ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #23
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
Mine is also a 2006 (03/06) M roadster and I received that same letter. I'm just not sure what sensor or issue they're referring to. I don't think I have it on my car.
This is what I don't understand. Mine is 6/06 build. No letter for me. The person I spoke with is supposed to be "studying" my VIN to find out why mine would not be included when other 06 M's are.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #24
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Mine's 02/06.
Maybe the problem is only with born-on dates prior to somewhere between 03/06 and 06/06.
      09-13-2014, 12:55 AM   #25
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
This is what I don't understand. Mine is 6/06 build. No letter for me. The person I spoke with is supposed to be "studying" my VIN to find out why mine would not be included when other 06 M's are.
That's odd. Do you have any issues with the airbag light or you're just curious as to why your VIN isn't included?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #26
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
That's odd. Do you have any issues with the airbag light or you're just curious as to why your VIN isn't included?
No issues, I would just like the coverage out to 2021 in case something happens over the next few years. The way car companies do these things makes no sense sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #27
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update: After checking again with BMWUSA I was told my VIN does not fall into the covered range. I guess only "some" 2006 M Roadsters are covered. Seems strange to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #28
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Update: After checking again with BMWUSA I was told my VIN does not fall into the covered range. I guess only "some" 2006 M Roadsters are covered. Seems strange to me.
Sadly, I'm in the same boat with my June 2006 SI. Not that this is any comfort for you I'm sure.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #29
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Sadly, I'm in the same boat with my June 2006 SI. Not that this is any comfort for you I'm sure.
I guess this makes more sense as mine is also a 6/06 build. Maybe the issue was solved by then?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #30
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
I guess this makes more sense as mine is also a 6/06 build. Maybe the issue was solved by then?
I don't think so; here's why.

I bought my car in August 2009 from a dealer in Florida when it still had a year left on the original three-year warranty. The guys there were literally loading the car on the truck to send it to me in Canada when the airbag light came on. The car was delayed several weeks getting to me while the local dealer waited for a replacement part to arrive and be installed under the warranty.

So, my car, built on 27 June 2006, did have the issue. I wonder if folks who's cars had this done under the original warranty are not included because the part that was installed then is a revised version that is not expected to fail. If you did not buy your car new, is it possible that the previous owner had this addressed?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #31
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Apparently neither of mine are included. Really wish the ZHP was. I've replaced the mat twice in the last three years and the light is starting to come on intermittently gain. German quality! Woo!
I got the letter for my ZHP - 2006, what year is yours?
      09-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #32
TennesseeZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i; six speed manual

Takata Airbag Recall

All, a couple of weeks ago there was an article in the WSJ about the Takata airbag company and the story related the communication to OEM's relative to any potential airbag failures. Here is a link the NTSB site that has the pertinent information that has been made available to the manufactures: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owne...akata-air-bags

You might also want to go back to the WSJ archives and look for the Takata statements and story. There is a good bit that is involved in the findings, as it relates to Takata and OEM communication. May not solve all the issues here, but does provide some good base line data.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #33
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ4 View Post
All, a couple of weeks ago there was an article in the WSJ about the Takata airbag company and the story related the communication to OEM's relative to any potential airbag failures. Here is a link the NTSB site that has the pertinent information that has been made available to the manufactures: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owne...akata-air-bags

You might also want to go back to the WSJ archives and look for the Takata statements and story. There is a good bit that is involved in the findings, as it relates to Takata and OEM communication. May not solve all the issues here, but does provide some good base line data.
Interestingly, the Takata letter references airbag inflator defects and says nothing about the seat mat which is the subject of the letter to Z4 owners.

Here is what Takata said in their letter to the NTSHA:

Takata would support regional campaigns to replace PSDI and PSDI-4 inflators (which are used in driver-side air bags) manufactured between January 1, 2004 and June 30, 2007, as well as to replace PSPI, PSPI-L and SPI inflators (which are used in passenger-side air bags) manufactured between the start of production in June 2000 and July 31, 2004.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:50 PM   #34
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I got an different letter from BMW NA today:
Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC.

We received your repair reimbursement request under Supplemental Restraint System's (SRS) front passenger air bag seat occupancy sensor (OC3) mat Limited Warranty Extension.

The following information is required in order to continue our review:
  • Proof of Payment. Copy of the canceled check, signed credit card slip or credit card statement. If your repair was paid by cash, please provide a letter from the repair facility on their company letterhead verifying the amount paid by cash and signed by the manager. Please do not submit a duplicate copy of your invoice as proof-of-payment.
  • Detailed and itemized repair order/invoice from the servicing dealer.

Please provide your reimbursement request preference 140xxxx on all of your paperwork and mail or fax copies to:

BMW Customer Reimbursement Center
[PO Box and Fax number]

Should you require further assistance, please contact the bmw Customer Reimbursement Center at [phone number].

