ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-07-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
fdagen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Schrick

I am wondering if and how Schrick cams change the acceleration profile of the engine? I am considering the normal z4m upgrade cams I believe 288/280, but am wondering how they affect the power band. Anyone who has them installed please chime in.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

I'm very interested in some cams as well. I have done zero research yet but I'm hoping CSL cams are different from the OEM cams. Maybe that can be an option as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
fdagen
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have heard if you are going to go CSL, you might as well just go with Schrick. The total cost of the project is high so might as well get the max HP for a few hundred more. But that's all second hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I am thinking cams and Evolve CF airbox. This will make my car close to CSL specs. More information are available on m3forum.

My thought is to go with 280/272 which I believe came with CSL M3. I haven't make up my mind on which cam set to get. 288/280 provides more HP, but you'll lose some low end torque. It might work for me as I am in process of upgrading to 4.10.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

I am aware of (I think) one person who has cams on this forum. For the e46 platform cams/box/ etc bolt ons can yield up to 350-360 whp.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
fdagen
First Lieutenant
Rep

RobM you and I have the same thought process. Already have the air box. Looking at cams. Finally the diff.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #7
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

I HAD 280/272 Schrick cams and DLC followers on my previous engine (spun rod bearings that thankfully did not result in any long block damage other than to the crank) but those have since been sold together with the engine. Am on a much lower mileage completely stock engine now.

Comparisons:

1. Above 3000-4000rpms under load, the engine will pull noticeably harder with the schrick cams. I do not feel any difference in low end torque at all (3.91 gearing).
2. There is substantially more growl (much deeper tone and higher volume) under load.
3. I no longer have the dyno charts but conservatively these would add up to 20whp with an appropriate tune. It is more about the increased hp area under the dyno chart as the revs climb.
4. These are an expensive and tedious upgrade however and will pretty much require a top engine rebuild.
5. I must also add that, when I had my old engine apart, the Schrick cams were lightly scored along the same cylinder banks that the rod bearings had spun (cylinders 1 & 2). Apart from a much noisier valve train than a stock engine, I am not sure if this damage to the Schrick cams were from a lack of proper oil lubrication, pressure, revved when cold or otherwise (likely a combination of all three).

Bottom line: If you are thinking about this upgrade in combination with the Evolve CF airbox, I think this is as close to the CSL as you will ever get. I have no doubt it will sound absolutely mental and pull like 69 freight trains combined. Of course, consider the relative cost of this upgrade ($2k for the cams, another $1.5k for the followers, at least $1k for the install, another $1k for a proper tune again and the downtime) compared with the overall value, it is easy to see why so many go down the supercharger route for significantly more power and torque gains.
Appreciate 1
wigwig4.50
      01-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
fdagen
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you for the informed reply! Do you attribute any of the engine problems you had to the cams?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 02:12 AM   #9
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

No, I don't attribute any of the rod bearing troubles with the schrick cams. Simply don't have any scientific data to support such a theory. I think the cams were installed in 2009/2010 and saw track use at sepang maybe a total of 20 odd days over a 3 year period. In total about 50k miles on the cams after install and the lobes toward the front of the engine were scored. I do not think this is a quality issue, more of a valve adjustment (clearances were way out when I took over) and maybe questionable lubrication issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Hey all,
So I have the Schrick 288/280 cams installed, along with the evolve airbox.

They were installed at the same time last year, along with the evolve tune (have since changed to the Epic tune seconday to heel-toe issues)

Dynojet SAE corrected numbers were 334 at the wheels. Another forum member with the same mods (incl. airbox), but without cams, was able to get SAE corrected 318whp.

The uncorrected value where I am (sea-level in Boston) was 349whp.
I have not had a chance to get back to the dyno shop with the Epic tune to see if there is any difference.

On the practical side of things, the car pulls harder now in the upper revs, previously it would run out of puff above 6500-7K rpm, now it keeps climbing all the way to red-line, so subsequently my shift points when driving on track have changed. The car has no problem keeping pace and passing the likes of the C5 Z06 and the 991 Carrera S on track.

As far as rod bearings go, I dont think that its necessarily the cams that have contributed to damage, just running the motor at high rpm, as is done on track. I have swapped out the stock bearings for VAC ones, and upgrated to a higher volume oil pump at the same time, prior to the cam change. I have not inspected the bottom end of the motor since them to examine wear, although I could send an oil analysis.

Total engine mods: Turner pulleys, Fabspeed headers, upgraded section 1 with race cat, RPI exhaust, Cams and Evolve airbox.

Obviously I could have gone forced induction for far less, but I wanted to keep my rig N/A.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 01:37 PM   #11
fdagen
First Lieutenant
Rep

How was day to day drivability with the 288/280 with the evolve tune? I will only be using this for street and will have close to the same setup. I will prob stick with evolve cause it's cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerra View Post
Hey all,
So I have the Schrick 288/280 cams installed, along with the evolve airbox.

They were installed at the same time last year, along with the evolve tune (have since changed to the Epic tune seconday to heel-toe issues)

Dynojet SAE corrected numbers were 334 at the wheels. Another forum member with the same mods (incl. airbox), but without cams, was able to get SAE corrected 318whp.

The uncorrected value where I am (sea-level in Boston) was 349whp.
I have not had a chance to get back to the dyno shop with the Epic tune to see if there is any difference.

On the practical side of things, the car pulls harder now in the upper revs, previously it would run out of puff above 6500-7K rpm, now it keeps climbing all the way to red-line, so subsequently my shift points when driving on track have changed. The car has no problem keeping pace and passing the likes of the C5 Z06 and the 991 Carrera S on track.

As far as rod bearings go, I dont think that its necessarily the cams that have contributed to damage, just running the motor at high rpm, as is done on track. I have swapped out the stock bearings for VAC ones, and upgrated to a higher volume oil pump at the same time, prior to the cam change. I have not inspected the bottom end of the motor since them to examine wear, although I could send an oil analysis.

Total engine mods: Turner pulleys, Fabspeed headers, upgraded section 1 with race cat, RPI exhaust, Cams and Evolve airbox.

Obviously I could have gone forced induction for far less, but I wanted to keep my rig N/A.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

some on the m3forum have done 272/280 and reused their followers. depending on how things i think this would be the route i would pursue personally
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #13
fullerra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
The day to day driveability was fine. You really don't lose any appreciable (if any actual) mid-range torque (hence VANOS).

The acutal problem is more with the tune than the cams.
with the evolve tune there is a cold start rough idle, whereas there are no problems with the cold start epic tune.

If evolve is still doing their discount without the tune. I would take that route, and use the epic tune. The difference in price at that point is minimal.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #14
fdagen
First Lieutenant
Rep

I already have the CF air box and tune. Which currently has the cold start and heel toe issues. I am assuming they (evolve) would charge me a nominal fee to update my tune with the cams.If not I guess I would move to the epic. I wish evolve would fix their tune. I have offered to be the test subject.
Appreciate 0