ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

Pre-hpde questions (summit point)

So after a summer of learning the car and getting use to its quirks, I have signed up for my first hpde at summit point on the 7th. This will be my first time at any track, and I certainly am going in with no expectations of my capabilities, nor those of the m coupes. I plan to take it very easy and simple just listen to the instructor to get a feel for the car more then I can on the road. Is there anything else I should consider about the day? Advice? Thoughts?

I appreciate any feedback at all
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

id say just have fun, and try to not get dragged into a race
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88
id say just have fun, and try to not get dragged into a race
Good point! Thanks!

I've got all my supplies packed and ready, I flushed my brake lines about 150 miles ago and topped off oil and brake fluid last night. Should I raise my car up more?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

i suppose you could, but do you already rub? when i go to the track (though its been a while) i just stiffen up the suspension. I dont know how it is over there in the east coast but it would also be a good idea to bring a jug of water and maybe a folding chair if you can fit it. did you flush out the radiator?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88
i suppose you could, but do you already rub? when i go to the track (though its been a while) i just stiffen up the suspension. I dont know how it is over there in the east coast but it would also be a good idea to bring a jug of water and maybe a folding chair if you can fit it. did you flush out the radiator?
I rubbed some in the rear and then firmed everything up. Probably wouldn't hurt to tighten up alittle more, and then adjust accordingly maybe after a run or 2. I've got water and coolant prepared and a friend bring up chairs in a larger car but I haven't flushed the radiator, thanks for letting me know. Great Any recommendation on tire pressure? They are Toyo r888s
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You are WAY overthinking it. I've instructed hundreds of noobies at a dozen tracks, and the ones I have most trouble with are the ones that have their head full of "stuff." Be it worrying about how their car is going to handle the track, if they set their tire pressure right, have they gotten the right shock settings...etc.

The ones that have the most fun and learn the quickest, are the ones that show up in a car that require zero prep work, ready to go from session one, with zero expectations of their own skills.

The reason why this is so, is because there's literally a data overload on the first few events. There's so much information that comes at you at such a high speed that involves all your senses, plus all the processing your brain needs to do with all that info, that the vast majority of people gets overwhelmed and their brain shut down. They go into vapor lock and stop listening and processing.

My suggestion? Stop worrying. Go. Have fun. Clear your head of everything that's been troubling you for the last week. Set the car up the week BEFORE the event and forget it. Don't worry about anything, as long as your wheels are torqued, your oil level is fine, your coolant level is fine, and your tires are holding pressure before, you're good. Process all that stuff that happens at the DE after.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You are WAY overthinking it. I've instructed hundreds of noobies at a dozen tracks, and the ones I have most trouble with are the ones that have their head full of "stuff." Be it worrying about how their car is going to handle the track, if they set their tire pressure right, have they gotten the right shock settings...etc.

The ones that have the most fun and learn the quickest, are the ones that show up in a car that require zero prep work, ready to go from session one, with zero expectations of their own skills.

The reason why this is so, is because there's literally a data overload on the first few events. There's so much information that comes at you at such a high speed that involves all your senses, plus all the processing your brain needs to do with all that info, that the vast majority of people gets overwhelmed and their brain shut down. They go into vapor lock and stop listening and processing.

My suggestion? Stop worrying. Go. Have fun. Clear your head of everything that's been troubling you for the last week. Set the car up the week BEFORE the event and forget it. Don't worry about anything, as long as your wheels are torqued, your oil level is fine, your coolant level is fine, and your tires are holding pressure before, you're good. Process all that stuff that happens at the DE after.
Best advice you'll ever see.

Can't recall being more mentally tired than after my first few events. Lots of fun though!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK

Great advice!
Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #9
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

+Million what Hack Said.

As well, leave your ego at the gate when you enter. Don't try to go out there and play hero. Some people will be faster than you, just don't let it get to your head. That is how bad things happen
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Summit is a blast, one of my favorite tracks. As long as you have enough meat on your pads/tires and have fresh fluids you’ll be fine. It’ll be cold this weekend so add 2-3 more psi than you normally would but after that, just leave it alone. You can monitor pressures and see tire wear over the day but for your first time out shouldn’t be a real concern.Get to know the track, learn the line, get familiar with flag stations and your turn in reference points. Listen to your instructor and make sure to hit driver’s meeting and any classroom sessions.

Only stuff/tools I’d bring:

Torque wrench
Pressure gauge
Painters Tape (cover the headlights, # on door)
Bottles of water
Lawn chair (if it’s too cold you can wait inside your car or the classroom)

Don’t worry about lap times or chasing down other cars. Just keep the visor down and look out for the flags (groundhogs, turtles and every once in a while deer make their way on track). Yet despite all that I’ll still go back every year!

For lunch, hit up Rail Side market. Forgot which direction it is (left or right coming out of track) but if you don't see it within the first 2 mins you went the wrong way. I think it's a right coming out but they have the best sandwiches for dirt cheap.