ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-27-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
spurto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Silver BMW Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
door lock rattle

there has been a distinct rattle coming from the driver side of the car for the past week. I finally isolated it and found a work around, the rattle is coming from the door lock plunger. it only rattles with the top up and the doors are unlocked. so now if i'm driving with the top up i make sure to lock the doors.

my previous car locked the doors automatically once i put the car in gear. I figured it was a safety feature and was surprised that my Z4 didn't...whatever the Z4 is still better.

Any ideas on a fix for the rattle coming from the plunger? And, Is it "safer" to drive with the doors locked for some reason? thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Sounds like the easiest way for you is to get a key programming done and activate the auto lock (and you get to choose other features at the same time).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurto View Post
there has been a distinct rattle coming from the driver side of the car for the past week. I finally isolated it and found a work around, the rattle is coming from the door lock plunger. it only rattles with the top up and the doors are unlocked. so now if i'm driving with the top up i make sure to lock the doors.

my previous car locked the doors automatically once i put the car in gear. I figured it was a safety feature and was surprised that my Z4 didn't...whatever the Z4 is still better.

Any ideas on a fix for the rattle coming from the plunger? And, Is it "safer" to drive with the doors locked for some reason? thanks
When the lock is "up", try adding a little bit of krytox lube to it and work the lock a few times. I found it's just the plastic rubbing against the collet of the plunger. The krytox won't stay greasy to attract dust and dirt, it will dry and remain as a dry lube and is safe for plastic. That rattle was hard to find and fix, I kept hearing it from the seat belt hangar on the seat.
      09-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
spurto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Silver BMW Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
thanks, i like both ideas :-)
Appreciate 0