ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-27-2016, 05:18 AM   #1
FusionX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Question E85 - covertible stuck on latch when closing

My top goes down perfectly fine. But when I want to put it back up, it appears to be getting stuck on the center latches behind the rear of the seat. The electric motor works fine. I can use my finger to help lift up the convertible top to get it going. You hear a "popping" sound when it finally releases. Then the top continues to travel all the way up back into the windshield and secures itself under its own power.

I added a ton of grease into and around both the rear seat center latch and a latch that the convertible top also has in the center. They are supposed to meet together. The grease helped A LOT and the unit is now able to move under it's own power, but it still "sticks" and makes an audible pop as the mechanisms releases to allow the top to travel. Because of this, I am 99% fairly certain that the issue lays with the area pictured in my screenshot.

Looking closer at where the two latches connect (attached screenshot), I assume that the latch on the convertible top part is somehow possibly off center. Meaning the entire convertible top is off center.

I raised the top about halfway and there is a ton of slack on the convertible top. You can grab it, shake it, sway it, and wiggle it. Lot of play. But when fully closed or open there is no play.

How do I align the convertible tops latch to the back of the seat latch? Not even sure of this would resolved the issue. The picture reflects both latches just about to close completely (to go into convertible mode). It does secure itself further down if I continue holding down the button to put the top down. I just stopped it in this position for reference. Seems that the convertible latch portion is more toward the right.

I'm thinking about "jamming" a doorstop in somewhere into the body to possibly push the entire top a few millimeters more toward the left.

Anyone know alternate ways to align the center latches or what to look at?

I also looked at the microswitch, parcel shelf, and the release strings and they appear to be positioned perfectly normal.

I am experiencing no slowdowns with the movement once it retracts from the windshield. Also no problems after I get it "unstuck" when closing the top.

Finally I tried wiggling the convertible top's latch (second picture) where the four screws are, and it has no play. Very secure.

Really appreciate the help guys! - BMW wasn't interested in what I had to say and said $2700 to do the job including replacing both motors.

PS - please excuse the scotch tape. The teeth to the cover of the electric motor are missing and I just use tape to stop the rattle lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by FusionX; 10-27-2016 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I'm sure someone here should have an idea or three.

Is it possible that some previous owner removed the entire folding roof mechanism at some point - like to maybe replace a failed roof motor - and didn't properly align the roof when re-installing it?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0