ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
TexasCutter
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Sticking clutch z4m coupe

Above is a video of a stick in clutch in my 07 Z4m coupe. You can actually hear it happening when I’m at a stop. It only happens in first gear, and there is both an audible as well as a palpable stick that happens, then releases. The car has approximately 80,000 miles and has never been tracked. It is my daily driver. There’s never been any clutch work and/or transmission work done on the car. Wondering if anybody else has seen this happen.

Excuse the boots!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Never seen that before. I'm sure someone with more technical knowledge than me will come along shortly. Hope it's nothing difficult...
      04-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Do you hear that click near the pedals (like its in the footwell, and in the cabin) or more in the middle of the car around the ashtray.
You can also listen if a friend is operating the clutch that if its more loud in the cabin than under the car.
Its either a problem with your pedal/input cylinder or a problem with your slave cylinder/clutch fork/pressure plate
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
saintex
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC BSM E92 335xDrive BSM

WHS

sometimes the input shaft that the throwout bearing slides on gets dirty with friction disk material and restricts movement of the throwout bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Do you hear that click near the pedals (like its in the footwell, and in the cabin) or more in the middle of the car around the ashtray.
You can also listen if a friend is operating the clutch that if its more loud in the cabin than under the car.
Its either a problem with your pedal/input cylinder or a problem with your slave cylinder/clutch fork/pressure plate
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
TexasCutter
Rep

Quote:
It’s definitely not in the cabin. Center of the car outside for sure.

I’m guessing I’ve got a slave cylinder issue? But only in first gear? Also when the car is warmer and has been driven 20+ miles it randomly stops at times as well
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

You might have multiple, non related problems.

The clutch doesnt know if its in first or last gear. A clutch is a clutch and seperate of the gears in the gearbox. Its only connected to the input shaft.
Same goes for randomly stopping. If the engine quits, there can be no relation to the gearbox, unless the gearbox is totally jammed so that it bogs down the engine, but by that time you've heard a loud bang and some ratteling on the pavement from your gears falling out of a big hole in the box.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #7
TexasCutter
Rep

Quote:
You might have multiple, non related problems.

The clutch doesnt know if its in first or last gear. A clutch is a clutch and seperate of the gears in the gearbox. Its only connected to the input shaft.
Same goes for randomly stopping. If the engine quits, there can be no relation to the gearbox, unless the gearbox is totally jammed so that it bogs down the engine, but by that time you've heard a loud bang and some ratteling on the pavement from your gears falling out of a big hole in the box.
Ha - randomly stops meaning the sticking of the clutch in first gear stops.
Appreciate 0