ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Ontario (Canada) Service Advice

I need a recommendation for a good Dealer (or independent) that knows how to work on the Z4M somewhere in SW Ontario. The dealership in town (London) is...well...how to put it nicely... "incompetent". I also haven't had much luck with the other independent shops. No particular negative experiences, but when they don't return email or phone calls, I don't exactly want to leave my car with them.

I'm willing to drive out of town to get the car properly serviced, but would like some feedback. Sarnia and Kitchener/Waterloo are closest, but if I need to drive to GTA for the best service, then so be it. I've heard bad things about Parkview.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I'm in Waterloo. German Autotech is decent. I am about to try Furtmaier (sp?) as I have heard great things about him. If you check out the maxbimmer forum there is a thread there about shops in the area.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Cross Auto Oakville.

Techmax. Mississauga

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

We lived in London O for 25 years. Helped a friend go to Sarnia to buy, after we moved away.

We took our 850i to Windsor, before we knew about Sarnia.

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
Cross Auto Oakville.

Techmax. Mississauga
These are independents I presume? Are they familiar with the M cars? Specifically I'll be looking for someone to do the Inspection I in the spring, likely with the full valve adjustment shebang.

Quote:
We lived in London O for 25 years. Helped a friend go to Sarnia to buy, after we moved away.

We took our 850i to Windsor, before we knew about Sarnia.
You're talking about Sarnia Fine Cars, right? Same question as above regarding the M cars. I've become mildly possessive about my car now, and the way I've been treated in the past by the London dealer makes me want to take my business elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

They are independents. Sam at Cross Auto is extremely knowledgable. We took our 03 M3/Cab/SMG-Dinan there. The first owner did too.
Attila at TechMax in Mississauga is very skilled too. We continue to go to both. Very trustworthy.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

I have no experience with service in Sarnia. However, I would do business there if I was looking for a car.
Hope this helps

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
I have no experience with service in Sarnia. However, I would do business there if I was looking for a car.
Hope this helps
Thanks for the advice! Reading between the lines suggests you share my opinion of the London dealer
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
Thanks for the advice! Reading between the lines suggests you share my opinion of the London dealer
Our friend now deceased continued to go there for service work and it was well handled for him.

I chose not to; there's 2 sides to every story. I wish my experience had been good enough to earn future business.

Our experiences at the two shops I have recommended have been incredible.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I had bad luck on a few occasions with London. Once they "dropped" a socket in my engine bay after an oil change; I kept hearing a clunking for a week, when I took it back to them, they had a "not our fault" look on their face, but when the mechanic admitted it, they turned it into a joke, not even offering an "I'm sorry".

I had my E46 ZHP there (still under "CPO"), I had them look into the common VANOS noise, which they agreed was excessive, and would be covered under the CPO warranty. After leaving the car there for a week, I got some song and dance that they couldn't start the warranty work because the car had "excessive vacuum" or some BS, and that because the "oil dipstick" tube wasn't covered under warranty, I had to cough up $650 for them to do that first. When I pressed them to demonstrate this "excessive vacuum", the service adviser said "see", while taking off the oil filler cap, then looking puzzled "oh that's strange, it was stuck before". He said he'd look into it and call me back, they never did. I sent a followup email and got no reply.

Recently, I emailed for a quote to get the engine mount bolts on my Z4M replaced, and I never heard back. They claimed they've never seen the TSB for the engine bolts, they couldn't even find it in their system, I had to email it to them.

There is no way in HELL that I'm taking my Z4M to these guys. I'll spare you the colorful language of what I think of their abilities.

Has anyone had experience with "RMP Motors" in Etobicoke? I've ready very positive impressions at MaxBimmer
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
I had bad luck on a few occasions with London. Once they "dropped" a socket in my engine bay after an oil change; I kept hearing a clunking for a week, when I took it back to them, they had a "not our fault" look on their face, but when the mechanic admitted it, they turned it into a joke, not even offering an "I'm sorry".

I had my E46 ZHP there (still under "CPO"), I had them look into the common VANOS noise, which they agreed was excessive, and would be covered under the CPO warranty. After leaving the car there for a week, I got some song and dance that they couldn't start the warranty work because the car had "excessive vacuum" or some BS, and that because the "oil dipstick" tube wasn't covered under warranty, I had to cough up $650 for them to do that first. When I pressed them to demonstrate this "excessive vacuum", the service adviser said "see", while taking off the oil filler cap, then looking puzzled "oh that's strange, it was stuck before". He said he'd look into it and call me back, they never did. I sent a followup email and got no reply.

Recently, I emailed for a quote to get the engine mount bolts on my Z4M replaced, and I never heard back. They claimed they've never seen the TSB for the engine bolts, they couldn't even find it in their system, I had to email it to them.

There is no way in HELL that I'm taking my Z4M to these guys. I'll spare you the colorful language of what I think of their abilities.

Has anyone had experience with "RMP Motors" in Etobicoke? I've ready very positive impressions at MaxBimmer
RMP is as good or better than most Indy's in the GTA. Many US BMW NA TSB's do not find their way to the Canadian Service system for some reason?
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

ncnmra, good luck! let us know how you do.
DaveL

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
TaylorP
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4mmmm

Same Question.........how about the toronto area.....east side...or west
      11-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorP View Post
Same Question.........how about the toronto area.....east side...or west
see 2 posts up.
RMP has a good rep & is in the West end (407 & 27)
http://www.rmpmotors.com/
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I have emailed RMP and the responses were fast and very thorough. I'm putting my car away for the winter soon, but plan on visiting RMP in the spring for my Inspection I, and AS SSK install.

He quoted me a very reasonable price for the SSK, and when I asked him about Inspection I, he quickly asked if I wanted the Valve Adjustment or not, which impressed me considering that I've read that even many BMW dealers don't do this.

Let me know if you go, and how it works out. I have to drive almost 2h to get there, and the valve adjustment means I need to leave it overnight (car needs to be cold apparently), so I have to spend the night there......yes: that's how much I dislike the local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra
I need a recommendation for a good Dealer (or independent) that knows how to work on the Z4M somewhere in SW Ontario. The dealership in town (London) is...well...how to put it nicely... "incompetent". I also haven't had much luck with the other independent shops. No particular negative experiences, but when they don't return email or phone calls, I don't exactly want to leave my car with them.

I'm willing to drive out of town to get the car properly serviced, but would like some feedback. Sarnia and Kitchener/Waterloo are closest, but if I need to drive to GTA for the best service, then so be it. I've heard bad things about Parkview.
Cross is amazing but far more expensive than most. They deal with tons of high end makes and know the BMW well. They also are an authorized Dinan dealer.

RMP and Bimmersport are good too.
Appreciate 0