Sincerely,

BMW of North America, LLC

The weird thing is I didn't submit a repair reimbursement request nor did I have this work performed (no recall letter). If I didn't submit this, who did? I'll be calling them tomorrow.

A similar thing happened with regards to my wife's car about a month or so ago. We got a call from BMW, something about a warranty reimbursement, along with a name and a call back number. I called and they had no idea what I was calling about. There was no one by that name in that department and they couldn't find any reason why someone would have called us. No one has called back. Around that time her front bumper got resprayed under warranty due to paint chipping off the M Sport front bumper in a complex location, after being approved by some regional BMW person. This was all handled by the dealer so I have no idea why BMW would be contacting us about this.

Update: I called the BMW Reimbursement Center just now and they say that someone submitted an online claim in my name on August 29. I didn't do this, because I never received a recall letter since my VIN was not included in this recall and thus I had no information on how to submit a claim online.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 10-01-2014 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #35
sinbad2222
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
I suggest you call and make a record of the issue, with your current address.
Called BMW customer relations.
Not helpful.
They inputted our VIN No and stated no recall advisory for the number.
So I have an early 2006 Z4 3.0i with airbag lights permanently on and an attitude of "don't know about the problem - take it to a dealer" despite the numerous owners that have suffered this defect and which they must be aware of.
Love the car so much but this will be our last BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #36
M-Power M3
Retrograde
Rep
Drives: Bagged Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
I got an different letter from BMW NA today:
Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC.

We received your repair reimbursement request under Supplemental Restraint System's (SRS) front passenger air bag seat occupancy sensor (OC3) mat Limited Warranty Extension.

The following information is required in order to continue our review:
  • Proof of Payment. Copy of the canceled check, signed credit card slip or credit card statement. If your repair was paid by cash, please provide a letter from the repair facility on their company letterhead verifying the amount paid by cash and signed by the manager. Please do not submit a duplicate copy of your invoice as proof-of-payment.
  • Detailed and itemized repair order/invoice from the servicing dealer.

Please provide your reimbursement request preference 140xxxx on all of your paperwork and mail or fax copies to:

BMW Customer Reimbursement Center
[PO Box and Fax number]

Should you require further assistance, please contact the bmw Customer Reimbursement Center at [phone number].

Sincerely,

BMW of North America, LLC

The weird thing is I didn't submit a repair reimbursement request nor did I have this work performed (no recall letter). If I didn't submit this, who did? I'll be calling them tomorrow.

A similar thing happened with regards to my wife's car about a month or so ago. We got a call from BMW, something about a warranty reimbursement, along with a name and a call back number. I called and they had no idea what I was calling about. There was no one by that name in that department and they couldn't find any reason why someone would have called us. No one has called back. Around that time her front bumper got resprayed under warranty due to paint chipping off the M Sport front bumper in a complex location, after being approved by some regional BMW person. This was all handled by the dealer so I have no idea why BMW would be contacting us about this.

Update: I called the BMW Reimbursement Center just now and they say that someone submitted an online claim in my name on August 29. I didn't do this, because I never received a recall letter since my VIN was not included in this recall and thus I had no information on how to submit a claim online.
Sounds like a dealership/shop is being shady...

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #37
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Passenger occupancy sensor and airbag light just started for me today. My car is an '07 M with a build date of 12/06. Any new information on this issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #38
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I recommend calling the 800 number and telling them your light is on. I suspect they will cover it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:34 AM   #39
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I recommend calling the 800 number and telling them your light is on. I suspect they will cover it.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #40
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just spoke with BWM USA customer relations. Rep told me I wasn't covered. How they can randomly pick and choose who gets this extended coverage is beyond me. If their database shows who has the defective sensor mat and who has another manufacturers sensor mat, the bottom line is still a safety part failure on either account. This is pure bullshit. Going to the dealer tomorrow to raise hell about this
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #41
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
When I checked my VIN, it provided me with the contact information for the former owner of my car. I'm sure BMW isn't aware that it is giving out home addresses of former owners. I was curious why the former owner sold the car. Now I know. A quick Google search led me to his obituary.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #42
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Just spoke with BWM USA customer relations. Rep told me I wasn't covered. How they can randomly pick and choose who gets this extended coverage is beyond me. If their database shows who has the defective sensor mat and who has another manufacturers sensor mat, the bottom line is still a safety part failure on either account. This is pure bullshit. Going to the dealer tomorrow to raise hell about this
Makes no sense at all. This type of thing should be covered for longer than the standard warranty - especially with the Takata stuff going on now.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #43
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Makes no sense at all. This type of thing should be covered for longer than the standard warranty - especially with the Takata stuff going on now.
I agree. I've read that NHTSA says BMW is honoring extended warranties for 2006 and 2007 Z4s
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #44
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I agree. I've read that NHTSA says BMW is honoring extended warranties for 2006 and 2007 Z4s
That is what I heard. If my car would have been covered it would have lasted to 2021...
Appreciate 0