ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
JasonH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe, 2003 M3 Vert

Question GoPro Mounting

I recently got a GoPro and I've been reading up on various mounting options. I've received a couple of these Smartbolts which Bavauto says can be used for GoPro Mounting. Has anybody tried this? I don't really see how it's supposed to attach using the regular mounts in the motorsport kit.

Also, I'm interested in seeing photos of how others have their GoPro mounted, both inside and outside.

Thanks,
Jason
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
JasonH
Private First Class
Rep

I just had a chance to play around with the Smartbolt and I now know it really won't work for the Z4. The bolt is simply too short and it disappears inside the bumper cover, especially in the front. I'm not sure why Bavauto has it listed for the Z4 M. I'll be returning it ASAP.

I was trying to get the same result that dubbedown has with his Rennline mount but without spending the money. I'll guess I'll be calling Rennline tomorrow .

I did just find this CravenSpeed tow hook mount but I'm unsure of how long it is. I guess if they use the same piece as in the tow hook kit it would probably be long enough. Anybody know how long the Rennline piece is?

Also, I definitely want to place a mount on the center console behind/between the seats. Any tips on how high to place it? Seems like the top of the stack would be too high, and I've seen a few that are mounted on the front above the storage door, I'm just not sure how high to place it.

Thanks,
Jason
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Take a look at these videos and see my different mounting places.

Right side of the mirror/Left fender

On top of the hood, right above the roundel

Top of windshield

All done with the suction mount. You can easily put the gopro on the rear hatch glass to get a cockpit view.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

I have mine mounted with double back tape on the top of the console between the seats. Works ok. It's nice to see the hands working. The one problem I have is with exposure. Because the Gopro has automatic exposure it opens up the aperture because of the dark interior in the car and then the track is washed out. If tried filters and using "spot" mode which helps but still not great. Hears some video from a very wet track day.

CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Have the same problem, you can get really nice shots when mounting it into the air ducts, but I would like to have some cabin shots as well. I tried the rear window (from inside ofc) but that's way too deep in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Give this thread a look...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710380
      07-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
To run the GoPro from inside you must change a couple of settings. I cant remember just off the top of my head and my buddy has the unit right now.

This video is from inside the car.

Last edited by Shipkiller; 07-06-2012 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Just can't seem to get Youtube to work for me..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
JasonH
Private First Class
Rep

As Barryb97 mentioned above, I've read to use it inside switch to spot metering so it adjusts exposure for the light outside and not inside. Otherwise you end up with the cockpit at the proper exposure and the view through the windshield overexposed.

What resolution does everybody generally use? 1080p/30fps? I could see using 720p/60fps to better capture motion. Anybody use the 127º field of view when shooting from the interior?

Thanks Karacticus, I definitely got some ideas from your thread. I might try to make my own wind stopper before I buy one. I also have an external microphone which I might use inside the car which could probably use a wind stopper as well. I've already ordered a polarizing filter.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The video from inside the car is 720p. 1080p files sizes are just too large and the picture quality is the same for what most of us want to do with them. Your eye will tell you...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonH View Post
I just had a chance to play around with the Smartbolt and I now know it really won't work for the Z4. The bolt is simply too short and it disappears inside the bumper cover, especially in the front. I'm not sure why Bavauto has it listed for the Z4 M. I'll be returning it ASAP.

I was trying to get the same result that dubbedown has with his Rennline mount but without spending the money. I'll guess I'll be calling Rennline tomorrow .

I did just find this CravenSpeed tow hook mount but I'm unsure of how long it is. I guess if they use the same piece as in the tow hook kit it would probably be long enough. Anybody know how long the Rennline piece is?

Also, I definitely want to place a mount on the center console behind/between the seats. Any tips on how high to place it? Seems like the top of the stack would be too high, and I've seen a few that are mounted on the front above the storage door, I'm just not sure how high to place it.

Thanks,
Jason
I've been more and more focused on the interior so if anyone wants, I'll let my Rennline mount go for a discount. If you buy the remote bacpac for the GoPro, that'd make things pretty convenient.

The only thing is that you might need a few extra washers since I lost a couple but I'm sure Rennline will sell for cheap or you can hit up a local hardware store.
      07-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

I'm using the r5 setting, which is full 1080p and the 127 degree FOV.

I'll concur that I don't need the 1080p, but I prefer the narrow FOV as it seems much less distorted-- looks to me much more like what I'm seeing.

IIRC, I also get some vignetting at the 170 degree FOV when installed in the grill location.
      07-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

I really like Dubbedown's idea and went with it. I think you otta take him up on his deal. Instead of using a bunch of washers, I was able to go to a hardware store and pick up a 1" spacer for a buck or two. That eliminated a bunch of washers. I still needed some washers so that the camera would be vertical when tightened down but it works great. I use it on road trips when I get to some scenic areas. I like it.
Attached Images

07-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karacticus View Post
I'm using the r5 setting, which is full 1080p and the 127 degree FOV.

I'll concur that I don't need the 1080p, but I prefer the narrow FOV as it seems much less distorted-- looks to me much more like what I'm seeing.

IIRC, I also get some vignetting at the 170 degree FOV when installed in the grill location.
Interesting, I was thinking about changing mine to 720p to get the 60fps but I didn't consider the wider fov may be less beneficial. I plan on running this in the interior and in the 1080p setting, I thought it covered enough. Anything more might detract from the subject ahead.