterday, and they wanted to sell me item that was 260.00, plus the instillation which would bring it above 300.00 dollars. I knew that was a load of BS, thus is why I asked the question here. About the "Stereo", I have gone through that option and all I saw was some-type of Jazz setting, (Which is the clearest sound of all the choices) and a "Church" option, and then a "Tone In" option which I have no idea what that is or dose....
Make sure you're pressing and HOLDING the musical note button to get to the speed volume setting. The aux input I linked you to earlier is easy to install, there is a good write up here:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79747

Another good source to get the part from:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462

Looks like it's back ordered everywhere. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #5
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you Very much for those links. I have been watching YouTube and it looks to be about the same. I finally found what you were speaking of about the "Speed Volume". It was at 6, so I lowered it to 2. I suppose that will keep the volume at the same level. At least now I understand how that works...

Thank You Again.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
I finally found what you were speaking of about the "Speed Volume". It was at 6, so I lowered it to 2. I suppose that will keep the volume at the same level. At least now I understand how that works...
Now that you know what and where it is, tweak it but don't dismiss it until you've experimented a bit. It is actually a very convenient feature in a roadster (didn't go back mid-post to see what you drive) as the road/wind noise at speed vis-à-vis the relative silence at a stoplight would otherwise require constant volume adjustments.
      01-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have decided against getting the mp3 add-on. I have been told that it could very well mess up the sound system.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have decided against getting the mp3 add-on. I have been told that it could very well mess up the sound system.
Not sure who is giving you this advice but it is an OEM accessory... I have one in my car as many many many others do with zero issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
Not sure who is giving you this advice but it is an OEM accessory... I have one in my car as many many many others do with zero issues.
+1
Absolutely no reason it would "mess up" your sound system, unless the installer wantonly disconnected/cut wires and harnesses during the install.
Though my E85 has it factory installed, I installed the kit in my E46 and have had no problems for several years.
Your making a decision based on inaccurate advice.
      01-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

With all due respect, have two done your homework on a 03 Z4 3.0i Premium Sound System?? If you have not, please do not talk of what you do not know. If you have, go ahead and print your source and what it states. You don't think I don't want a AUX so that I can use ipod instead of loading "Single CD's". First and foremost understand BMW is not known for their "Sound Systems". So go ahead and gleam that info first.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

BMW doesn't actually make their "sound systems". An aux jack could never ever, never ever, never never ever screw it up. It's like saying headphones will ruin an iPod.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
With all due respect, have two done your homework on a 03 Z4 3.0i Premium Sound System?? If you have not, please do not talk of what you do not know.
Suit yourself . . . and good luck here . . . you've certainly made a noteworthy first impression.
      01-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was told by BMW and Bavsound that the year of my Z4 was kinda "Tricky" to use it. But what I'm hearing from everyone here is that their out of their minds. I'm looking at one that can be used in the "Ash tray of the car. Any other suggestions on certain devices that will work the best??
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #14
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With all due respect, have two done your homework on a 03 Z4 3.0i Premium Sound System?? If you have not, please do not talk of what you do not know. If you have, go ahead and print your source and what it states. You don't think I don't want a AUX so that I can use ipod instead of loading "Single CD's". First and foremost understand BMW is not known for their "Sound Systems". So go ahead and gleam that info first.
Quote:
I was told by BMW and Bavsound that the year of my Z4 was kinda "Tricky" to use it. But what I'm hearing from everyone here is that their out of their minds. I'm looking at one that can be used in the "Ash tray of the car. Any other suggestions on certain devices that will work the best??
The link I gave you early on in this thread is an aux input accessory that is made by BMW specifically for your car. I am not sure why the credible people at Bavsound would steer you in a different direction other than to sell you a whole setup for a lot more money than ~$80. Also, the part is on backorder so they can't sell it to you right now - maybe that's why they're steering you in another direction?

On a side note; do yourself a favor and don't bash people on here especially when they are trying to help you.

If you needed some kind of confirmation... here is the very same unit on Tischer BMW's site...

https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462

And from Turner...

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...-30si-z4m.aspx

And Bavauto...

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...tYGRoClZLw_wcB

I wish you the best of luck in your aux input journey - taking this thread off of my subscription list.

Edit:
Oh, and one more thing:

Last edited by JPWEraser; 01-22-2015 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
On a side note; do yourself a favor and don't bash people on here especially when they are trying to help you.
<snip>
I wish you the best of luck in your aux input journey - taking this thread off of my subscription list.
Bravo for taking the high road JPW . . . you're a better man than I.
      01-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #16
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

First off thank you for your help. Second, where did I "Bash" anyone in this thread??
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #17
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Mr. Dennit: Ricky, your little obscene gesture is going to cost you 100 points. Do you know how much that costs us in sponsorship dollars?

Ricky: With all due respect, Mr. Dennit, I had no idea you'd gotten experimental surgery to have your balls removed.

Mr. Dennit: What did you just say to me?

Ricky: What? I said it with all due respect!

Mr. Dennit: Just because you say that doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want to say to me!

Ricky: It sure as hell does!

Mr. Dennit: No, it doesn't--

Ricky: It's in the Geneva Conventions, look it up!

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

I know I'm pretty new around here but......that right there was funny.
Appreciate 0